Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
john21031

Drives: '10 Fit Sport MT and 2012 Fit
Sorry guys, I bought the Fit.

I spent countless hours on this forum since 2006 but I slowly leaned towards the fit mostly for added safety.

So I pulled the trigger on a White Fit Sport Manual. Paid 18,630 including taxes.

The only two things I miss in it that Yaris has is a better gas mileage, and a cute, complete look that the Yaris has.

But on the bright side, my friend in Turkey got a black 2008 Yaris after her brother kept her Fit. :)

I will still be around reading this forum. It's so friendly and has so many interesting folks (something I have hard time saying about FitFreak.net. That one is full of teenagers who are into modding their cars). :)

Last edited by john21031; 12-27-2009 at 01:52 PM.
john21031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
BOOOOOO! :(

jk, have fun with it. ;)

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
aaah don't worry, we won't judge you (much) :D

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Oh noes!
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
Old 12-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Whenever i look at the fit if i stand back and squint my eyes it looks like im looking at the honda odessy. Its like they used the same design team to build both cars.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Nothing to be sorry about, it's a fantastic little car!

The only reason I'm not driving a fit now is A.) Way too expensive for what you get, B.) I don't like four doors.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Not a bad choice. It's is a great car but certainly costs a good amount more than Yaris although does come with more standard features. $18,600 is steep for a manual sun-compact.

Nevertheless, you'll definitely enjoy the car. Fun to drive, good seats, and lot's of versatility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john21031 View Post
I spent countless hours on this forum since 2006 but I slowly leaned towards the fit mostly for added safety.

So I pulled the trigger on a White Fit Sport Manual. Paid 18,630 including taxes.
As for safety, now the Yaris has standard side airbags and ABS, I wouldn't consider the Fit to be safer. Maybe just by a hair. This shouldn't have been a primary reason for choosing the Fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Whenever i look at the fit if i stand back and squint my eyes it looks like im looking at the honda odessy. Its like they used the same design team to build both cars.
Perhaps. The reason for this is that this body shape creates the most amount of interior space (outside of a pure box shape). Naturally, this will bring both cars close together in looks. Honda's primary goal with the Fit is for maximum space efficiency for a sub-compact. Hence it's name.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Very nice car and congrats on the purchase. I do agree for that price you paid though, for the same price or a PINCH more, you could have upgraded to quite a few nice vehicles.

Don't throw a Fit...Drive a Fit!!
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Honda's primary goal with the Fit is for maximum space efficiency for a sub-compact. Hence it's name.
Not so. It was named the Fitta, until Honda's marketers learned that was a vulgar name for female genitalia in the Scandinavian languages, so they shortened it to Fit.

It's a nice little car, though. (That does look like a mini-minivan.)
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
Nothing to be sorry about, it's a fantastic little car!

The only reason I'm not driving a fit now is A.) Way too expensive for what you get, B.) I don't like four doors.
Agreed.. To that, I'll add....
I don't like the Fit's forward pillar which blocks visibility
I don't like the Fit's lack of storage compartments
I don't like the Fit's asymetrical controls layout for the aircondition and stuff.. It looks half-baked like they tried to just shove controls in there without planning it out well.

But hey, it's always great to have options.. There's a car out there for everybody no matter what size and shape you're looking for.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Not so. It was named the Fitta, until Honda's marketers learned that was a vulgar name for female genitalia in the Scandinavian languages, so they shortened it to Fit.

It's a nice little car, though. (That does look like a mini-minivan.)
That may be the case. However Honda clearly has designed a car that focuses on maximizing space efficiency in the sub-compact class allowing people to "fit" just about anything. In much of the world "Jazz" is the name of this car anyway.

The nameplate Jazz is used in Europe, some parts of Asia, Australia, Oceania, the Middle East, and Africa - while retaining the name "Fit" in Japan, China, and the Americas.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Congrats on the new car.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidicas View Post
I don't like the Fit's asymetrical controls layout for the aircondition and stuff.. It looks half-baked like they tried to just shove controls in there without planning it out well.

I like the clever, but simple interior layout of the Yaris liftback, The Fit’s dashboard looks silly IMHO.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
How many did you buy? I see you have pics of a red, white, and blue one. Maybe you're just supporting the ole USA? Or is that some kind of special color changing paint?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #16
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
How many did you buy? I see you have pics of a red, white, and blue one. Maybe you're just supporting the ole USA? Or is that some kind of special color changing paint?
It's a transformer , pick your color of the day and hey presto
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #17
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I personally don't think the two cars are in the same genre. The Fit does appear to be a mini-minivan (a 1/2 scale Odyssey) but we own an Odyssey and it's a great van!

But I see the Fit targeting the "young family with kids" crowd more so than the Yaris, which is more of a hip, economical "commuter car."

Had I not owned an Odyssey I would have probably considered the Fit, but I wanted something that got great gas mileage, wasn't as common as Civics and Neons, and had a European flare to it. Hence, the Yaris was a natural choice...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #18
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
fit looks great :)
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote