Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Clear coat failure?

There's bubbling on the top part of handle. Is this the beginning of clear coat failure?

Last edited by wooverstone8; 02-24-2015 at 11:27 PM.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:01 AM   #2
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Strange, I was almost certain that the door handles were made of plastic.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:47 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooverstone8 View Post
There's bubbling on the top part of handle. Is this the beginning of clear coat failure?

Is your car always parked under the sun? My Civic started peeling on the door handles too. And it's been 2-3 years it's always parked on the same spot the same way. Sunlight always shine on one side of the car and that side is completely destroyed by UV Rays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheekeebut View Post
Strange, I was almost certain that the door handles were made of plastic.

They are. And is also the reason why they would start to peel first under certain conditions.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:54 AM   #4
wooverstone8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Is your car always parked under the sun? My Civic started peeling on the door handles too. And it's been 2-3 years it's always parked on the same spot the same way. Sunlight always shine on one side of the car and that side is completely destroyed by UV Rays.

They are. And is also the reason why they would start to peel first under certain conditions.
I've been parking my Yaris the same spot for 6 years now. It's always under the sun.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:09 AM   #5
wooverstone8

Are the door handles painted independently of the main car body? The rest of the paint appears to be OK except for the driver door handle.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
IllusionX

Maybe? My civic also only the handles are peeling and only one side. That side that is always under the sun.

Every part of the car should follow the same paint batch at the assembly line, but I'm not sure about plastic parts.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:58 AM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
A few years back the clear coat on my rear bumper started fading/cracking and I had it resprayed. More recently, the front bumper and side mirrors started looking really dull, so I had them resprayed too. The paint elsewhere has held up pretty well, but I might end up having the hood resprayed because it's not as shiny as it once was.

Back in '07 when the Yaris debuted in the US and I was new to this forum, I distinctly remember a lot of conversation about the paint on these cars not being of the highest quality. Prior to the Yaris I had a '98 Civic that needed some respraying after 5-6 yrs. At the end of the day, the sun/rain/etc. kills paint.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:04 PM   #8
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
the clear is junk, my 07 blazing blue lost the entire roof and the hood is going too. I live in PA which just adds insult to injury, needless to say i am pissed.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #9
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6 View Post
the clear is junk, my 07 blazing blue lost the entire roof and the hood is going too. I live in PA which just adds insult to injury, needless to say i am pissed.
My black sand pearl 08's roof and hood are shot too! I also also irritated by it, but I live in southcentral Texas and it's been parked outdoors the entire time I've owned it (since new). Still wondering if anything can be done for it outside of a full respray...
Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
IllusionX

Clear coat failure?

There is a problem with the blazing blue Yaris. Especially those who don't protect their paint and sit under the sun all day long.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #11
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
My blazing blue has a few spots on the roof.

I've been waxing the car for a few months, and that's helped (from preventing it from getting worse). Keep them clean and protected with a good coat of wax.

I've tried several, and am currently trying a new one. My go-to wax is still Meguiar's Hi-Tech Yellow #26. Comes in either paste or liquid and is fairly cheap. I use the paste version.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #12
wooverstone8

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
My blazing blue has a few spots on the roof.

I've been waxing the car for a few months, and that's helped (from preventing it from getting worse). Keep them clean and protected with a good coat of wax.

I've tried several, and am currently trying a new one. My go-to wax is still Meguiar's Hi-Tech Yellow #26. Comes in either paste or liquid and is fairly cheap. I use the paste version.
I've been using Meguiar's Gold Class carnauba liquid wax for the last two years. It's very easy to apply and remove by hand. Is the Hi-Tech Yellow wax easy to apply and remove by hand or do I need dual action polisher?
Old 02-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #13
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
My mirrors are a mess, and the roof has two areas where the clear coat is bubbling and flaking off.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
wooverstone8

Hopefully the clear coat peeling is only limited to plastic parts and not the entire car. I would hate to have the whole car repainted within a few years...I'm planning on keeping the Yaris for at least another five years.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #15
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Dude hate to tell you but the parts that are peeling worst are metal, ie: the roof and hood. If you don't have the protection of a garage i believe you are screwed as well. I tried to argue with toyota about it and was given a total line of BS about "environmental factors" Bottom line $12000 dollar car and unless they are being sued over a safety issue they just don't care.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:13 AM   #16
IllusionX

Because not every single car have the problem. Probably if it was still under warranty. I had my trunk lid repainted under warranty.

My car sits under the sun all the time. I rotate my car so it doesn't shine the same side everyday, and I wax it twice a year. Paint is perfect where it is not scratched.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #17
wooverstone8

I washed the Yaris and discovered bubbling in other spots. There's bubbling on the side mirrors and the front fascia. I waxed the car using Meguiar's Gold Class carnauba liquid wax. My local auto parts store didn't have Hi-Tech yellow wax...
Old 03-08-2015, 12:03 AM   #18
powder puff

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Pearl Yaris
my roof has been peeling bad since i got the car last oct. i noticed yesterday my hood had a bad spot that was peeling. im a truck driver so my car sits monday thru friday in the same spot in the sun. im in the dfw area so i get that texas sun all the time
powder puff is offline   Reply With Quote