Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #37
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I totally agree.
Yaris' don't fare all that well in crash tests either. I drive by three basic rules:

Don't be in a hurry.
Don't be angry.
Don't daydream.
Reminds me of my favorite Italian proverb:

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano.
He who goes slowly goes safely and goes far.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #38
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
Lets just say there is also an Abarth that come to our autocross events in stc class. He doesn't come close to my raw times.

I will still take a yaris over a Abarth any day
Are both cars prepared equally?
Is the same person driving both cars?

This is poor comparison. The driver has more impact than anything else in Solo. A newbie in a shinny new Z06 Corvette could get beat by a Yaris, it means nothing unless all things are equal.

The Yaris should not be compared to an Abarth, it is much more similar to the standard 500. Same course, same driver, same level of car prep: the Yaris will beat the 500, but the Abarth will beat the Yaris.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #39
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Are both cars prepared equally?
Is the same person driving both cars?

This is poor comparison. The driver has more impact than anything else in Solo. A newbie in a shinny new Z06 Corvette could get beat by a Yaris, it means nothing unless all things are equal.

The Yaris should not be compared to an Abarth, it is much more similar to the standard 500. Same course, same driver, same level of car prep: the Yaris will beat the 500, but the Abarth will beat the Yaris.
All true facts... It is a crappy comparison.

I will still pick the yaris over an Abarth.. unless they change the look of it. It looks like a baseball cap to me still..
Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #40
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
well, that was before a revised epa cycle in the late 80's, then of course a more heavily revised epa protocol for 2008. so, that 38/52 would be much lower under todays testing cycle.

of course, nobody can make a car that light today....or that unsafe.

I think if you were to drive and calculate your mpg, it would still be pretty amazing.

Either way.. Achieving good mileage with crap fuel efficiency. Imagine the same engine properly managed?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #41
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
It looks like a baseball cap to me still..
LOL. I can totally see that.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #42
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Oh Yeah, we get in the wife's Camry, it was like jumpin from the Camry to the Capirce, takes quite a few turns and scenarios to get used to the handling. Yaris definitely fun to drive and predictable.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #43
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I had 3 different Honda CRX's in the 80's. My last one, an '88, I got rid of for a new 1997 Chevy Cavalier (I regretted that!). The Yaris is the closest affordable car I could find that made me feel like I had another CRX.
I miss my 1986 CRX Si. Bought it new and drove it until 1989 or so. I still kick myself for trading it in on an Acura Integra. Most fun car I have ever owned. Probably why I want to buy a 2007-2011 Yaris as my next vehicle, with manual transmission and crank windows.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #44
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
with manual transmission and crank windows.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #45
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Thanks for resuscitating this thread and sorry for the drift but, is it just my eyes or has the Fiat 500 (L?) and the MINI Clubman (?) gotten HUGE? I was stopped next to both of these on separate occasions and the first thing I thought both times was, "I thought these were a whole lot smaller".
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote