Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 AM   #37
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Sorry ricko. Can't discuss at length here for fear of getting off topic though I like the point that you brought up two posts ago. Wind directions do count. However, the effects of different wind directions can be off set by taking long term averages with a big number of samples.
In other words, when one wants to get an idea of the fuel efficiency of the Yaris, one just need to read as many posts as possible by different members about the car's fuel economy in order to help oneself arrive at a reasonably accurate estimate.

Last edited by swng; 06-06-2006 at 01:20 AM.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:06 AM   #38
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
Ok, this will clear up all the "i cant get that mpg, wtf"

Yaris US MPG:
34 city (short trips, lots of stops)
40 hwy (doing 55 mph or so, hitting a light every once in a while, maybe some traffic slow downs)
50 expwy (60 mph, no stops at all, this is my rating btw, not posted anywhere)

The yaris is rated at 39 mpg for the auto, it clearly states:

Aucutal milage will vary with options, driving conditoins, driving habits and vehicles conditons.
Results reported to the EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between:
28-40 city
33-45 hwy (at 80 mph i averaged 35 mpg, at 60 i averaged 51, sounds right within that range)

So 40 city and 45 hwy have been achieved.

Last edited by pennystocks; 06-06-2006 at 01:17 AM.
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #39
YotaYarisUSA

Drives: Yaris Sedan,Pacific Blue
That scan gauge looks pretty cool,is it hard to install? And can it harm the Yaris or void the warranty for the car? How accurate is it, and where can you buy one, besides their online site? Can you pick one up at ,say an Auto parts store,or something like that. I don't if I trust ordering online from their,website. How many ppl on here use Scan gauge?

Thanks,for your time

YotaYarisUSA
YotaYarisUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #40
pennystocks

I know some online stores sell em but for the most part its online only. Easy install, jsut plugs into your obdii scan port. Its pretty much dead on, it said i used up 9.6 gallons, i could only squeze in 9.8 on my last fill up.

Seriously just having this has got me up 2-3 mpg.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #41
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
God I cant wait till I get my Yaris late this year or early next year.
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:23 PM   #42
YotaYarisUSA

I think I'm going to order the scan gauge, check out this review http://hybridcars.about.com/od/owner...augereview.htm plus what pennystocks says about it,this seems like a very useful tool and like the reviews say,it can say you money when and if that check engine light comes on :)

Have a great day!

YotaYarisUSA
Old 06-07-2006, 08:55 PM   #43
YotaYarisUSA

Just ordered my scangauge, how long did it take to get yours? Their website says 2 day shipping,I hope I get mine soon :)

YotaYarisUSA
Old 06-08-2006, 02:43 AM   #44
pennystocks

It says 2 day shipping but it also says 7 days to ship it :( Took em 2 weeks even for mine and it wasnt shipped on day 9 when i called em, then they shipped it. Auh man it felt like xmas when i got mine =D

Another thing thats kinda lame, you cant put any of the trip info into the gauge, like you can look at instant mpg, volts rpm throttle ect. all at once but you have to switch to the trip to get Avg. MPG, miles to empty ect. then swith back to the gauges. It'd be so nice to look at Avg. MPG and instand MPG at the same time.
I emailed em and they said they were looking at doing that in the future, also in august you can hook it up to a laptop, hopfully then upgrade it so it can do this

Also already had the check engine light come on once
p2118
Throttle Actuator Current Range/Performance Problem

Probaly nothing major, just cleared it.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:41 AM   #45
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Couple Questions:

can you adjust the scangauge II for different tire profiles? For example, a large truck with BIG tires...

how sure are you guys about your vehicle weight? Don't you have to put in a decently accurate weight calculation for the scangauge to be accurate?
Old 07-19-2006, 02:35 PM   #46
robcrowell

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I'm getting about 38MPG with my Automatic sedan. I put a few hundred miles a week on my Yaris, mostly stop and start driving. I don't mean redlights or stop signs either. I work in advertising and visit around 20 clients each day. I drive and turn the car off, then start it up and go to the next place. I think 38 MPG is amazing for the type of driving I do!
robcrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #47
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I'm getting about 41mpg and I don't drive like an old lady...but I don't baby it either. And that is with the A/C on 2.
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:18 AM   #48
asa805

Drives: 07 White 2dr Yaris Hatch
ok i dont get how people are getting these numbers. I seriously think somethign is wrong with myc ar and am wondering what if i should go in and have it looked at under teh warranty or complain to my dealer. Ive had my car almost 2 months and after 2 fillups im only getting 25mpg average. WTF??? Someone please tell me somethign must be wrong. I went to two different gas stations too ... i doubt both of them water down the gas.

