Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-15-2015, 03:43 AM   #1
refael22

Drives: yaris styile ng
junk disc brakes

Hi
I live in a mountainous area with roads full in at speed bumpWhich cause premature wear of the brakes
after only 8000 miles i hade to replace the originals brake pads and deformatie discs !
I drive relaxed on the road and I can not find any reason to this wear particular bad quality of front discs and pads.
Do you have any recommendations on the pads and discs of high quality?
Not care paying more and not replacing old junk with a new one
refael22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:13 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
If you have the money get Toyota parts. They are the best quality and will last the longest.

If you figure out how to drive on your hilly roads!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:24 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Standard or auto tranny? If standard then use the engine to slow you down which will help reduce some of the wear
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
I would think because of the region, heat & dust would accelerate wear
See if you can find a ceramic pad. The extra cost would be justified because of the
additional life of the pads.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:18 AM   #5
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Standard or auto tranny? If standard then use the engine to slow you down which will help reduce some of the wear

Actually, the Yaris automatic.like any A/T will use engine braking in the lower gears. Unlike most others, it will also brake with the engine in high gear, via the computer controls. Braking isn't as strong as with a standard, but it's enough to save some brake lining.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Actually, the Yaris automatic.like any A/T will use engine braking in the lower gears. Unlike most others, it will also brake with the engine in high gear, via the computer controls. Braking isn't as strong as with a standard, but it's enough to save some brake lining.[/QUOTE]

Not anywhere close to what you can do w/ an m/t. Hence why on steep hills many ppl will put their a/t in 2 or 3 which will then work better. A typical a/t will never let the rpm's get to 4,000 or so to slow the car if it is in "D".
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:52 PM   #7
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Not anywhere close to what you can do w/ an m/t. Hence why on steep hills many ppl will put their a/t in 2 or 3 which will then work better. A typical a/t will never let the rpm's get to 4,000 or so to slow the car if it is in "D".
You're probably right. Personally, I figure replacing brake lining is cheap enough that I usually just use the brakes on a really steep hill. The computer assisted engine braking is pretty neat, though, on ordinary hills.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, disc, pads