Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
weaponrcamry

Drives: Camry LE/Yaris Hatch 5spd
Vitz Rs turbo vs U.S. Yaris add turbo?

Since japan or the foreign states have the Vitz turbo, and some countries have the regular yaris or so, what would be the difference of adding a turbo to our yaris? Wouldnt you think that it will give you the same performance as the vitz turbo? I think it will. I was thinking about a 2zz swap, but then I remembered that you cannot add a turbo into the engine bay, just wouldnt fit. And I believe the 1zz would be the same way. They both have strong aftermaket support.
weaponrcamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Just as a heads up we already have threads on this with extensive material....just perform a search and you will find them

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
soros151
Another question... :D

Drives: Scion tC 06
I think you can accomodate a turbo setup under there, you may have to move the battery to the back and maybe hammer a little. :P
Old 07-19-2006, 05:08 AM   #4
bulldogs2k

Drives: '00 s2000, 2007 yaris hatch
i dont know about the rs, but the yaris has weak internals.
bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:02 AM   #5
weaponrcamry

thats not true, there is a scion xb/xa kit ithat i wa thinking about getting it yeilds 180whp. Same engine stock internals.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponrcamry
thats not true, there is a scion xb/xa kit ithat i wa thinking about getting it yeilds 180whp. Same engine stock internals.
80% more horsepower on the stock internals? As much as I'd love for a piston to blow through my chest, I think I'll pass.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
Hyde

Drives: M3,CayenneS,SL500,550i,GT3RS
the Turbo Vitz uses a Bolt on Turbo kit from TRD that is design for the 1NZFE. the turbo kit should bolt right on to the Yaris. its just the ECU is tuned differently and cant be hooked up to the US spec cars.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
soros151

Tha 180hp kit is from ZPI, and it's working. What I meant (in my last post) was for the 2ZZ-GE swap and turbo it.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
Snake

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by soros151
Tha 180hp kit is from ZPI, and it's working. What I meant (in my last post) was for the 2ZZ-GE swap and turbo it.
I think there is enough room for a turbo and the 2zz as long as you can make up a nice custom manifold to make it a compact unit
you can just run a stand alone like the hydra ems setup but your talking a good amount of $ for a 2zz turbo setup since most of the parts would have to be custom fabricated
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #10
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
there's always room for a turbo... have you seen the NSX turbo setups? they're actually under the car... same with say trans ams... also, there are companies who make really crazy tangles looking turbo manifolds for honda(i also have a crx so i've been through alot of the limited space issues) that make a turbo work in the space provided... but money is the main issue...

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:12 AM   #11
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
You think there's limited space in the Yaris' engine compartment? Heh... to me it looks like there is plenty of space in there with the current engine setup... of course, I'm used to my I30 (luxury Maxima) ... that 3.0 V6 absolutely fills the engine bay, although our community has managed to squeeze in some supercharged and turbocharged setups that absolutely max out the underhood space. Just curious... is the 1NZ-FE in the Yaris the same exact engine as the 1NZ-FE as used in the previous incarnations of the Vitz and Echo? i.e. if I had a source for internals for the 1NZ-FE in the echo... would they work in the Yaris' 1NZ-FE?
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:57 PM   #12
soros151

Quote:
Originally Posted by eight_heads
there's always room for a turbo... have you seen the NSX turbo setups? they're actually under the car... same with say trans ams... also, there are companies who make really crazy tangles looking turbo manifolds for honda(i also have a crx so i've been through alot of the limited space issues) that make a turbo work in the space provided... but money is the main issue...
That company is called STP, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82
You think there's limited space in the Yaris' engine compartment? Heh... to me it looks like there is plenty of space in there with the current engine setup... of course, I'm used to my I30 (luxury Maxima) ... that 3.0 V6 absolutely fills the engine bay, although our community has managed to squeeze in some supercharged and turbocharged setups that absolutely max out the underhood space. Just curious... is the 1NZ-FE in the Yaris the same exact engine as the 1NZ-FE as used in the previous incarnations of the Vitz and Echo? i.e. if I had a source for internals for the 1NZ-FE in the echo... would they work in the Yaris' 1NZ-FE?
There might be some little differences in some parts. It's like some parts from the 2AZ-FE from the Camry, won't fir the 2AZ from the Scion tC. But I think is just the bearings.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #13
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
The company is STP, they advertise a twin turbo setup near the rear on C5 & 6 Corvettes, looks very nice.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:52 PM   #14
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz
The company is STP, they advertise a twin turbo setup near the rear on C5 & 6 Corvettes, looks very nice.
regardless of what they claim....laaggggggggggg.
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:30 PM   #15
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
I think there is enough room for a turbo and the 2zz as long as you can make up a nice custom manifold to make it a compact unit
you can just run a stand alone like the hydra ems setup but your talking a good amount of $ for a 2zz turbo setup since most of the parts would have to be custom fabricated
There's ALWAYS room for a turbo!!..but you better contact someone like lovefab.com to make a fully customized TURBO EXHAUST MANIFOLD and turbo outlet-to-exhaust manifold piece so that your catback system would remain OEM and interchangeable (in other words, no custom cat back needed).
with turbos, you have a certain amount of leave-way when it comes to mounting a turbo. Hell, you could mount it right in front of the cat if you had no other engine bay room (cough cough...turbo'ing a Mini Cooper S..cough cough..dual charging...cough cough). but, this means pretty serious money.

