Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Should I realign?

I have just installed the Tokico blues and Progress springs, which I believe dropped the car by 1.4 inches front and back. I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I get a re-alignment?
2. AFAIK, we can only adjust the front alignment on the hatchback, correct?
Old 11-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
As a general rule of thumb you should always re-align the car after suspension modifications.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
fmicle

Yeah, that's what I thought anyway, but I was hoping to learn more along the way I wonder if I should just bring the car to a shop and let them do whatever, or should I tell them what to do? I only know that I could safely go 1 degree negative camber without tire wear in the front, but that's where my knowledge ends. So I was hoping for more feedback, so I can learn something
The Yaris is my daily driver, so the main focus is on just having a little fun while driving around. I take longer trips from time to time, weekend getaways, visiting relatives, etc so I'm looking for a decent compromise.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
There are lots of posts here about this. Some people have had the alignment, others not. Some say it depends on the amount of drop you get, others say you should always do it. I guess the only way to know for sure is to take it to a shop and have it checked and done if it's needed.

I've got a set of TRD springs to put on and I don't plan on doing the alignment unless I notice a problem.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
fmicle

But by the time you notice, say, uneven tire wear, wouldn't it be too late? For the tires anyway?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
But by the time you notice, say, uneven tire wear, wouldn't it be too late? For the tires anyway?
Yes it would, but I really hate taking my car to any shop for service unless there is a known problem that I can't fix myself. Plus, the members that have installed TRD springs and didn't get an alignment don't report any problems so I'm willing to take that chance.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
fmicle

I fully understand, I don't feel compelled to take it to the shop either, the car feels just fine But I guess I'll do it...
Old 11-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Yes, always realign after you drop it. Guy I bought my Yaris from did a drop with no aligment. 6 months after owning it I was shelling out 400 bucks for 2 new front tires.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
It was for me. My car has a lip kit and df 210s so it is hard to see the inner wall of the tire. Went to change the oil and saw the inner wall of my driver front tire was down to teh steel belt
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
Loren
What?

At the very least, you should check and adjust the front toe. It WILL be off if you've lowered the car that much.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I never got a alignment till a year after i dropped my car on trd springs. Didnt notice any real ill effects or tire wear. I did however notice a difference in handling and cornering after i had the alignment finally done. If i could do it over again i would have just got the alignment done in the first place.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
wait a week for the springs to settle...then get an alignment...
Old 11-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
wait a week for the springs to settle...then get an alignment...
^^

Just got mine back from the alignment shop fmicle. My steering wheel ended up becoming crooked.

And just as Loren predicted, the mechanic told me my toe was off.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
fmicle

Alright, alright, it's on the list for Saturday
Old 11-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #15
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Yes it would, but I really hate taking my car to any shop for service unless there is a known problem that I can't fix myself. Plus, the members that have installed TRD springs and didn't get an alignment don't report any problems so I'm willing to take that chance.
My sedan required alignment corrections after installing TRD suspension. That said, it could have been slightly off from the factory although the tires looked fine when the suspension was upgraded (at ~12,000 kilometers). Now at close to 60,000 kilometers and the stock rubber is still wearing evenly albeit nearly done. Can't wait to get some sticky sneakers on there next year. Winter boots in play now.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.

Last edited by MUSKOKA800; 11-26-2009 at 08:10 AM.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
My sedan required alignment corrections after installing TRD suspension. That said, it could have been slightly off from the factory although the tires looked fine when the suspension was upgraded (at ~12,000 kilometers). Now at close to 60,000 kilometers and the stock rubber is still wearing evenly albeit nearly done. Can't wait to get some sticky sneakers on there next year. Winter boots in play now.
falken RT615's are on uber sale right now....but really only if you know someone in the states.....$50 instant rebate on discount tire PLUS $80 mail-in if you're in the US

either way, they're about 250 w/ free shipping in the lower 48 for 195-60-14's ;)
Old 11-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #17
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
falken RT615's are on uber sale right now....but really only if you know someone in the states.....$50 instant rebate on discount tire PLUS $80 mail-in if you're in the US

either way, they're about 250 w/ free shipping in the lower 48 for 195-60-14's ;)
I'll wait until late winter/spring to start shopping and only buy from US if the brand offers a NA wide warranty (Michelin, Goodyear do, Bridgestone, Yokohama don't). Having a snowmobile buddy whose business is in Lewiston NY (5 minites from the border) has been handy for US online shopping (eBay etc). He uses a local tire shop who order from TireRack.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
When I slammed my car and added camber to about three degrees, that gave me around a degree and a half of toe in. One and a half set of tires later, I then decided to get an alignment.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote