Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Fazulka

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4dr Sedan Base
Cruise control on 2007 4dr

I read several threads on installing cruise control on the 07-08 yaris and decided to try it, but it doesn't work.

I inserted a wire to the hole for pin 40 on the A21 connector as shown in several threads. I metered this connection and found that the connection works, I get 12.6-12.8 volts when the car is on from the other end of the wire.

I decided to do the 4 button install and bought 4 N.O. push buttons and installed them on the empty power mirror panel. I purchased 3 packs of resistors, 220 ohm, 150 ohm, and 680 ohm.

Between on/off and +/res I soldered 1 220 ohm (According to my meter it was actually 217). Between +/res and -/set I soldered a 220 and a 150 (370 total, measures 365). Between -/set and cancel I soldered a 680 and a 220 (900 total measures 884).

After building it and testing it, I found it didn't work. I added a 22 ohm resistor between on/off and +/res to bring it closer to the middle of the acceptable ranges. It still didn't work.

I hooked the the meter to the leads coming out of the buttons and checked the impedance I am getting from this thing I built. They show:

No buttons pressed - 1 / no connection
on/off button pressed - 1 ohm (possibly from alligator clips connecting leads to device)
+/res - 239 ohms
-/set - 604 ohms
cancel - 1487 ohms

The car runs exactly as before, so I don't think I messed anything up. There is no light on the dash to turn on, so i don't know if the system is turning on or not. Nothing appears to happen when I press any of the buttons.

Sorry for the long message, but I wanted to include enough info.

Any ideas why it doesn't work?
Fazulka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
upgradedyaris

Drives: Yaris & Supra
OEM stalk, wire and panel with hole cut already for the cruise is less than 100 bucks, and, a 20 min install! So easy, a cave man could do it. ;)

Duane
upgradedyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgradedyaris View Post
OEM stalk, wire and panel with hole cut already for the cruise is less than 100 bucks, and, a 20 min install! So easy, a cave man could do it. ;)

Duane
Are you talking about the cruise that comes with the power package or the cruise that comes with the non-power?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
upgradedyaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Are you talking about the cruise that comes with the power package or the cruise that comes with the non-power?
Well, my car is fully loaded minus the cruise which is why I bought it. I purchased the stalk and parts and it bolts in and good to go!

Duane
Old 01-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
b_hickman11

Quote:
Well, my car is fully loaded minus the cruise which is why I bought it. I purchased the stalk and parts and it bolts in and good to go!

Duane
Does your cruise mount to the left or right of the steering wheel?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #6
upgradedyaris

Quote:
Does your cruise mount to the left or right of the steering wheel?
Right side as do all in the US and Canada. Not sure about European or others...
Old 01-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
b_hickman11

Quote:
Right side as do all in the US and Canada. Not sure about European or others...
The non-power cruise is mounted on the left and the one that comes with the power package is mounted on the right. So not all of them are on the right in the US.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazulka View Post
I read several threads on installing cruise control on the 07-08 yaris and decided to try it, but it doesn't work.

I inserted a wire to the hole for pin 40 on the A21 connector as shown in several threads. I metered this connection and found that the connection works, I get 12.6-12.8 volts when the car is on from the other end of the wire.

I decided to do the 4 button install and bought 4 N.O. push buttons and installed them on the empty power mirror panel. I purchased 3 packs of resistors, 220 ohm, 150 ohm, and 680 ohm.

Between on/off and +/res I soldered 1 220 ohm (According to my meter it was actually 217). Between +/res and -/set I soldered a 220 and a 150 (370 total, measures 365). Between -/set and cancel I soldered a 680 and a 220 (900 total measures 884).

After building it and testing it, I found it didn't work. I added a 22 ohm resistor between on/off and +/res to bring it closer to the middle of the acceptable ranges. It still didn't work.

I hooked the the meter to the leads coming out of the buttons and checked the impedance I am getting from this thing I built. They show:

No buttons pressed - 1 / no connection
on/off button pressed - 1 ohm (possibly from alligator clips connecting leads to device)
+/res - 239 ohms
-/set - 604 ohms
cancel - 1487 ohms

The car runs exactly as before, so I don't think I messed anything up. There is no light on the dash to turn on, so i don't know if the system is turning on or not. Nothing appears to happen when I press any of the buttons.

Sorry for the long message, but I wanted to include enough info.

Any ideas why it doesn't work?

Does your Yaris have an automatic or manual transmission?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
upgradedyaris

Quote:
The non-power cruise is mounted on the left and the one that comes with the power package is mounted on the right. So not all of them are on the right in the US.
Thanks, wasn't 100%.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks, wasn't 100%.
And, if it's on the left it's a Rostra aftermarket cruise control (sometimes port or dealer installed), not a Toyota OEM stalk (which is always on the right).
Old 01-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
Fazulka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Does your Yaris have an automatic or manual transmission?
It has an automatic transmission.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazulka View Post
It has an automatic transmission.
OK, so that means it's not the lack of the clutch cruise control switch.

Reading your initial post, it sounds like everything is correctly wired. The one thing you don't mention is where you grabbed the ground for the other leg of the switches. Make sure that you have a good solid ground.

Also. posting some pictures would help.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
Fazulka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
OK, so that means it's not the lack of the clutch cruise control switch.

Reading your initial post, it sounds like everything is correctly wired. The one thing you don't mention is where you grabbed the ground for the other leg of the switches. Make sure that you have a good solid ground.

Also. posting some pictures would help.
Ok, I'll take some pictures this afternoon. I have one ground from a self tapping screw that is under the cover your knees would bump if you pulled the drivers seat too far forward. I am using it as ground for 2 other things, the remote start / keyless entry module and power door locks. Is that an ok place? Where would be better?
Old 01-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #14
Fazulka

Ok, images. Here is the ECU, you can see the wire I ran to it(green). You can't see the hole it went into, but I wrapped it in electrical tape tightly to keep dust out.

The back of the buttons. Shows resistors and soldering.

The whole thing. The wire nuts are so I can pull it off and change things as needed.

Here it is in place. Looks great, but does nothing.

Let me know what you think. I can go take more pictures if needed.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

So, in this picture (as viewed from the rear):

The top switch is on/off
The left switch is +/Resume (242 ohms)
The right switch is -/Set (370 ohms)
The bottom is Cancel (900 ohms)

All of them look fine, so how about a picture of the ECM connection point, just for a sanity check?

Your ground point sounds OK, particularly if the other devices are working fine.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #16
Fazulka

I'll take a picture of the ECM connection point in the morning (working now). The other devices hooked up to the ground point work perfectly, and it is nice and tight.

On a side note, I saw your "crashy" threads earlier this afternoon and got a huge kick out of them. It's really nice of you to offer your experience an knowledge on this forum. Thank you.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #17
Fazulka

Ok, here is the sanity check. Photos are a little dark and blurry, 1 second exposures at 7:20 in the morning after i worked all night. The wire I installed is dark green, and easily identifiable by the electrical tape on the base. Now that I look at it I am hoping my problem is just that I put it in the hole on the wrong side of the little valley.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Yes - That is exactly the problem. You should be next to the blue wire on the opposite side of the divider.