Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
PolarBear

Drives: Yaris 4dr sedan
Need help ASAP, fuel gauge / shipping car

I have a 2010 Yaris Sedan.
So to ship a car from Hawaii to mainland they wanted my fuel around 1/4. Well i was going to ship it today, aka last minute but now have to wait until tomorrow and this is why....

So i called and they said get it down here asap to the docks. Well I had just filled up so i went to siphon out the gas. I couldn't get through the gas cap area so i disconnected the rubber flexible tube from the tank to the spot where the fuel enters. I took out all the gas. The gas tank was empty empty i thought i was going to run out. Well i lower the car and go to drive and the gauge is still showing full. So i am assuming that the fuel gauge is somewhere between the tank and the place you put gas in? I put 1 galloon of gas in so i dont run out and keeping an eye on miles. i have scan gauge so i have a good idea when i am about how much i get with 1 galloon of gas. So i drove it home since and the gauge is slowly about half now but not dropping past that.

So how do i reset gauge? (i tried to pull all the related fuses did nothing)
Where is the gauge at?

Any other thoughts or ideas?

I feel stupid and now i have to wait till tomorrow hopefully to ship it.
PolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The gauge sender is in the tank. The cluster does a lot of filtering on the data from it because of how much the gas sloshes around. Pull the cluster connectors for a few seconds or pull the ECU-B, MET, and PANEL1 fuses to reset it.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Maybe try just thumping the bottom of the fuel tank a few times. Level sender could be stuck since the level went down so quickly. Might be lucky and by tomorrow the gauge will have sorted itself out.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote