Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #19
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the scanguage is better than the ecometer. I can't remember the specifics, but i know there was someone on here who bought an ecometer and regretted it. it simply does not have all the features a scanguage does.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #20
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I wouldn't base your manual or auto buying decision on fuel efficiency.

Realistically, it is negligible for the Yaris. What really matters is how you drive and in what conditions.

Base you decision on other factors. Mainly, what do you prefer and enjoy to drive the most. Because that's what you have to live with. If you think driving a manual is a bit too much work but buy it because you might average 1-2 mpg more, than that's a mistake.

Go with the transmission you prefer, and drive conservatively.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #21
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Right on.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #22
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
fills for both automatics got over 39 m.p.g..
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #23
CKaelin

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5 speed
Manual...) See sig.

My other ride's a Gixxer!
CKaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #24
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
@STC

I am running 44psi, max sidewall rating in the tires, and have approx 33k miles on the Goodyear rubber. (I run snow tires on a separate set of rims, Dec 1 through Apr 1)

At dealer delivery the tires only had 28psi, and I put them to 32psi at the first fill up. About 2 months later I raised it to 40, and eventually settled on 44.

-----
The ecometer was not yet popular when I bought, so I went with the ScanGuage II.

You can get the ScanGuage for $155 if you look hard. I liked having the 4 readouts which I have set to display: Trip Mpg, Tach, Coolant Temp, and Throttle Position. Keeping the Tach around 2100 or the Throttle around 23, video game style, helps to make the Trip Mpg climb up.

The other advantage to the ScanGuage is that you can set a function to display most any engine condition it can clear some error codes.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #25
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
This is the best advice overall, but I feel that it's worth pointing out that of the four folks that consistently hit 50+ MPG tanks in the summer only one of them drives an auto. I'm not sure if this is because most fuel efficiency minded Yaris buyers migrate towards the manual, though.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #26
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
run 35 p.s.i..
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #27
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShot View Post
@STC

I am running 44psi, max sidewall rating in the tires, and have approx 33k miles on the Goodyear rubber. (I run snow tires on a separate set of rims, Dec 1 through Apr 1)

At dealer delivery the tires only had 28psi, and I put them to 32psi at the first fill up. About 2 months later I raised it to 40, and eventually settled on 44.

-----
The ecometer was not yet popular when I bought, so I went with the ScanGuage II.

You can get the ScanGuage for $155 if you look hard. I liked having the 4 readouts which I have set to display: Trip Mpg, Tach, Coolant Temp, and Throttle Position. Keeping the Tach around 2100 or the Throttle around 23, video game style, helps to make the Trip Mpg climb up.

The other advantage to the ScanGuage is that you can set a function to display most any engine condition it can clear some error codes.
Okay... I have to try a little higher on the tire pressure. SGII sounds better. The features are important to me, especially the 'Coolant Temp'. I don't care for how the Yaris temp is set up! I would assume then SGII plugs into the OBD port then?

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #28
hyprmiler
It's cold in Wisconsin...

Drives: 2008 and 2009 Yaris Sedans
yes it goes directly into the OBDII port which is located under your steering column and to the left (by the engine hood release)

I love my ScangaugeII, but in reality it is a bit over hyped in my opinion.

It DID however save me some $$$ when I needed to scan 3 cars with check engine lights (none of which were the Yaris).

Just a fancy toy in my opinion... not worth the price, but nice none the less.
hyprmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #29
jhsouders
With the help of SGII

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan Manual
I got my scangauge II for only $120 on ebay brand new, never opened.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #30
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd get the manual if you enjoy driving,
if you are regularly stuck in rush hour traffic then go for the nanny tranny.
I enjoy driving and that's why all my cars have been manual.

Yes, one of the reasons I got a Yaris for commuting is its great gas milage.

However, I really don't care if I get 40 mpg or 35 mpg as I consider both figures good.
I just drive for enjoyment and don't worry about mpg.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #31
StragglerX

Drives: Yaris Sedan S
i get 38 mpg (worse) when i drive my 5 spd 08 sedan S aggressively and 42 mpg (best) conservatively with everything stock at 85% hiway. i recently upgraded to 205/50/16 on alloys which is 10 lbs heavier from each stock 15s steels. added trd swaybar with sticky tires made me even more aggressive and now i get 32 worse to 38 best.

