Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2017, 01:35 AM   #1
heytim

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Taping over windshield third visor?

Does any one know if it's safe/OK to stick on something over the windshield third visor? I think that's what it's called...those black dots on the upper centre part of the windshield where the mirror is (not my picture):

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  89.5 KB

Reason why I'm asking is I just bought a new dashcam (the ones that are mounted with double sided tape), and I'm trying to find the best place to stick it so that it's as discrete / hidden from the outside as possible.

The place below the mirror seems to be the best place for doing so, but I would be taping over those black dots. If I need to remove the camera later (and ripping away the tape from the windshield), will those dots peel off with the tape?

Thanks in advance :)
heytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:10 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Is it okay to tape over the dot matrix? Yes. That's what I did with my dash cams on both the Yaris and FR-S. Now, will the dot matrix come off with the tape if you remove it, that I don't know.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:20 AM   #3
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
Yes, that's where my front dashcam is situated. I have removed the mount once (3M pad)and the "dots" remain on the glass.
If, in future, it is necessary to remove the mount, using an old credit card will assist or even some strong twine/fishing line. Use the latter in a sawing motion.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I have my EZ-Pass (toll transponder) mounted there. I did remove it once when they sent me a new model. The dots stayed on the windshield.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
heytim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Is it okay to tape over the dot matrix? Yes. That's what I did with my dash cams on both the Yaris and FR-S. Now, will the dot matrix come off with the tape if you remove it, that I don't know.
Ok thanks! By the way, I hope to have the same 2 cars lineup as you...I test drove the 86/FR-S earlier this year and love the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpj View Post
Yes, that's where my front dashcam is situated. I have removed the mount once (3M pad)and the "dots" remain on the glass.
If, in future, it is necessary to remove the mount, using an old credit card will assist or even some strong twine/fishing line. Use the latter in a sawing motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I have my EZ-Pass (toll transponder) mounted there. I did remove it once when they sent me a new model. The dots stayed on the windshield.
Thank you both for the very helpful information! Not that I plan on removing it often, but didn't want any residue to be left behind when it does have to be removed. I think that is the location the camera will be going in :)
Old 09-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
its called a Dot matrix and the little dots on the side serve as a transition between the black lines that hide the adhesive that holds the windshield in place and it also serves to "lense that glass" and the little dot matrix between the rearview mirror helps block out the sun, you can tape over it, its just gonna get kinda warm there as black conducts heat

also those little black dots are baked on and are nearly impossible to scrape off without intentionally scraping it off.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
joell

Drives: 2013 Hatchback
The "frit" is enamel baked over the glass so is likely hard to separate from it, some people here even stick the RFID tag used by the tollroads.
joell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #8
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by joell View Post
The "frit" is enamel baked over the glass so is likely hard to separate from it, some people here even stick the RFID tag used by the tollroads.
its also cause its surface is super adhisive.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by heytim View Post
Ok thanks! By the way, I hope to have the same 2 cars lineup as you...I test drove the 86/FR-S earlier this year and love the car.

Thank you both for the very helpful information! Not that I plan on removing it often, but didn't want any residue to be left behind when it does have to be removed. I think that is the location the camera will be going in :)
The FR-S is a fun car despite being "underpowered." However, the kouki 86's front bumper is ugly to me. I do like it's better acceleration compared to the zenki (manual to manual comparison).
Old 09-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Good to know that the dot matrix is very difficult to remove. I may want to upgrade the dash cam in the Yaris.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:30 AM   #11
heytim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
The FR-S is a fun car despite being "underpowered." However, the kouki 86's front bumper is ugly to me. I do like it's better acceleration compared to the zenki (manual to manual comparison).
Compared to the Yaris I'd say it's plenty powerful enough! Haha

---------

Here's a picture I took of my install (only 2 months late in posting this...)
Attached Images