Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #19
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
keep

I would say keep'er unless the rear axle is bent also, hey I like the color, mine is also silver. These cars should make it up to 300k miles if you take care of it. Good luck
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #20
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Drives: Yaris 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
have it repaired for cheap then use it until it dies. your original idea is right, since you dont care about looks. so have it done for bodywork (very cheap) then paint it on your own.

the cheap bodywork will get rust after many years, by then you probably couldnt care less about your yaris. even better, someone might rear hit you in that area again, then you could have a real job done for it (if his insurance pays for it).

oh btw, the story's a little different if insurance finds youre not at fault. if so, i would suggest have it restored very carefully...then use it until it dies. :)
That one is a great idea!, jcboy! I've never thought about it and will definitely keep it mind. Thanks!
Perpetuous_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #21
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2FiNiTY View Post
since the car is paid off and drives well, keep it since you don't want to be spending money.

if you wanna take it to the next step, keep it like that, and fix it one day if you decide to sell the car or never fix it at all. you never know, maybe one day, someone will hit your car in the same spot.
You are completely right on that, B2FiNiTY! This is the most practical way to handle this issue. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
I would say keep'er unless the rear axle is bent also, hey I like the color, mine is also silver. These cars should make it up to 300k miles if you take care of it. Good luck
Thanks! I've replaced the rear axle beam, so the only problem now is the body damage, and yes, I believe that these cars can go way over 300k with a proper maintenance.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #23
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Fix it. Go to a good body shop that will warranty their work for life, and let them replace the entire thing.

I sideswiped a stop sign on a dark and stormy day, and the quarter panel like yours was messed up badly. I took it to my insurance, found the best body shop in the area. The fixed it up perfectly, gave me 3 different lifetime warranties, 1 from the shop for the work, 1 from the paint company for the paint, and 1 from the insurance company for everything, and it is good as new.

Even if the accident is your fault, your insurance is there to pay for it. The premiums won't rise that much. Plus a fixed car will get much better gas mileage.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #24
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Fix it. Go to a good body shop that will warranty their work for life, and let them replace the entire thing.

I sideswiped a stop sign on a dark and stormy day, and the quarter panel like yours was messed up badly. I took it to my insurance, found the best body shop in the area. The fixed it up perfectly, gave me 3 different lifetime warranties, 1 from the shop for the work, 1 from the paint company for the paint, and 1 from the insurance company for everything, and it is good as new.

Even if the accident is your fault, your insurance is there to pay for it. The premiums won't rise that much. Plus a fixed car will get much better gas mileage.
Thanks! If everything goes fine, I will surely follow the way you've just described. It really sucks to get into this kind of stuff, since I've driven cars and motorcycles for 15 years and never had even a close sign of being involved in any kind of road accident.
Hope you had a good experience with an insurance company, but mine (State Farm) is just a pain in ... to deal with and it treats me like I owe them something. This is very disgusting because I've never caused any problem for them and been their long-term customer.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #25
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpetuous_Dreamer View Post
This is very disgusting because I've never caused any problem for them and been their long-term customer.
You must remember that the insurance company is not in business to make you money .. but rather make them money.

I was in an accident with my Yaris in December and it took 4 months for the other drivers insurance company to admit fault. I then got my Yaris fixed and it looked like it just came from the showroom. So some times these things can work out well for you, especially if you were not at fault.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #26
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
take the rear interior panels off. you'll be able to get probably 80% of that dent out (to at least a bondo-able section) from back there. it's completely hollow behind that plastic to the outer metal, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #27
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
take the rear interior panels off. you'll be able to get probably 80% of that dent out (to at least a bondo-able section) from back there. it's completely hollow behind that plastic to the outer metal, lol.
Great tip, mr_miles! Beside saving money, I'll get some expertise in collision repair