Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
FunForDummies

Drives: YRS 5dr MT
Newb. New Yaris - on wait list.

Thx for this forum, so much to check out.

Ordered a manual 5 door in red.

Last few months been looking at options to cut fuel expenses here. With the Egyptian and Libyan etc oil spikes we made a decision - gonna drop one of the 2 big cars and get at least one fuel miser... and last Saturday we placed an order. Most all the new Yaris stock had 'sold' tags and were locked. Except the 2 grey ones and a blue one in auto and a hot pink one in manual. A sale was going on and they were like hotcakes. A computer stock search turned one in the colour we wanted (red) that had to come from Sydney (300km) on their next restock.

The earthquake in Japan means there are a big delays in the pipeline too, so the model and the colour/tranny/accessory levels on stock left in Australia were not up to usual standard; aka 'limited'.

We wanted a 3 door but had to order a 5 door - dealer offerred it to us at very near the 3 door price. Toyota finance at 3percent for the whole of the price. No wonder the place was busy. Its a gift.

This model (YRS) has the 1.5 donk, the 6 or 7 airbag set, 15in wheels, air con and lots of accessories but not cruise control FGS. Why? What "engineered to a price" manager made the choice that cruise was less worthy/desirable than -say- the electric windows? Give me cruise any day over the window gadgets.

So I have joined a line of people on the wait list.
FunForDummies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Welcome - post pics when you get it! Also, check out the DIY for cruise control - you can add your own with a few switches and some wire.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
FunForDummies

Thx Altitude, just checked out the cruise DIY threads. Very cool, as are the turbo threads....

Also, I'm going in knowing the 3rd gen is on its way, and deliberately avoiding it.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
3dr5speedblk
StickShift

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB
Yes I think these small cars will be hard to get!
Got my hatch in November,5speeds the way to go!
Why did you "have to"order a 5door? There cool!
Cruise DYI is E Z! Done it! This is a MUST Have, Use it ALL the time!
Buy it all online..

Good times!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:57 AM   #5
FunForDummies

Hey! Just picked it up and drove it home. I videoed my wife driving it out of the dealers. 00000012km on the odometer.

Red. 5door. "YRS" badge with 7 airbags. 1.5 donk. Manual. USB 2.0

Build date 3/11

I ordered it on the 26th and it arrived in country on the RO-RO car carrier "Pacific Highway" on the 31st at Port Adelaide near 7pm. (Thx google). Here it is the 8th, so it took 8 days to get to me and get a set of plates on it.

I wonder if the RO-RO surfed the Tsunami for a bit?

On close inspection (in the daylight), seems to be a circle of bright LED brakelights but a bulb on the park lights.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
WOW, think about it...build date 3/11 isnt that the day the tsunami hit them? I dont think they've built one since, have they?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
sickpuppy1

check for water in the doors,lol
Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
vst

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunForDummies View Post
Hey! Just picked it up and drove it home. I videoed my wife driving it out of the dealers. 00000012km on the odometer.

Red. 5door. "YRS" badge with 7 airbags. 1.5 donk. Manual. USB 2.0

Build date 3/11

I ordered it on the 26th and it arrived in country on the RO-RO car carrier "Pacific Highway" on the 31st at Port Adelaide near 7pm. (Thx google). Here it is the 8th, so it took 8 days to get to me and get a set of plates on it.

I wonder if the RO-RO surfed the Tsunami for a bit?

On close inspection (in the daylight), seems to be a circle of bright LED brakelights but a bulb on the park lights.
checked for radiation?
vst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
sickpuppy1

Wow....what kind of Mod would that be if your car glows in the dark!!!!
Throw popcorn in the front seat and see if it pops.....
Old 04-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
FunForDummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vst View Post
checked for radiation?
LOL. Yeah its got a radiator alright...

Ironic that they have to export 5000 brand new small cars per shipload just after the Tsunami footage clearly showed they lost hundreds and hundreds of small cars in the coastal zone. Still, they make 10,000 Yaris a month off the line so it won't take long to cover the lost cars; the roads & infrastructures will take years.. The line is near Nagoya "bay" (whatever) in the south, on the western side of the archiepeligo south of Tokyo.

As I remember, the nuke stations breached coolant a day or two or three after the Quake+Tsunami.

These are probably the last of the Gen 2 Yaris. I suspect Gen 3 is probably on the line now.

--------

Went for a night drive -first one. Tried the USB, the pretty dashlights, headlights etc. Hi-beam adjustment looks too high to me.

Grumble number 1: I noticed that there is no courtesy light around the ignition keyhole like my old 1992 car. This is 2011 fgs. I know its not a Lexus, but would it be too expensive to catch up and have a little light there?

43km now.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Drives: 09YarisSedan, 94Truck22re
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunForDummies View Post

Grumble number 1: I noticed that there is no courtesy light around the ignition keyhole like my old 1992 car. This is 2011 fgs. I know its not a Lexus, but would it be too expensive to catch up and have a little light there?
Check the DIY forum, I'm sure they have a walkthrough. Here is the part you are looking for.. LED

http://shop.microimageonline.com/LED...kit-IL-LED.htm

enjoy!
NZ-FE Vios is offline   Reply With Quote