Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
!st gen pontiac vibe/toyota matrix dual core radiator install

This job is by no means a drop in, it involved quite a but of problem solving and bending of metal frame parts. I wouldn't recommend it for a DDer that you want to keep as untouched as possible but for a rough and dirty track car, it works well.

The radiator is probably about 10-20% larger than the stock 1nz one just in frontal size alone. It is also a dual core and over twice as thick as the stock rad so all in all it is a considerable increase in cooling capacity. I was hitting 235F coolant temps at the track last year about 15 mins into a 30-40 minute session. There is no aftermarket 2nd gen Yaris performance radiator currently made. There is a 1st gen radiator that is a dual core but the same frontal area and even that one involves a few question marks in regards to installing it into a 2zr swapped Yaris.

MonkeyWrench Racing sells a performance rad , made by QRP for a 1st gen Vibe/Matrix and it covers the front area of the Yaris well. With the stock yaris factory rad there is a ton of space on the passenger side of the rad that is just blocked off with a plastic shroud. It is a waste of space if you want to increase the cooling capacity. The stocvk Vibe upper and lower hoses fit almost perfectly with minimal trimming and it even cleared my DC sports CAI tube which was the only unsure part.

The issue is that since the QRP rad is a cross flow and the tanks are on the side, the rad is a couple inches shorter in height than the yaris one. The way the yaris mounts its rad makes it virtually impossible for a cheap DIY radiator mounting tab fabrication. My only real option as to bend the crap out of the lower cross bar rad support to raise it up a bit. A jack and 2x2 does a decent enough job of this. I had to drill new hole in the upper and lower rad supports to fit the new rad mounting posts. To close the gap at the top support I ended up doubling up on rubber grommets that I had lying around from when I pulled the stock rad and tank from a 1st gen. This isn't the most secure option but the rad barely moves at all and is very secure.

The stock spring hose clamps will not fit over the Vibe hoses as they are a slightly larger diameter. They will fit over the hose but then they will not allow the hose to fit over the rolled part of the rad fitting. I just purchased some 1.5" screw clamps. I may replace them with t bolt clamps down the road but these are working great. As usual, I sprayed every hose mating with silicone spray - save your ass further down the road.

I mounted the mishimoto rad fan and spliced the factory fan wires to the new fan. I purchased a cheap generic overflow tank from amazon and fitted that up with a quick and dirty self made bracket mounted to holes I drilled and tapped into the shock tower. Everything clears very nicely now with plenty of room to spare. I had to flip my catch can mounting bracket upside down so the catch can would sit much lower and clear the upper radiator hose. I let the car idle for about 25 mins in 6*C ambient temps and the coolant peaked at 181*F and would not go above. I've been keeping ym eye on the coolant recovery tank and so far it has only dropped slightly after a short drive this morning. We will see how it goes later in this week.

Please excuse the lack of good pics, it decided to piss rain for 3 days straight and this was one of the few weekends I had to get this job done.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
tmontague

Posting an update after putting a few hundred km's on the car since I installed the new radiator.

I have noticed that the coolant temp stays at 185F almost always no matter the ambient temps. Keep in mind that the hottest day so far has only been 17C but even in stop and go when my car was well up to operating temps (oil 190F) it only ever peaked at 186.4F and after 30 seconds it went back down to 185F.

If I touch the bottom of the rad (coolant exit) it is still cool to the touch while the top (coolant intake) is almost too hot to touch with a bare hand. My coolant capacity went up somewhere in the 500-1L range as well due to the larger rad.

The real test will be in the middle of summer when oil temps are 220F and I'm stuck in traffic. But so far there is no doubt that the new dual core rad does has a much higher cooling capacity.

The only issue I had was a coolant leak from the drain petcock that sprayed every where once my system was pressurised. This turned out to be a ripped petcock o-ring. I replaced it with a new one from a generic o-ring kit I had and have had no issues since. The overflow bottle I am using is working very well so far without any issues.

I have yet to get the coolant hot enough to test if the Mishimoto rad fan works and I had no luck with jumping the fuse as I think the fan electrical system is much more complicated than simply jumping rad fan fuse #2. I tested the fan with a battery and it work so as long as it gets signal from the ecu then it should work no problem.

I ideally should use some sheet metal and make a shroud around the radiator as there are now large air gaps but if I have zero cooling issues on track then I see no reason to have to do this. For those guys going boosted in their 2zr and who will be pushing the car hard, this radiator is well worth the time based off of the extra cooling capacity. I'll post up temperature differences as the temps warm up
Old 04-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Another option is the Neon radiator: https://www.mishimoto.com/dodge-neon...tor-95-99.html

It is slightly shorter, but a good bit wider than the standard Yaris radiator, offers a little more (I think about 10%) capacity. This is what I went to after my aluminum xB radiator took a hit. The hoses lined up - bottom uses a Yaris hose, on the top I already used a 1st gen xB filler neck and hose set - and are the correct diameter for the 1NZFE.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
tmontague

That actually looks a bit better in fit regarding the height.

That would fit a 1nz well but the issue with the 2zr is that the engine shifts further to the drivers side leading to a potential issue with the upper rad hose.

With the vibe rad the upper hose fits perfectly and clears everything and the lower hose fits well too. Either way they all seem to need some modifications to make them work depending on engine set up
Old 04-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
That actually looks a bit better in fit regarding the height.

That would fit a 1nz well but the issue with the 2zr is that the engine shifts further to the drivers side leading to a potential issue with the upper rad hose.

With the vibe rad the upper hose fits perfectly and clears everything and the lower hose fits well too. Either way they all seem to need some modifications to make them work depending on engine set up
Good catch. Likely want more capacity than the Neon radiator offers for a 2ZR swap as well.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #6
tmontague

Welp, I found out why you cannot jump the fan #2 relay to check the fan wiring

Fan #1 integrated relay (the one you cannot jump) control the fan on and off
Fan #2 simply controls whether the fan is on high or low