IM so upset. :(

ps. i drive pretty slow, 65 tops but mostly 60ish on highways. I totally watch how i accelerate and slow/stop. I keep my foot off the brakes and coast when slowing down. Seriously im doing everythign right. Got my tire pressure checked and added some air. What gives ... really?
asa805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:22 AM   #49
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
The only thing i can think of is possibly you roll down the window while driving at highway speed, but I don't think you did.
Maybe the car is not broken in yet, it will get better fuel economy once broken in.

I consistantly get around 7.4 L/100km my first 8 fill u I guess, but now i got around 6.7L/100km now. Well may it is the break-in period, otherwise i can't think of any reason for you
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:01 AM   #50
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asa805
ok i dont get how people are getting these numbers. I seriously think somethign is wrong with myc ar and am wondering what if i should go in and have it looked at under teh warranty or complain to my dealer. Ive had my car almost 2 months and after 2 fillups im only getting 25mpg average. WTF??? Someone please tell me somethign must be wrong. I went to two different gas stations too ... i doubt both of them water down the gas.

IM so upset. :(

ps. i drive pretty slow, 65 tops but mostly 60ish on highways. I totally watch how i accelerate and slow/stop. I keep my foot off the brakes and coast when slowing down. Seriously im doing everythign right. Got my tire pressure checked and added some air. What gives ... really?
Maybe you should TRY driving like you want to..and see if that changes things. I tried the same thing on a manual transmision truck not too long back : i ended up getting worse gas mileage when i was being "stingy" with the gas..Plus, the electronic throttle system takes some time to "learn and adjust" to the way you drive..
Old 07-20-2006, 09:52 AM   #51
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Not to add fuel to the fire, but I avg. 32 mpg in my Scion xB, which is heavier and less aerodynamic. I'd follow TRD Yaris' advice, and if after a few tank you're still getting 25 mpg, I'd bring it in.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:02 AM   #52
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
asa805, you will see big improvements as your car breaks in, don't worry, my first few tanks went REALLY quick, i think the first was 27 mpg (u.s.),
i'm now around 35-40 mpg (depending on amount of city/hwy driving) with 10,000 km on the engine.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #53
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I thought that Toyotas were sold already broken in before you buy? I have put 3200 miles on mine now and the worst tank was 37mpg....but mostly have been around the advertised 40. I would think about looking into a dealership to have them look at things for sure after taking TRD's advice.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #54
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

A couple questions for ya:

What type of fuel additives do they add in your area..in dallas area, they have been adding crappy stuff that's supposed to pollute less..but sucks.

Are you in high altitude?

Do you "rev-match" gears when you shift?

TRY FOLLOWING THIS SHIFT "schedule". I found this in the manual while rummaging.

**Page 128 2007 "Toyota Yaris Owner's Manual"
"Recommended Shifting Speeds - The transmission is fully synchronized and upshifting or downshifting is easy.

For the best compromise betweeen fuel economy and vehicle performance, you should upshift or downshift at the following speeds (sucks that it's not in RPMs..though it wouldn't matter for the liftback anyway )

Low Altitude
gear mph
1 to 2 or 2 to 1 15
2 to 3 or 3 to 2 25
3 to 4 or 4 to 3 40
4 to 5 or 5 to 4 (45/40) <--dunno what this means..two values for manual trans?)

***Page 218- "2007 Toyota Yaris Owner's Manual"
Referred in Appendix as "Fuel Economy"

A LOT OF GOOD TIPS FOR PRIMO GAS MILEAGE INCLUDING PROPER TIRE PRESSURE, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.

I'm a bit too busy to type out anymore of the manual, but i hope these help.
I actually shift from 1st to 2nd at about 20 ( ) and from there it all seems pretty tame..but i don't have my scangauge runnin' max rpm so i dunno...I just kinda "feel" the way the car takes to the gears...

11.1 gallons.. i fill up within 10 miles of the first low gas level indicator and I can get 10.6 to 10.8 g in each fillup. I'm still putting together a 500 mile drive for delivery work this week...pure suburban at a fast pace. i'm keeping track of every gallon down to the .01 (gas receipts) and using the same fill-up station pump everytime... 500 miles on the trip 1 and beaucoups gas receipts = a darn good estimate of AVERAGE mileage and proof that the Scangauge II Datalogging of gas useage and mileage are indeed accurate

You also gotta consider that these cars have ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL..basically meaning that the computer accelerates the engine based off what you tell it..and what it decides is necessary. I don't know how the "learning logic" of it works..but it's supposed to "adjust" to your driving habits from datalogging how you've driven in the past. I had it in my Lexus, and it took some time to get use to..

I hope your mileage goes up.