Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #19
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT

Sorry to hear man. Glad you're ok and (knock on wood) there's minimal damage. Best of luck getting her tidied up; hopefully nothing hidden that'll be a long term issue.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #20
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
While I know that I don't need it personally, I know that a LOT of drivers on the road could really use the automatic sensing/braking feature being put into newer cars today.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:58 PM   #21
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Sorry to here about the accident, mate. Thankfully, it wasn't serious.

Everywhere you look drivers are texting. It seems driving is something you do when you're focused on other "far more important" things. UGH!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:37 AM   #22
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Sorry to hear about this, but going by your description of the damage I wouldn't be too worried. I too was rear ended in my Yaris about 2 years ago. Slow moving traffic and someone not paying attention. Sounds familiar. Anyway in my case the driver's side of the rear bumper came detached, some of the tabs where it attaches into the clips were bent, and there was some minor scratches. But there was no structural damage, and I was able to reattach the bumper with a little finagling. I'm hoping in your case, being that the impact didn't even detach the bumper it most likely didn't cause any structural damage either.

Sucks, I know. I've been in 3 accidents in my life time. All 3 were rear enders. People just don't pay attention.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #23
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Sorry about the car man, I know how you feel. I was rearended in my classic Mustang some years back and it really does feel like someone violated you. We car guys are so careful and yet other people are reckless and careless. I’ve always said that the government should revoke 60% of drivers livenses on the spot and make you retest the driving test everytime you renew your license. It has no longer become a privilege but a right. It’ll work out though, glad it wasn’t a total loss.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:38 AM   #24
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
hazards hazard lights 4-ways flashers commercial driver

I had commercial driving training, which sensibly teaches to use hazards on all backing maneuvers. And we all learned to use them when stopped along highways or running slow in fog or uphills...didn't we? I use them in slow moving traffic situations such as lines behind school-buses slow, slowing or stopped...at least until there are enough vehicles behind me to absorb the crashing distracted driver.

I'm thinking of starting a thing--hazards at stop lights.

(hazards hazard lights 4-ways flashers commercial driver)

Last edited by dogsridewith; 12-13-2017 at 12:10 PM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #25
NYC-SE

Yesterday the driver behind me was taking selfies while driving. I could see her in my rear view mirror.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #26
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Are you sure it wasn't a little hand-held mirror for a bit of make-up touch-up?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #27
NYC-SE

Nope. Selfies.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #28
Kalispel

So, I drop off my little Yari this Friday morning (12/15), and get my rental to drive until it is repaired. I'm tired of dealing with Progressive, since they are giving me the runaround on repairs/timeframe due to their customer having the lapse in their coverage as of 11/30/2017 (& she rear-ended me on 12/7/2017). I'm just going to let my insurance cover it (after paying my deductible) and then let GEICO go after Progressive or whoever to recover what I have to pay out of pocket ($500) to get my Yari repaired. I won't tolerate any repair less than 'brand new condition' and OEM parts, and will be as OCD as needed to get the job done right. Hopefully, the 2015-2017 Yaris is such an unpopular car in the US that nothing but OEM parts are available.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #29
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Hopefully, the 2015-2017 Yaris is such an unpopular car in the US that nothing but OEM parts are available.
that sounds reasonable since ive seen maybe 3 (including mine) of our cars on the road in almost 2 years of ownership

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #30
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Hope it comes out of the body shop looking great.

BTW, if this accident shows up on the Carfax, then resale/trade-in value will be affected. Push your insurance co. to sue for depreciation. Keep all records and take lots of before and after photos.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #31
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
...and take lots of before and after photos.
Speaking of which, is sharing photos of the damage here just too much to bear? lol

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #32
Kalispel

No depressing pictures to share of the damage - though it wasn't really that bad cosmetically. The white bumper has a little dent/impression and some scratches towards the middle-top,and the black plastic bumper valance & reverse light housing is a bit squished & scratched. The hatch+body seems 100% unaffected. Nowhere near as bad as when my previous Accord was hit from the rear, and had a damaged bumper, body, taillight & trunk lid.

I do plan to check into getting some sort of depreciation refund from Progressive, as I'm sure that any trade-in or sale with even a minor accident on the CARFAX will bump the value down by around 10% at least.

I dropped my Yari off this morning for repairs, after an extended conversation with the GEICO adjuster & repair shop about my previous experience with insurance repairs with my Accord in 2011 under Progressive insurance from the at-fault driver. The paid rental that they gave me is a 2017 Buick Envision mid-size SUV. Not my sort of vehicle (HATE the infotainment system & push-button start), but it isn't too bad. As much as I love driving manual under the right conditions, it did feel more relaxing to drive their clunky-feeling 6-speed automatic (?) under the heavier traffic conditions of this morning. Also, I'm not a fan of the huge center console/storage area. I felt more squished into that significantly larger vehicle than I do in my wee-little open-space Yaris - and I am a lean 6ft2in, 185lb guy. Climate control system is much nicer in the Envision, however, versus our sad little US-spec Yaris. Ride quality over the crappy roads here is nicer in the Buick Envision (not surprisingly), but turns/cornering is very sluggish, and so is the braking, versus my nimble little TRD-enhanced SE.

Wow, I just noticed that the Buick Envision starts at $34K! Pretty sad, considering that I prefer my Yaris over that vehicle.

Last edited by Kalispel; 12-15-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:28 PM   #33
ern-diz

Yep; vehicles are not cheap these days. What's the US average? $40K?

On Wheelwell
Old 12-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #34
Kalispel

Looks like I pick up my car Wednesday after work. It would have been ready tomorrow, but the shipping carrier managed to damage the black plastic bumper valance replacement & it had to be reordered. I saw the parts/packaging today while at the shop, and all are indeed original Toyota OEM replacement parts (new rear bumper cover, new black plastic lower bumper valance insert & new reverse light housing).

The bad news is that I am probably out of luck on my $500 deductible, since Progressive has decided to deny the claim due to at-fault driver's insurance lapse (I assume she never renewed after accident either). GEICO will put the repair bill + rental car cost in collections against her directly, but I won't hold my breath on that, since direct collections are difficult to collect if someone isn't willing to pay their bills, doesn't have the funds, or doesn't care about their credit score. Since the total repair bill is under $1000, I doubt GEICO will be very aggressive on collecting the debt. I will just consider it an unexpected bonus if I ever see those funds again.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:19 AM   #35
ern-diz

That's a bit of a bummer. On the plus side, it's great that you're getting all OEM parts.

On Wheelwell
Old 12-19-2017, 04:49 PM   #36
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
thats a hella fast repair job

painting too ?

damn !
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote