Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #19
Ronnie V

Drives: 04 3dr HB and 04 5dr RS
So I call in today about noon. I got Wes in the service department. After briefly telling him about my issue he told me that they would have to deal with it by email. I never actually sent BC USA an email, my original inquiry went to the BC Racing Canadian retailer........so I can not see how Wes nor anyone else at BC USA could know anything about my problem.

After asking approximately how long I would be waiting for a response I was told hopefully by the end of the week.

Sigh, another company that makes promises and then once they have your money the service stops.

I have a $1500 set of coilovers that are not what I ordered.

I will wait here patiently for BC Racing USA to get back to me, I will update as I get info.......

Last edited by Ronnie V; 10-08-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Ronnie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #20
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
When I had a warranty inquiry regarding my end links I contacted bc canada which took forever to get a hold of. They had no info on warranties and told me I had to contact bc north America which eventually gave me an answer.

Did you order through PayPal or credit card? If they don't end up helping then you can open a dispute with them saying you never received what you paid for
Old 10-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #21
Ronnie V

Credit Card. I believe it was BC North America I was speaking too.

I really hope it doesn't come to that, I just want the set of properly valved coilovers that I ordered........so easy.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #22
Ronnie V

Well a week has passed and nothing back yet from BC North America. I have found some white label style stickers on the shocks where the dust boot covers the shock. The numbers don;t make much sense but they are higher on the front pair than the rear.

Since my spring rates/dampening are supposed to be higher on the rear this again makes no sense.

If anyone is brave enough to order this setup I would love to know what the "T", "C", and "KG" numbers are on these little white labels.

I will post when BC North America eventually gets back to me. BC Canada has been pretty good so far. They have been responsive and they genuinely seem to care about this incorrect valving concern.

More when I have it.........
Old 10-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #23
tmontague

I wonder if they valved your shocks opposite to what they are supposed to be?

Sorry again for not being much help with the sticker numbers, they are completely wiped clean on both my tears. Doesn't help that I covered them in Krown when I installed tjem
Old 10-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #24
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
I’m not sure what your complaints are Ronnie but having a bouncy ride when the damper is turned to full soft is how it should be.

The damper adjustment “controls” the spring movement. So a setting of 1 will allow the spring to react on its own vs a setting of 32 having full fluid restriction in the damper.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #25
Ronnie V

Trev, no worries at all man! Thanks for trying.

Tom, I have put that question to Trev as well. I suspected that in the full soft position the shock may indeed be bouncy but according to Trev, with his on the full soft setting they are still not bouncy. I have asked this same question to BC NA and have yet to hear back.

Trev runs his rears from about 9-11 in from Full soft at the track. If I set my shocks to 10 from full soft the shock rebounds 3 times before coming to a rest. I could be wrong but this seems incorrect to me.......like a lack of dampening........again I could be wrong.

Incidentally I was at the track last night and I had them set to 22 from full soft. They seemed fine and the car was working well.

If my suspicions that my shocks are valved wrong are incorrect then why can't BC NA just answer my questions?

More about the little white labels that are on the dampeners under the dust boot since I believe these are the valving numbers. The numbers on my fronts are higher than the numbers on my rears. If my dampeners are supposed to be valved for 7k front and 9k rears these "T" and "C" values should be higher on the rears than the fronts.

Hopefully BC gets back to me this week with some answers. I truthfully hope I am the problem here. It would mean that my new coilovers are correct and this is all I truly want.

I'll post again when BC gets back to me.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:58 AM   #26
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I wonder if i'm just lucky but I've been talking to Kevin from BC through email all last week about the spring setup I want to run. He does have a smaller 9k spring for the rear but recommends changing out my shocks to correctly match the spring.

I'll shoot Kevin an email after autocross this Sunday to see if he can provide me more info on the white labels. I have a feeling the labels have worn off on mine but i'll check and report back.

-Arvin
fujiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #27
Ronnie V

Hi Arvin,

I have also spent some time on the phone with Kevin. To be honest the sales team are very helpful. It's when you have to deal with Tech at BC NA that the problem arises.

When you say "changing out the shock" you mean revalve or a shorter shock?

Let hope you can get some info ont he white labels. Even if just what the numbers mean. My guess.......

T = ?
C = Compression
kg = Volume of air in the shock

The numbers are slightly different from side to side which tells me they build many shocks, test them, then assign closely matching pairs.

I'm interested to hear what Kevin has to say.

Thanks!

Ron
Old 10-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #28
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie V View Post
Hi Arvin,

I have also spent some time on the phone with Kevin. To be honest the sales team are very helpful. It's when you have to deal with Tech at BC NA that the problem arises.

Let hope you can get some info ont he white labels. Even if just what the numbers mean. My guess.......

