Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #37
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Another thing that would make sense is to take voltage measurements. Do you have a volt meter?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #38
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I do. We checked the elements in the back when the car was on, with driving lights, and when brakes were applied. It seems that the driving lights come on fine, but the wire that provides the extra juice to amplify the brake lights don't come on.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #39
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
I do. We checked the elements in the back when the car was on, with driving lights, and when brakes were applied. It seems that the driving lights come on fine, but the wire that provides the extra juice to amplify the brake lights don't come on.
There's no amplifier. Basically, two circuits supply power separately to the two filaments of the bulb (one of which is brighter than the other).

On the bulb socket, the black wire is ground, the green is the tail light feed and the red is the stop light feed. If you measure red to black with the brake pressed and green to black with the tail lights on, you should see 12V on each.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #40
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

That is what I meant :). My electric jargon isn't professional grade my apologies. I'm sure I checked that, but I will check again with this new info. I can't thank you enough for your input :D
Old 10-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #41
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

OKay, so finally got a chance to open up m ycar again to look. Used a volt meter. Both the tails and the brake circuits work. However, the brakes are the green wire, and the tails are the red wire (on both sides). Both sides work, have used the volt meter on both. However, the bulbs refuse to work with the brake light signal. They will always come on for the tail light signal, but never, under any circumstance, for the brake light signal. I took some quick picture with my cellphone. If they're not what you need I will try to take more with a better camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image000.jpg (179.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Image001.jpg (157.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 10-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #42
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Oh my god. I am so stupid. BOTH the bulbs were burnt out. That was all. I just didn't think to check because the likelihood of both burning out at the same time seemed insane. FML. Thanks SO much CT. Sorry to waste your time trying to troubleshoot a problem that wasn't there. I'm so angry and relieved right now. Didn't know that I could feel those two emotions at the same time.

PS. ON that note, Adam, the stop light bulbs you gave me are bunk ;(

PPS. The other bulbs work fine though, thanks!
Old 10-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #43
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
I just can't help thinkin we've been max trolled. Nobody can be that Xumb...

Not even a bucket of rocks..... when you put in an open fillament bulb, it won't affect anything at all....

Oh well, guess some get their jollies in different ways.
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote