Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #1
09TRD

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, 09 Z51 'Vette
Getting my new TRD Yaris today

I'm taking delivery of my blue, 5 speed manal Yaris 3 door liftback today. I got option group "D" and had the dealer install spalshguards and the TRD springs, shocks and rear anti-roll bar.

This is going to be my winter car.

My "three season" car is a 2009 Z51 Corvette. I took the Yaris for a quick "test drive" last week after they had installed the TRD stuff. In some ways I prefer the Yaris to the Corvette. The Yaris is quieter, offers better visibility, superior clutch and shifter feel, superior seating and superior overall build quality.

Obviously those truisms didn't go over at all well on the Corvette forum, but that doesn't change the facts.

I was surprised at how smoothly the Yaris road with the TRD stuff. I was expecting something that road like a skateboard, yet that's not the case. The car doesn't feel underpowered, either, and actually seemed surprisingly "frisky."
09TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Well...... you are about to venture down the Toyota road....... you will be plesantly surprised. Good luck with it.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09TRD View Post
I'm taking delivery of my blue, 5 speed manal Yaris 3 door liftback today. I got option group "D" and had the dealer install spalshguards and the TRD springs, shocks and rear anti-roll bar.

This is going to be my winter car.

My "three season" car is a 2009 Z51 Corvette. I took the Yaris for a quick "test drive" last week after they had installed the TRD stuff. In some ways I prefer the Yaris to the Corvette. The Yaris is quieter, offers better visibility, superior clutch and shifter feel, superior seating and superior overall build quality.

Obviously those truisms didn't go over at all well on the Corvette forum, but that doesn't change the facts.

I was surprised at how smoothly the Yaris road with the TRD stuff. I was expecting something that road like a skateboard, yet that's not the case. The car doesn't feel underpowered, either, and actually seemed surprisingly "frisky."
Now just throw in the NST short-shifter goodies and you'll be all set.
ENJOY!

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
It's interesting that the lowest Toyota model available is better than Chevy's highest end sports car in terms of "superior clutch and shifter feel, superior seating and superior overall build quality." I know it's just an opinion, but it doesn't surprise me... Welcome!
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #5
09TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
It's interesting that the lowest Toyota model available is better than Chevy's highest end sports car in terms of "superior clutch and shifter feel, superior seating and superior overall build quality." I know it's just an opinion, but it doesn't surprise me... Welcome!
It's a sad reality.

Of course, the Corvette has many attributes that the Yaris can't even dream about.

Still, there is simply no excuse for the Corvette's substandard build quality. The MSRP on my '09 was $54,495. EVERYTHING about the car should be at least as good as the Yaris's, yet it's not.

The Corvette has been back to the dealership 6 times in the five weeks I've owned it. The latest issue is what sounds like a rattling seatbelt retractor (directly in my left ear over certain bumps). That's all in addition to having to pay a private upholstery shop $850 to "reconstruct" the driver's seat so that I could actually sit in and drive the car.

Last edited by 09TRD; 10-30-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Driver

Drives: 07 Yaris silver manual sedan
Welcome to Yaris land. I got my 2007 sedan in 2006 when you had to wait months to get one and have looked back. You'll probably enjoy driving the Yaris as much or more than the Corvette.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
yeah, but you can't pretend to be 'face' from the a-team in the yaris.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
yeah, but you can't pretend to be 'face' from the a-team in the yaris.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Whats a TRD Yaris?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
09TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Whats a TRD Yaris?
It's a Yaris with TRD parts - in this case springs, shocks and rear anti-roll bar.

It transforms the handling of the car.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
It's a Yaris with TRD parts - in this case springs, shocks and rear anti-roll bar.

More than meets the eye!
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #12
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Don't forget to post Pics!!! especially w/ the Corvette and Yaris side by side!
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #13
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:

But, thats only options on a Toyota, its not really TRD.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:30 AM   #14
09TRD

Quote:
Whatever...

It's a $13K car with some TRD aftermarket suspension parts. I'm not going to get too concerned over the particular semantics. I just hope it's reliable, doesn't squeak or rattle and offers a reasonable degree of driving entertainment for the money.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Ha! yeah right. I Drive this 3 dr 5 speed man. Yaris does not compete with Kia Rio - comes in last or near last in economy comparisons. Middle of road - stock shifter feel, may be a notch better than average clutch take up with a good engagement "cusion" - but its not adjustable and wait till it wont disengage and you're grinding gears and it cant be adjusted!

09 TRD: How can you buy corvette and not spell "rode", I am not american and I can spell rode versus road. I would think most chevrolet guys would drive a Cobalt or Grand Am for 1 season car. They are fiercly loyal buy american. You do not fit profile I dont know if I believe your story.

- Sonja's Brother
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #16
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
I have prepped high performance cars in Europe, That TRD option is not an "anti roll bar or "sway bar" in the TRD kit it just stiffens the twist beam axle to higher torsional spring rate. A correct anti sway would have bushing attachments to the underbody and link to the lower axle locating arms. It will have an effect of stiffening the rear roll rate though. I find it funny peopple pay $$ for independant suspension then add sway bars to front axle that ties the suspension together. Why not use solid axle to begin with?? Dumb engineering.

- S' Brother
Old 11-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #17
DeadEnd

Drives: 88 Rolla, 01 Tundra, 09 Yaris
Someone correct me if im wrong but not silky smooth because your way off. But the TRD is a rear anti-sway bar on a solid axle in the rear of the car. And im pretty sure it has bushing attachments to the rear underbody. Also TRD makes no swaybars for the front of a Yaris so I have no idea what your talking about.
DeadEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEnd View Post
Someone correct me if im wrong but not silky smooth because your way off. But the TRD is a rear anti-sway bar on a solid axle in the rear of the car. And im pretty sure it has bushing attachments to the rear underbody. Also TRD makes no swaybars for the front of a Yaris so I have no idea what your talking about.
I see photos and it only attaches to the rear trailing links - if I'm seeing correct. FU I'm way off if you dont even know yourself - I've setup many a race chassis for comp Porsche 914/6, 944, 968, Mazda RX, Datsun, Renault You? Huh?

And DEADEND, I wasnt trashing TOY's just about sway bars in general defeating independant suspension. Unsprum mas is more important a criterion than independent operation

Sonjas Bro

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 11-01-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: yes i do