32 is when i feel like always in a hurry city driving and doing 85 on freeways. 42 is when i drive like doing a drive test with dmv and max 70 on freeways.

my upgrades to wider tires and swaybar makes my yaris a fire breathing YARIS.
StragglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #32
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
On an automatic, with max psi 44 and a 130 mile round daily commute, I'm averaging 35-36 MPG. Note: My commute to work uses a different route than the route on the way back to avoid paying toll twice. The best I've had is 38 MPG and that was by doing 60 MPH on the 70 mile one-way and about 70 MPH on the 60 mile return trip home. I don't have a ScanGauge.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #33
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyDawg View Post
On an automatic, with max psi 44 and a 130 mile round daily commute, I'm averaging 35-36 MPG. Note: My commute to work uses a different route than the route on the way back to avoid paying toll twice. The best I've had is 38 MPG and that was by doing 60 MPH on the 70 mile one-way and about 70 MPH on the 60 mile return trip home. I don't have a ScanGauge.
That is not too bad...

You will see a noticeable difference if you bring your speed down to 50 - 52 MPH. I try to keep my tach at around 2,000 - 2,100 RPM while driving. Manual shifts are at the 1,900 - 2,200 range.

If driving an auto... feather the gas pedal... accelerate really slow. Be aware of your surroundings well ahead of you. Coast to stop lights once you see it far ahead of you turn red. Take off very slow...

Use glides as much as possible when in gear (DFCO gliding) on hills or mountain long grades. I find hilly and mountain terrain to be better for FE then flat terrain.

Most of all stay consistent. Listen to your engine. Driving technique is everything in maximizing your FE...

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:55 PM   #34
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyDawg View Post
Interesting, because my 2010 sedan does 38+ normally, 75 highway 25% city. I have got one tank at 40 and one at 41.4 mpg. Have my tires at 40 and I do 70-75 on the way to and from work. Heck, last weekend I went to a concert in St Louis and was running late. Did avg 80mph with the AC on and still did 38.8 for the trip there, around town driving while there and back to Columbia, Mo before I filled up. The rest of the trip home was around 75 and all week to and from work and that was my 41.4 tank. One thing I do notice is this car like Quick Trip gas much better than Philips 66. I mean a noticeable difference in mileage. 2-3 mpg! I had to gas up at Phillips in town this weekend and the gauge is 2 bars down at 120 miles which is not cool and I had one tank at 35mpg which was also Phillips. My Civic was just the opposite, it did better on Phillips than QT. Weird stuff......
Old 06-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #35
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=XcWd...eature=channel
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #36
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
One thing I do notice is this car like Quick Trip gas much better than Philips 66. I mean a noticeable difference in mileage. 2-3 mpg! I had to gas up at Phillips in town this weekend and the gauge is 2 bars down at 120 miles which is not cool and I had one tank at 35mpg which was also Phillips. My Civic was just the opposite, it did better on Phillips than QT. Weird stuff......
What I see here is stations of various brands getting their tanks filled by trucks from a regional jobber with a name like Appalachian Petroleum. I suspect all of the gasoline comes from the same source at the same pipeline terminal, and any differences there may be come from blending their proprietary detergent packages and ethanol en route in the truck. However, I've read on some sites that people who carry around graduated test tubes to measure ethanol content by adding a measured amount of water and then viewing the alcohol-water mixture that settles out say that it's not uncommon to see ethanol percentages well above the supposed maximum of 10%, often approaching 20%. Gas vendors have a motivation to do this as they get a Federal subsidy of I think 60¢ per gallon of ethanol they sell, and gas consumption has been down to about 2006 levels recently, making it hard to dispose of all the fuel ethanol that's produced with a blending limit of 10%. That's the driving force behind the move to increase the ethanol to 15%, which will likely happen soon. Many of us are already burning that without knowing it. It does reduce mileage as the ethanol contains less energy per gallon than gasoline hydrocarbons.

Another reason mileage may go down is if you get gas of lower octane and the knock sensor tells the ECU to retard the ignition timing. That reduces efficiency.

Anybody who's interested in acquiring a fuel alcohol test kit should browse go-kart racing sites.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic, manual, mpg