T = ?
C = Compression

The numbers are slightly different from side to side which tells me they build many shocks, test them, then assign closely matching pairs.

Thanks!

Ron
Yes BC attempts to pair close shocks together where as FA actually will revalve a shock until it dynos the sake as the others within a narrow range. They also send you dyno charts of each shock when you receive the coilovers.

I've have the same experience as you. Sales team is great and very eager to help and get back to you. Tech is not easy to get a hold of and take a while to get back to you.

It took me over a week and a half to get a proper reply about my endlinks and warranty. No one could answer a simple question of are they covered under warranty - BC canada had to refer me to BC NA. FWIW my endlinks are fine it was an untorqued nylock nut that was the culprit.

For the price BC's are great (assuming you have a proper valved set) and I am happy with them. Their after purchase customer support seems to be severely lacking and for almost the same price there are other companies that are smaller and that do a better job. Unfortunately they don't offer customs rear spring rates like BC does.

I hope everything gets settled in the end and you end up with coilovers you are happy with. They really are a decent suspension and really transform the car once dialed in. After some small changes in rear dampening on my last track day I finally stopped the rear end from swinging out and the car is super neutral now - much more confidence inspiring

FWIW my rare dampening is set at 20 for the track and 11 for daily driving. It's my fronts that are 6 for dding and 11 for the track
Old 10-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #29
Ronnie V

I'm sure in the end it'll all be fine. It would be so easy if the tech guy cold just call me and answer some of my very simple questions. I am starting to believe that they are fine but the label stickers on mine say otherwise..............

Good to know on your rear dampening for the track....I obviously remembered that post incorrectly. I'm gonna set mine to 11 and go for a rip. My brakes sound like Ken Blocks Fiesta after Gymkhana 4........ :D
Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 AM   #30
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie V View Post
Hi Arvin,

T = ?
C = Compression

Thanks!

Ron
They suggested a shorter shock if I get the 6" 9k springs, however I got a response back today saying they can valve the new shocks to match the springs or have them valved to a custom setting, say running a 9k spring but valved to 14k.

Wasn't able to provide me any specific info on the white sticker other than it does relate to the dyno shock curve. Perhaps this could be something floating around? It would be nice if they could provide this chart for customers who purchased their products.

-Arvin
fujiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #31
Ronnie V

Hi Arvin,

Thanks for trying. At least we have had someone confirm the numbers do in fact relate to the dyno curve for the dampeners.

Take their "promises" of re-valving with a grain of salt. I am sure mine are incorrect and it's been a week and a half since my original inquiry with BC North America Tech.

This is some GREAT customer service here. (eye rolly emoji)

I am still optimistic that I can get this sorted out by my advice to any new buyers that want custom spring rates/valving would be to ask for the shock dyno paperwork with their dampeners.

Stay tuned..........
Old 10-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #32
Ronnie V

and BTW, with my shocks on 11 from full soft the back of my car bounces continuously on a mildly bumpy road.

This is so wrong its comical.........
Old 10-30-2018, 05:25 PM   #33
Ronnie V

Still working away at this. BC Canada called me today again. Nice people.

Tech wants to know if my Echo is a Drift Car. Interesting........it got me wondering if anyone in the history of the world has ever built a FWD drift car.

I was on the floor laughing. Fortune Autos on the way.

Good luck to any and all that want a set of "Custom Valved" coilovers from BC racing.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #34
tmontague

Wow their lack of understanding their own product is astonishing.

Are you using BC's rear spring perch and swift springs and just using fortune auto for their shocks?
Old 10-31-2018, 05:02 AM   #35
Ronnie V

That's the plan Trev. Although Eibach makes the springs I need for the rear as well. I had the Fortune Auto's valved to 8K/10K. All I am getting from Fortune Auto is the shocks for the rear.......I will probably order the 10K springs from Eibach.

I got DSG edition Fortune Autos, they include all shock dyno paperwork with them. :)
Old 11-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #36
Ronnie V

Update.........

At BC racings request I had sent them a video of the car.

I had the shocks set on 5 in from full soft and the car clearly rebounding 3-4 times before coming to a rest.

Low and behold I have been told this is exactly what BC racing shocks are supposed to do. Anyone seeking a bouncy track car should contact BC racing for their suspension needs.

Anyone that wants a properly dampened track car should call any other coilover manufacturer on earth. In the end I went with Fortune Auto.

If someone by chance actually does order a set of "custom valved" coilovers at these rates I would love to know what the values on the white stickers are. I am dying to know if I was just unlucky or if BC racing says they revalve and actually just throw a set of springs on and ship them out.

I have a feeling BC racing revalves NOTHING, EVER, for ANYONE.

Buyer beware.