Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
andru47

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3DR LB
Send a message via AIM to andru47
LOLZ at Dealerships

Just got back from the Dealership for my 15K mile service. I laugh at the stuff they try to sell you. I just wanted my synthetic oil change and my tire rotation.
The guy comes back telling me that I should get my rear brakes cleaned and adjusted. My tires balanced. And some "Induction cleaning" because there was carbon buildup. The price tags respectively were $45, $23, and $120. I called my uncle told him the stuff and he gave me the wisdom talk. Went back to the dealer and said, look I just want my standard maintenance, the oil change and rotation. Oh and I'm gonna need it in writing that my car has carbon buildup so I can go claim warranty from Toyota and get a new engine. He responds oh no no, this is just a preventive service and has to do with the intake not with the engine. I said OK, just give me my standard maintenance thanks. These guys really crack me up. Trying to sell me all that crap. I might just go to my trusted mechanic and have him take a look at it. Make sure everything is tip top for holiday travels.

Cheers!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Avoid dealers at all cost. The only thing you should return to the dealer is for a warranty issue, or to buy a part you can't find anywhere else.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
Avoid dealers at all cost. The only thing you should return to the dealer is for a warranty issue, or to buy a part you can't find anywhere else.
Amen.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I don't know where you guys get this crap from. I've never had a dealer try to sell me insane stuff like that.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:03 AM   #5
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I don't know where you guys get this crap from. I've never had a dealer try to sell me insane stuff like that.
dealerships and auto shops are usually pretty good at "picking their prey"
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:

Then you live in Perfectland, USA because dealers everywhere else grab your balls early on and latch on like leeches.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #7
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
Quote:
lucky you...
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #8
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Dealers will never get it. Can't tell you how many times they've tried to hustle me, knowing damn well I've been there before and won't deal with their bullshit. Imagine going in for an oil change and tire rotation and hearing "..we'll do that and change your air and cabin filters too, all for $119.99". Those filters cost a total of only around $30 and each one takes less than a minute to install. 30K comprehensive service my ass. How bout I follow you around and ask you stupid questions for an hour? How much would that cost?

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:14 AM   #9
tristan
it's been a while

Drives: 2009 liftback
Haha, I also had my 15k service yesterday! They recommended the tire balancing and induction cleaning too, I said 'not today' and that was it lol
Which dealership did you go to?
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
x2.

Dealers are there to make money. They're people too. No need to be rude to them. Just say, No thanks.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
x2.

Dealers are there to make money. They're people too. No need to be rude to them. Just say, No thanks.
There is a big difference between honestly making money and blatently ripping people off.
Sadly, many dealers practice the latter and they deserve no politeness when this happens.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I must have the only honest dealer in the U.S.
I've had 2 years free oil changes since I bought the car, and they have never asked me for extra services. I get free alignment and rotation every 6 months also.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #13
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
I must have the only honest dealer in the U.S.
I've had 2 years free oil changes since I bought the car, and they have never asked me for extra services. I get free alignment and rotation every 6 months also.
Sounds like the service manger maybe a little sweet on you!
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
When my driver side window got smash, I went to the dealer to get a quote and they gave me $400 to replace it, so I said no and I went to a auto window shop that sell a non branded glass window, I got the glass window for $35 plus the black glue $5 and install it my self.

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
markitect

Drives: Yaris
The dealer I go to has always been reasonable. They have the expensive packages available that they mention, but if you go in and say: give me the x miles service, or give me an oil change they don't try to push other stuff.

Or maybe they just have the "Not a sucker" flag on my info.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:30 AM   #16
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
I went to the dealer and asked if the could top of my coolant, I was able to see when the guy put tap water in it, I complaint and they flushed my cooling system but I was afraid one more time that they could another stupidity like this one…

I had creaking noises in my front seats, they took 6 months to correct the problem, probably 25 visits to the dealer, they messed up all my interior taking the seats in and out so many times, the technician messed up the cloth so he sewed with brown, they forgot to tight the bolts(I was able to unscrew them with my fingers) I had to pay $200 deposit for a loaner on each visit and there are many more things to tell you guys but I will never finish but the best part is when they installed the side airbag on the passenger seat facing my face, the seat looked pretty bulky on that side so I lifted the cover from the bottom and I was able to se the freaking airbag towards my face!!! It was horrible. My car was almost I lemon or arbitration (when Toyota exchanges the car) but want it to keep since I did few things to it. Toyota had to send a specialized technician to do the job done decently and the service manager had to get really involved, at the beginning the guy wasn't working at all. They finally changed the middle console one rear side panel the sill's, replaced the missing bottom plastic protectors, the back of the seats(Frame, padding, weight sensor on passenger seat) and installed everything on its place. The noise came back and I finally fixed it my self.

Avoid dealers like Toyota of Hollywood in Florida, do it your self if you can or take it to a mechanic that you can trust.
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
^^ dealers LOVE chasing down random creaks.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #18
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
There is a big difference between honestly making money and blatently ripping people off.
Sadly, many dealers practice the latter and they deserve no politeness when this happens.
People are still people. Dealerships are dealerships. You can be as impolite to a building as you want. But people are just doing as they're told.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote