Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
2007yariz

Drives: Yaris sedan
Question where to replace the water pump? Toyota dealer or shop?

Hi All, my 07 sedan has about 92k miles and it has always been spraying coolant on the underside of the hood (left side) since 3 or 4 years ago.

should I take it to a dealer to replace the water pump & serp belt to ensure it is done right? or take it to a private shop for a cheaper price?
2007yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
If you know a reputable private shop I would go there.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:41 PM   #3
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
As a mechanic, I always suggest to go to who you are most comfortable with to do the job correctly, and not oversell things. Whether it is a private shop or a dealer, some are good some are bad. The dealer does not guarantee the job will be done correctly though. For example just today I had a customer come back because we recommended he replace bushings on his truck (they were obviously torn, in an important area). He took it to the dealer because he had some warranty work to be done, and they said there was nothing worng with the bushings. Almost 1/2 of it had torn off the metal..... So today I showed him the obvious tearing and explained why it's a problem.

Waterpump is a pretty easy thing on a Yaris. Pretty well any shop should be able to do it for you. The only thing I would suggest is ask for Toyota coolant if you take it to a private shop. Waterpump can be aftermarket, but go for Toyota coolant.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote