Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
monkeydave

Drives: 2016 yaris icon
possible problem with timing chain

i seem to be having a timing chain noise before the car is fully up to temp but the thing is the car started with this noise around the 3000 mile mark and now with 8500 miles is a year old so way to early for this kind of thing

the car is normal sounding when up to temp, it has been in to the dealers twice and despite hearing something when i am showing the tech, the next day says all is normal

i paid for a new belt tensioner and belt as the pulley was making some noise up close and now it seems to be on the chain side of things

here is a sample video and stay for the end as i take the oil cap off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE5JLjGHJAU

the noise is a little shhh shhh noise at start and then it goes quiet for a 3 mins and then comes back for 10 to 15 mins and then goes quiet until the next start up

the tech did say something about the timing chain tensioner but the next day everything is ok and says car is normal, this is after two trips to the dealer

the car has plenty of power and runs smoothly and has good mpg, it also does not use any oil or coolant and the noise has not changed after the oil was chained on the first service at 6500 miles with 0 20 oil at the dealers

thanks for your help guys

Last edited by monkeydave; 01-02-2018 at 01:55 PM.
monkeydave is offline   Reply With Quote