Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
menz

Drives: yairs blue 2007 automatic 1.3
Unhappy grinding noise during acceleration and air condition problems

I am having a trouble i think it is with the transmission. I hear a grinding noise while accelerating at around 1500 rpms and goes away after that before i reach 2000. it happens at every gear first, second, reverse etc... It does not when I am in normal or park. I have a 2007 toyota yaris 1.3 litre automatic transmission. My car now has 264thousand kilometers. I own this car since 2007 brand new. I think the sound has been here for quite a while. I also hear a whining noise during acceleration I think this is how it all started. Unfortunately, I have been doing the maintenance at a service center I know and can not remember what they have been doing about the transmission oil, if they change it or just added oil. I think the last time was they added some oil around 190thousand kilometers. Last time i went there they told me the oil was fine. so any help would be much appreciated about this matter. the other problem I have is that my air condition all of a sudden is not cooling anymore. I went to charge the cooling gas and the guy told me that I have a leak in the serpentine. I do not know what is it exactly and i hear the leak noise. He said there is nothing he can do about it at the moment and that I have two options either weld the leak or buy a new one. So how much would a new one cost and would welding where it leaks is a good alternative or not. It is really hot here in Egypt and I use my car for travel on the highway only 270 kms daily to and from work. please help my yuri is sick
menz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
menz

still no reply 62 views and noone replied
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
curtmaxwall
Banned

Drives: Toyota Yaris Spirit
I think it's an engine belt. Replace the engine belt and check whether the sound disappears or not. Or at the same time also check that is timing belt lashing the metal cover or not.
curtmaxwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
09sedan

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
YOU check your transmission oil , if you see its dark and smelling like its burned, then your transmission may be dead/dying, if it shifts smoothly and the oil is dark red and doesnt smell burned then its time to change it, normally you do drain and fill , at this high km, get the service center (is it a toyota service center?) to drop the transmission pan and replace the filter ( that will use up about 4 liters of "toyota World standard automatic transmission fluid" (ONLY use this fluid!!!)

if the mechanic says there is a leak in the AC system at the serpentine belt then thats the AC compressor which runs off the serpentine belt, have him show you whats leaking and post a picture on here and we can help you more.

get your mechanic to replace your serpentine belt if its never been done before, at 260,000 km the belt will be worn especially from the egyptian heat...

make sure you DOCUMENT EVERYTHING done to the car on paper, so you know whats been done, i have a whole stack of paperwork from my mechanic for my oil changes etc.
09sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by menz View Post
still no reply 62 views and noone replied
Maybe 62 people didn't know what to tell you. ever thought about that?
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09sedan View Post
YOU check your transmission oil , if you see its dark and smelling like its burned, then your transmission may be dead/dying, if it shifts smoothly and the oil is dark red and doesnt smell burned then its time to change it, normally you do drain and fill , at this high km, get the service center (is it a toyota service center?) to drop the transmission pan and replace the filter ( that will use up about 4 liters of "toyota World standard automatic transmission fluid" (ONLY use this fluid!!!)

if the mechanic says there is a leak in the AC system at the serpentine belt then thats the AC compressor which runs off the serpentine belt, have him show you whats leaking and post a picture on here and we can help you more.

get your mechanic to replace your serpentine belt if its never been done before, at 260,000 km the belt will be worn especially from the egyptian heat...

make sure you DOCUMENT EVERYTHING done to the car on paper, so you know whats been done, i have a whole stack of paperwork from my mechanic for my oil changes etc.
great place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
Maybe 62 people didn't know what to tell you. ever thought about that?
just pretend to be a friendly person.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
menz

well thanks so much so far. It was the serpentine condenser, I welded it and so far the ac is working fine. As for the sound I highly doubt it is from the engine, because I do not hear the sound when I rev the engine at N or P, only if i am moving. Moreover, I recently realized that it does not happen all the time. Thank guys so much. I will update you if anything else happened
Old 03-28-2015, 11:47 PM   #8
Mikastef

Drives: Yaris
Hi menz. Did you figure it out ?
Mikastef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, automatic transmission, grinding noise