Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
I PHANT0M I

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Cold Air Intake...

I thinking of getting one very soon but i want to know if they are worth it like what are the pros and cons of a Cold Air intake....
Do they waste more gas or give more gas..
Better Horsepower...
A Deeper sounds...
Etc...

Let me know if i should invest in one
i was thinking of this one...
And also do you think i should get an Exhaust first or get the cold air intake first...
Thank You....
I PHANT0M I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I can not think of a CON.. I will say i feel its only for the sound. I did a dyno with stock intake and then put on a AEM CAI and gained about 1.5whp. this is with stock exhaust also. I am sure if you get the exhaust you main gain a couple horse power more.. but nothing that will be noticable.

They do sound really good on the yaris though
Old 01-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Yes.... most moderen stock intakes are well designed to begin with and adding a CAI usuially does not give ay notiocable gains.

As far as a CAI giving an engine more cool air, consider this......... most stock air boxes have an air inlet in front of the engine, near the grill.
Besides, when the car is moving, "cool" air is constantly being directed to a stock intake's inlet.

When the last gen Celica was released, a dyno test was done with and without the stock air cleaner element installed.
To his surprise, just removing the stock paper filter with the stock airbox gave about the same gain as installing a CAI with a free flowing air filter on the Celica.

So a free flowing filter (like a K&N) with the sock airbox can often give the same gains as a CAI.

Don't forget that any published gains are in the top end with the stock airbox using a restictive paper filter vis a CIA with a free flowing filter.

IMO most just install a CAI for the sound and the "WOW" factor.

Last edited by RedRide; 01-31-2012 at 04:20 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote