Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Why are the sedans more widely available with the bells and whistles than the LB's?

I try to at least drive through as mant different Toyota dealerships as I can just to see what they have available on the lot. I would like to see a liftback with the 15" factory alloy wheels just to see what it looks like. Overwelmingly, what I'm seeing is the sedans are almost always well equipped with the option packages, while the liftbacks are almost always the bare-bones strippers. I wonder why this is? Does Toyota think that most people interested in the liftback prefer no-option vehicles? I love Toyotas in general as I think they build Swiss watch-like reliability into all their vehicles, but sometimes I have to wonder what drives their thought process on other issues like this. Some things (like this) just don't make any sense.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Probably that the hatch is considered by them as the rock-bottom, cheapest car people would want to buy, and if they wanted a fancier hatchback they should get a Scion... While the sedan has to appeal to a more grown up market, who does like some of the niceties in cars...

Just a guess!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Probably that the hatch is considered by them as the rock-bottom, cheapest car people would want to buy, and if they wanted a fancier hatchback they should get a Scion... While the sedan has to appeal to a more grown up market, who does like some of the niceties in cars...

Just a guess!
That doesn't really make sense either, considering that Scion is supposed to be the low end Toyota brand. The LB and sedan should be equipped the same and offered simply as two different body styles. Hopefully, people will order many of the LB's with the option packages and Toyota will get the message that people actually do want the options on this model and start building more of them this way on their own. I guess the only drawback to doing this is the $12k LB now goes to $14k-$15K.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Isn't Scion considered more of a youth-oriented brand? And comes standard with a good amount of options?

Quote:
I guess the only drawback to doing this is the $12k LB now goes to $14k-$15K.
I think that is exactly the point here.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
grampi

Quote:
Isn't Scion considered more of a youth-oriented brand? And comes standard with a good amount of options?
Yes, but Scion is also the low end brand of Toyota.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
grampi

Quote:
I think that is exactly the point here.
But if they make the sedan avaiable with these options, why not the LB?
Old 05-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
Yes, but Scion is also the low end brand of Toyota.
no its not a low end brand, it is just to appeal to the tastes of the younger crowd. thats why they have a fixed price of 14-17k because it has all the features they wanted. if the lb had a power package available with the 5spd i would totally love it, but all i seen are available in auto.

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Agreed Scion sales pitch does not scream economy it screams hipster.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
SailDesign

Drives: .
The LB comes with less options because the folks who buy it want to DRIVE it. The sedan is for folks who want to pimp it.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:52 PM   #10
petesimac

Drives: Yaris LB
SDMF, they don't have the 5 spd LB with the power package available in Chicago? I just bought one today here in Pittsburgh; now if it only had cruise control; that's what makes so little sense to me. If I really can't stand it (only take one or two long trips a year), I'll add one aftermarket.
petesimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #11
YarisRunner

Drives: TBD...gotta buy it first
The regional Toyota distributor probably thought that most people will by the Sedan than the LB. So they fully spec the sedans. The dealers buy their Yarii from the distributers.
YarisRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:27 AM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
First of all, despite what anyone tells you you certainly can get a liftback with all the bells and whistles. The problem is it is going to take a long time because it is a special order because Toyota isn't building them that way. I was told that Toyota Motor Sales USA expected a full 80% of Yarii sold in America to be automatic, fully loaded sedans. They also expected that anyone looking for the liftbacks (which are cheaper) would be so fiscally responsible that they wouldn't dare ask for unnecessary shit like power this and that. That makes anything other than a bone stock liftback or a fully loaded sedan a little tricky to get. Thomas nailed it on the head... they figured if you wanted a hatchback with all the bells and whistles you'd buy the xA! Scion isn't the "lesser" Toyota brand (the tC is nicer than quite a few Toyotas out today), but it is their entry level flagship. It was a plot to get young first time buyers into Toyota cars so they could experience the beauty that is Toyota engineering, and holy shit did it work! I'll bet they didn't bank on the fact that so many older buyers would be interested in the quirky Scion vehicles, but that was just icing on the cake. To say the Scion brand was a success would be an extreme understatement considering how many of those younger buyers will probably end up buying Toyota or Lexus down the road. This is why Toyota is #1 now and will be for a long time... smart marketing, smart engineering, and good looking cars.

If your dealership of choice insists they cannot get you the Yaris you want, move on to another dealership! For every story I hear saying that a liftback with the power package is impossible to get, there is another person counting down the weeks until theirs arrives. If you're willing to wait you can get anything. Shit grampi, you're in Ohio... if they tell you you can't get what you want let me know and I'll put you in touch with DJ's sales department. He is a family friend and they run an awesome dealership. They're in Kent.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:46 AM   #13
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Most people had to wait a huge amount of time to get any Yaris, but for some reason, I called and they had it... checked online before, and they had about 7 Yaris, only 1 with my options. Went back a month back, theres about 50 Yaris on the whole lot, 15 or so are LB...5 were S...and some were LB with Rims and C-one Spoiler.

I guess the fact that the southeast gets them from Jacksonville helps. Not actually built there but delivery spot.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
grampi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
First of all, despite what anyone tells you you certainly can get a liftback with all the bells and whistles. The problem is it is going to take a long time because it is a special order because Toyota isn't building them that way. I was told that Toyota Motor Sales USA expected a full 80% of Yarii sold in America to be automatic, fully loaded sedans. They also expected that anyone looking for the liftbacks (which are cheaper) would be so fiscally responsible that they wouldn't dare ask for unnecessary shit like power this and that. That makes anything other than a bone stock liftback or a fully loaded sedan a little tricky to get. Thomas nailed it on the head... they figured if you wanted a hatchback with all the bells and whistles you'd buy the xA! Scion isn't the "lesser" Toyota brand (the tC is nicer than quite a few Toyotas out today), but it is their entry level flagship. It was a plot to get young first time buyers into Toyota cars so they could experience the beauty that is Toyota engineering, and holy shit did it work! I'll bet they didn't bank on the fact that so many older buyers would be interested in the quirky Scion vehicles, but that was just icing on the cake. To say the Scion brand was a success would be an extreme understatement considering how many of those younger buyers will probably end up buying Toyota or Lexus down the road. This is why Toyota is #1 now and will be for a long time... smart marketing, smart engineering, and good looking cars.

If your dealership of choice insists they cannot get you the Yaris you want, move on to another dealership! For every story I hear saying that a liftback with the power package is impossible to get, there is another person counting down the weeks until theirs arrives. If you're willing to wait you can get anything. Shit grampi, you're in Ohio... if they tell you you can't get what you want let me know and I'll put you in touch with DJ's sales department. He is a family friend and they run an awesome dealership. They're in Kent.

That's just it, I'm probably not going to get a new one. If I were, I'd just order it the way I wanted it and wait it out. I'll probably be looking to get a slightly used one sometime next year. I'm fairly certain I want a loaded LB (as opposed to the stripped one), so I'm realizing my task of finding the one I want used is going to be a daunting task. I'm going to have to be willing to travel long distances to get the one I want. The only way I'd consider getting a new one is if I can figure out some way to get one under some type of employee discount plan where I could end up getting an optioned out LB for around the same price as a stripped model. My Bro-in-law sells Toyotas and I'm going to check with him and see if he can get me some type of deal like this.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #15
sdmf
Down With the Sickness

Drives: 2007 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to sdmf
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
SDMF, they don't have the 5 spd LB with the power package available in Chicago? I just bought one today here in Pittsburgh; now if it only had cruise control; that's what makes so little sense to me. If I really can't stand it (only take one or two long trips a year), I'll add one aftermarket.
nope went 2 8 dealerships all base with the 5 speed. the auto had it though

Strength - Determination - Merciless - Forever
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #16
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Like others mentioned the liftback is supposed to be the "lower" of the two Yarii or at least lower starting price point. In the U.S. particularly they generally prefer sedans over wagons, hatchs and a like which is ironic sense this country is a SUV lovin' country. If you think about it SUVs are giant wagons. Anyway back on topic, Toyota figured and is right that more sedans will sell than liftbacks, considering the general history of such cars in the U.S., they don't do as well as their sedan counterparts where's in other parts of the world its the opposite, generally speaking. I personally prefer hatches and love the Yaris hatch, the sedan is nice but I prefer the hatch so it is too bad that you can't get it that much equiped but oh well! I think the reason the hatch doesn't come with cruise, not only to keep price down but they figured it is a city car or generally there abouts so its not offered, which does suck. I wish my ECHO had it but I have to get an aftermarket system...eventually.