Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Deermunk
I've made a post!

Drives: none yet!
Going tomorrow to see a 2011 Yaris

Hello everyone, looking for some tips on buying one of these. I am planning on paying for 72 months.

If I treat this car good, proper maintenance, easy driving, will this car treat me good for 6 years and lets say 80,000 miles?

What common issues should I look out for?

How do these drive in snow/ice?

Hopefully someone feels like giving me some tips, it would be great, thanks!

Sean
Deermunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
giecoyeinram

Drives: yaris 2010
all i can say this car is very economical less maintainance and durable.
giecoyeinram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Tips to buying, find one, negotiate the crap out of the salesperson, and keep it for a long time.

The Yaris is rock solid, it will last as long as you want it to if you treat it right.

One thing I would do is look for other financing before you walk into a dealership. Sometimes banks will give you better deals, and one thing most people don't know is the finance people in car dealerships can and will negotiate.

They drive well enough in snow and ice, but I would use winter biased tires, especially if you are in the suburbs and not chicago proper I would use snow tires.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
One thing I would do is look for other financing before you walk into a dealership. Sometimes banks will give you better deals, and one thing most people don't know is the finance people in car dealerships can and will negotiate.
Definitely this. In fact, you should do your best to stay out of the Finance manager's office. The last time I talked to one, he tried to screw me on the interest rate. When I told him I was financing through my credit union he asked me what rate I was going to get. I didn't know (or care) because I was going to finance through my CU, regardless. So, I threw out a number like 7.5% and he started fiddling with numbers and came back with, "if you buy all these accessories I can go as low as 7%!" as if he was giving me a GREAT DEAL. I declined but it took 2 hours of haggling with the a-hole until he finally let me sign the papers. I went to my CU the next day and was able to get 4.8%.

So the lesson was, I buy all my cars through the internet now (carsdirect.com) and all the paperwork is done by the time I pick up my car. I never have to set foot in the Finance Manager's office.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Financing depends on credit rating. My wife and I dont have squat for money, but great credit. Paying everything on time always! (or at least within grace period,lol)
I got my Yaris with 0% interest for 5 years.Consequently got payments of 250.00 a month with no money down. They are doing 1.9% for 5-6 years on many of the Toyota line right now, but not sure of Yaris. But trust me,if they can do it on a Camry, they can do it on a yaris too. Dont let them tell you otherwise....( "I can get 2.9 on any Hyundai or Kia out there, dont tell me they are better at financing than Toyota is!!??")
They also are still doing the 2 year free maintainence thing in the Chicago area, gotta get that too!
Issues to look out for? None really.They are really good, reliable cars. Some make fancier, snazzy cars, but the Yaris is a good,long lasting, thrifty car to own. Yes, they can still break , but thats they exception rather than the rule.Otherwise we wouldnt need a warranty at all,huh? They are good in snow, but very light so when winter rolls around I would plan on a set of snow tires in your area. The OEM's are a compromise of all weather and of course,went to the lowest bidder.....Very light cars like ours are great on gas, and nimble, but dont dig down into deeper snow because of it.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I'm itchin to see the 2012 myself...

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
72mo for payments? i don't like the idea of still paying for a car that is outside of warranty...
Old 05-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Definitely this. In fact, you should do your best to stay out of the Finance manager's office. The last time I talked to one, he tried to screw me on the interest rate. When I told him I was financing through my credit union he asked me what rate I was going to get. I didn't know (or care) because I was going to finance through my CU, regardless. So, I threw out a number like 7.5% and he started fiddling with numbers and came back with, "if you buy all these accessories I can go as low as 7%!" as if he was giving me a GREAT DEAL. I declined but it took 2 hours of haggling with the a-hole until he finally let me sign the papers. I went to my CU the next day and was able to get 4.8%.

So the lesson was, I buy all my cars through the internet now (carsdirect.com) and all the paperwork is done by the time I pick up my car. I never have to set foot in the Finance Manager's office.
you just got a jerk. Most of them will realize quickly you won't get anything and they get you out quickly so they can try to make money off of someone else. 2 hours is absurd, if it takes more than 20 minutes in any decent dealership he will have a line, and that will piss off the salespeople.