Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
My $67 sound dampening / undercoating

I have been meaning to paint the inside of the wheel wells since I bought my Yaris to get rid of the patchy look of some visible paint and some patches of seam sealer.

This Saturday I was planning on doing an oil change and figured I would do something with the wheel wells while I had it up on the lift. Doing a little research on coatings for the wheel wells, I found that Herculiner paint-on truck bed coating seemed to be a good choice. It is a urethane rubber based coating and is promoted as being for both truck bed protection and undercoating. For $67 for a gallon, I figured it was worth a shot. I wanted something that could be brushed on to avoid the mess of overspray.

Herculiner.jpg

I initially applied two coats to the wheel wells. I then got under the car and coated the floor pan. This morning it was done curing, so I took it out for a test run. The roads were wet and coated with sand from Saturday's snow storm. I was extremely impressed with the sound dampening that the coating provided.

Yaris - Undercoating.jpg

Yaris - Undercoating2.jpg

Yaris - Undercoating3.jpg
Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Nice. Very jealous of your lift.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Additional weight?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
nice! I went with the more traditional fatmat at 1$/sq foot lol. I used only 50ft out of the 100 i bought, but plan on using a weee bit more when it warms up for the extremely noisy engine.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Additional weight?
Negligible as compared with something like dynamat. An entire gallon weighs about 10 lbs and I only used about 1/3 of the gallon. I think I have enough left to do Crashy and my Tacoma.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Negligible as compared with something like dynamat. An entire gallon weighs about 10 lbs and I only used about 1/3 of the gallon. I think I have enough left to do Crashy and my Tacoma.

wow...very nice! you should coat all over crashy...haha...that would be interesting

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Additional weight?
Even if it weighed 50 lbs, it would have a negligible effect on...well, anything! I plan to do something like this soon, the road noise is bad on these cars. Thank God the engine is fairly quiet at speed.

Good job! I never thought of bed coating... It dries very hard then?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Man, that lift is awesome...I'm drooling all over my desk!

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
josh044

Drives: 07 yaris hb - 5 spd
Very nice - I'd love to do some sound deadening work at some point. It would be interesting to see someone do a before and after sound level test. I wonder what fixes have the most payoff.
josh044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Deathegg - The Herculiner cures firm but flexible. It is urethane and is probably about half the durometer of roller blade wheels.

Josh044 - On Sunday night I was watching Wheeler-Dealers and they bought an old pickup to resell. The thing was loud as could be, so they bought a sound insulation kit for it. Before and after they did a sound level test and I sat there watching it going - Dang, I should have done that. I even have a good sound meter app for the iPhone.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Looks like $67 well spent. Did you have to pressure wash the dirt out before applying or just slapped it on?
Also curious about how much sound it helped block out. Damn your iPhone and that hindsight of yours! heehee.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Looks like $67 well spent. Did you have to pressure wash the dirt out before applying or just slapped it on?
I pressure washed it with Simple Green (and vacuumed all of the pebbles out of the leading edge of the rear wheel wells) before painting it.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathegg View Post
Even if it weighed 50 lbs, it would have a negligible effect on...well, anything! I plan to do something like this soon, the road noise is bad on these cars. Thank God the engine is fairly quiet at speed.

Not to burst your bubble, but you are incorrect. I can attest to that easily. 50lbs is 50lbs and will affect acceleration and braking. I see a very noticeable difference rolling on 15s as opposed to my 18s as well as whether or not I have my subwoofer box in the trunk or do not. Performing a spare tire delete even makes a difference. Every change you make to a car that is designed like the Yaris has an impact and you need to weigh the pros/cons. An example is going boosted and not only that, but whether or not you go SC or turbo when you gauge your FE. You very well trade FE for power.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Not to burst your bubble, but you are incorrect. I can attest to that easily. 50lbs is 50lbs and will affect acceleration and braking. I see a very noticeable difference rolling on 15s as opposed to my 18s as well as whether or not I have my subwoofer box in the trunk or do not. Performing a spare tire delete even makes a difference. Every change you make to a car that is designed like the Yaris has an impact and you need to weigh the pros/cons. An example is going boosted and not only that, but whether or not you go SC or turbo when you gauge your FE. You very well trade FE for power.
Wow, you must have a very sensitive backside if you notice the performance difference in 50 lbs. That's about 8 gallons of gas in the tank. If I take out the spare tire, my butt will not notice the difference. I would have to have a ScanGauge or similar instrumentation to tell the difference in MPG, acceleration, etc. Now, if you're talking about wheels and tires, that's a big difference in unsprung weight between 15" and 18". You'll notice that more than other weight reduction/increase.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Wow, you must have a very sensitive backside if you notice the performance difference in 50 lbs. That's about 8 gallons of gas in the tank. If I take out the spare tire, my butt will not notice the difference. I would have to have a ScanGauge or similar instrumentation to tell the difference in MPG, acceleration, etc. Now, if you're talking about wheels and tires, that's a big difference in unsprung weight between 15" and 18". You'll notice that more than other weight reduction/increase.
Completely correct, you're noticing the unsprung weight difference, which coutns 4-10 times more than regular weight.

I can just barely feel the difference when I pull my sub box + amp out... and it's pushing 90lbs.

CTScott, do you have any vids of your mufflerless exhaust? Just wondering how it sounds.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
Completely correct, you're noticing the unsprung weight difference, which coutns 4-10 times more than regular weight.

I can just barely feel the difference when I pull my sub box + amp out... and it's pushing 90lbs.

CTScott, do you have any vids of your mufflerless exhaust? Just wondering how it sounds.
It's actually the stock exhaust/muffler with a Toyota Thailand dual exhaust tip.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #17
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It's actually the stock exhaust/muffler with a Toyota Thailand dual exhaust tip.
I'm going to go ahead and delete my post, I just missed the forest for the trees lol.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #18
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:

50 lbs is noticeable in the yaris.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote