Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-10-2022, 01:27 PM   #1
semitangible
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan 1.5L
Unhappy What just happened? TPMS suddenly faulty and heater blower not working

After about a half hour on a trip, my TPMS light starting flashing, then went on solid. 2008 Yaris sedan.

I don't know if it happened at the same time, but after I determined that the tires were good to go and abandoned my trip for home, I noticed my windshield was fogging even though I had my defrost on. The blower had stopped working.

On the way home, the car seemed to perform just fine.

When I got home I noticed a sound when I turned on the heater, like a relay clicking over, but the blower fan never kicks on.

I looked for the TPMS reset button, but it appears that the entire panel this would be mounted to was removed before I purchased the vehicle. There is a little brown wire dangling from my dash under my steering wheel, I have no idea what this is for but it was cut. Might be the TPMS reset.

I just got a tire replaced, it was bald.

This is after months of not being able to get the serpentine belt tight enough to stop it from squealing when I start the car.

I don't know much about cars, I'm no mechanic. After looking up the fuse panel diagram, it doesn't seem like these are part of the same circuit, is it possible a fuse blew out and took both? Are these related, or is it just a freak incident that both are malfunctioning from the same trip?

I've had a lot of problems with this car. It's about that time of year that my ABS sensors started failing, and I have the ABS engaging on dry pavement intermittently.

Part of me is wondering if it's time I let it go.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
semitangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 03:49 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Your batteries for the tea PMS we’re all good right? Maybe it’s a bad battery on the wheels

You just gotta retire replaced then the TPMS Failed

If all else fails take it to the shop and get professional help so you don’t lose the car.

Good luck and tell us what happens!
Old 12-10-2022, 09:21 PM   #3
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
My TPMS has come on in two episodes in the past year or two and the tires were fine. These two episodes happened when the car was at least about 13 years old. In the latest episode, just a month or two ago, the car was over 14 years old. The two episodes were separated by a period of at least several months and in each of the two episodes, the light came on for a while (a couple of hours) or a few times over a couple of days and then the TPMS started acting normally.

During both episodes I checked the tires periodically and they were fine. And eventually, after a day or two, the TPMS light stopped coming on.

So the problem with your fan and the TPMS may not be connected.

R.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 02:34 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
You might try googling YouTube with the problems
Old 12-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #5
thetut

Drives: 2007 4dr sedan
You've got 2 separate issues.

TPMS - Probably weak battery in one of your sensors. Any garage should be able to test them for you.

BLOWER - Try turning on the fan and reaching under the glove box give it a couple of whacks with your hand. If it starts, it has bad contacts on the brushes then the motor is bad and should be replaced.

If it doesn't start, check for 12vdc at the plug that goes to the motor. If there is 12vdc then the motor is bad and should be replaced.

If there isn't 12vdc then the likely suspect is the relay.
thetut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 03:33 AM   #6
devwilkey
Mechanic

Drives: WIGO
There could be a few causes for your TPMS malfunctioning, and the most likely one is a loose or broken connection. If the sensor is unable to detect inflation pressure from the tire, it will issue an error message and refuse to operate. In order to fix this issue, you'll need to replace the TPMS sensor.
devwilkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 heater blower tpms