as far as Yaris/2ZZGE swap..it WON'TBE THAT TOUGH!!! think about the T Sport Concept..what does it have in it? all you need are the motor mounts (& tranny mounts), wiring harness & ECU, and the "small stuff" that's different on the Yaris T Sport 2ZZGE. the only problem might be getting done on a left hand drive vehicle since RHD cars tend to run their exhaust manifolds and other random stuff in about the same spot as the Lefthand drive steering column would be
This might be remedied by as little as a Custom exhaust Manifold (like on SR20DET swaps into USDM 240SXs...the exhaust manifold sits DANGEROUSLY close and will flex and touch the steering column under heavy cornering/accelerating/drifting..)

IF YOU WANT TO DO A 1NZFTE swap into a 1NZFE Yaris, you would first have to verify the steering column isn't an issue (IF the 1NZFTE is a European release, not just England-RHD release, then IT IS HIGHLY LIKELY THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEM!!!!) , next you will likely have to EITHER:

1)Order just the parts that are different. Exhaust manifold, Turbo, Intercooling and intake system, and every little thing that is upgraded such as Fuel Pumps, injectors, spark plugs, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc...
The biggest downside to this is that I WOULD EXPECT the 1NZFTE to have stronger engine internals (rods and pistons, possibly oil pump and cooling system) than the 1NZFE which was made with the ideal of making the internals as LIGHTWEIGHT (and cheap, sadly) as possible to deter parasitic power loss...

2)BUY A EURO or JDM YARIS / 1NZFTE FRONT CLIP. This will give you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO MAKE THE SWAP. Though, i expect some wiring issues. Even if the Euro / JDM Yaris 1NZFTE Computer worked properly, there might be MANY WIRES that need to be extended, unless you've got the EURO computer / wiring harness since they are also LHD. but, if you get a JDM wiring harness, you will probably need to EXTEND all the short wires since they probably won't reach on a LHD setup. THIS IS WHY I WOULD LOOK INTO EURO Yaris 1NZFTE before settling for japanese.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #16
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Not enough room? You guys are crazy!

After working on Hondas for 7 years, this is the roomiest engine bay I have seen in a compact car!

Imagine fitting an equal length turbo manifold and a T3/T4 setup into a space about 5" wide- that is a challenge.

Now, seriously, if you guys are planning on boosting a Yaris, please beef the internals. In stock trim, the Yaris can probably only handle 5-6 PSI reliably (and even then it should keep you up at night), and 5-6 PSI is not worth the investment.

My advice (after years of doing this)? Wait until your Yaris is out of warranty. By then, aftermarket internals should be available. Then, build the engine, and don't skimp- you should spend about twice as much on your build as you do on your turbo kit. After that, invest in a proven management system that tuners in your area know how to tune (I suggest Crome, AEM or Uberdata- you may even learn for yourself how to tune those), and only then add the turbo kit. Don't be the guy that adds a turbo kit without laying the proper groundwork, and then all of us have to listen to you whine because Toyota would not replace your engine under warranty.

By the way, if you go the path above, get a second car to daily drive. I learned that the hard way- bosses don't understand why a split vacuum hose or faulty wastegate spring is keeping you out of work that day.

PS- Race ya!
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:24 PM   #17
Snake

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Snake
you can push about 12lbs of boost on this motor as long as you compensate for the fuel
but thats about it, this is on a small turbo
check the scion forums to see what kind of psi levels they are running on scion platforms considering they are the same motors, you guys can use some of their info
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #18
weaponrcamry

12 psi considering you have broken into your motor. Im pretty sure they didnt, break into their motor which decreases the longtivity of their life. A safe 5-8 psi would be good till you break into the motor.