Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #19
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr9865 View Post
Its just that the base airbag is a little different than the one in your diagrams
I see that now. This is a picture that I snapped when I test drove a 2012 base. Unfortunately with the sales guy breathing down my neck, I wasn't able to poke around as much as I would have liked to. The 2012 base airbag cover looks a whole lot like the 06-11.

Look on the sides of of the lower steering wheel cover for the two holes, where the Torx screws would be on a 06-11.

2012 Cluster.jpg
Old 12-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #20
motoman740

Drives: 2012 yaris 3 door
ok so i took some pictures of the steering wheel:

The air bag is held on by what looks like 3 or 4 clip style bolts. To remove the air bag you have to insert a small screwdriver and push a metal clip that in turn releases the module. There should be 3 or 4 clips. The removal should be a bit tricky since you have to work your way around to get all loose, but the installation is going to be super easy.

the cover is removed easily by inserting a small key/screw driver in the notch and popping it loose.

The gauge cluster already has the markings for the cruise functions but the lights dont turn on when the ignition is put on. This tells me that probably the bulbs are not installed and the hole is empty, or the ecm doesnt have the cruise control programmed... Its probably the lack of bulbs.

motoman740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Thanks for snapping those pics. Even on the 09-11 the CC lights don't light up with the ignition, but they do work once the stalk is in, so I am sure that the 2012 is the same.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #22
CENTRALDM

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I recently obtained the wiring diagrams for the 2012 Yaris. Much of the wiring and connectors remain the same as the second generation Yaris. This is the case for cruise control, so 2012 Yaris owners can DIY cruise control using the same OEM stalk.

For the 2012 the wiring is the same as that of the 2009-2011 Yaris, where the wiring from the ECM to the steering column is (theoretically) there. Also, the 2012 Yaris has the cruise control "On" and "Set" indicators built into the instrument cluster.

For those with the steering wheel audio controls the spiral cable connector, under the airbag, is a 10 pin connector, instead of a 4 pin connector (like those without steering audio controls and that of the 2006-2011 Yaris).

Attachment 44502

Those with the audio controls will need to transfer the two cruise control pins (in positions 1 and 2) from the 4 pin cruise control stalk wire to their 10 pin spiral cable connector (in positions 1 and 2).

The procedure for removing the steering wheel airbag is a little different for the 2012, where three clips secure the airbag to the steering wheel (rather than 2 screws like the 2006-2011 Yaris).

Attachment 44503

Also, for the 2012, the lower steering wheel cover has a separate removable cover section for where the cruise stalk goes through, called the "lower no. 2 steering wheel cover"

Attachment 44504

If someone from the Connecticut area is interested in adding cruise control to their 2012 Yaris, I have the parts and would be more than willing to help to give me the opportunity to document the process and update my Cruise Control DIY.
I bought new yaris 2012 in South Africa and i want install cruise control. where can I get all the spare parts?The car has got all the radio bluetooth buttons on steering wheel. Can you help me. I dont want to install aftermarket unit.
CENTRALDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CENTRALDM View Post
I bought new yaris 2012 in South Africa and i want install cruise control. where can I get all the spare parts?The car has got all the radio bluetooth buttons on steering wheel. Can you help me. I dont want to install aftermarket unit.
Hopefully I can help. The first question is if the ECM on your Yaris has the cruise control function built in. If you could PM me the VIN number of your car, I can run it through the international EPC to see if it does.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #24
CENTRALDM

Drives: yaris
Where can I contact you to get the spare parts. From which model can I bought it? Please help? Danie from South Africa.
CENTRALDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #25
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CENTRALDM View Post
Where can I contact you to get the spare parts. From which model can I bought it? Please help? Danie from South Africa.
I PMed you back regarding some additional information that I will need to determine if the ECM on your Yaris has the cruise control function built in.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #26
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I'm still looking for someone around the Connecticut area that is interested in having cruise control installed on their 2012 Yaris.

I shipped a stalk to a gentleman from South Africa, who successfully installed it on his Yaris, but he had a tough time with figuring out how to remove the airbag. I believe that from the pictures that he sent me, that I now have a good grasp of how to do so, but I would like to get it documented to make it easy for anyone who wants to DIY cruise control to do so.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #27
Crandall
H8R

Drives: 08 White RS
Scott; do you think the clockspring from the 2012's would work in the previous generation? I would love to have cruise and audio controls.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #28
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandall View Post
Scott; do you think the clockspring from the 2012's would work in the previous generation? I would love to have cruise and audio controls.
My bet is that it will fit and it does have the extra wires necessary to allow for both cruise and steering wheel controls.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #29
Crandall
H8R

Drives: 08 White RS
Quote:
My bet is that it will fit and it does have the extra wires necessary to allow for both cruise and steering wheel controls.
I guess I'll have to order one and see if it indeed does.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
12BusYaris
I've made a post!

Drives: 2012 Yaris Hatch
Photos (steering wheel upside down)

I shot a few photos showing the pins and how to access them to remove the air bag/horn button. Just a note - I turned the steering wheel for easier access to the pins (thus photos show upside down). I never diconnected the airbag as it will rest on the steering wheel and allow easy access to install the stalk and connections.

Jay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1692.jpg (147.0 KB, 1417 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1693.jpg (133.5 KB, 1401 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1694.jpg (101.8 KB, 1394 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1695.jpg (107.6 KB, 1399 views)
12BusYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #31
richard_rsp

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 3Dr
Thank You! Those pictures help dramatically in understanding the process and the method for accessing the pins! I got mine in the mail earlier today and will let everyone know how it goes! :)

EDIT: Ok, just went and installed mine on my 2012 Yaris L. VERY EASY. Bad news: It doesn't work. The Green light comes on, however, it will not set at a speed. I have a distinct feeling that the clutch switch is not on the 2012 Yaris L... I looked under the dash and did not see a switch, except for the starter safety switch; there was only a bolt to stop the clutch from coming up.

EDIT 2: Ok, I have confirmed that my 2012 Yaris L (3-door) does NOT have the cruise control clutch switch. All of the wiring is there (including the harness connector) but the actual switch is absent. I was able to jump the pins on the connector (THanks CTScott!) and the cruise worked fine. So, if anybody is adding cruise control to their 2012 Yaris L (Manual Tranny, of course), it looks like we will need to install the clutch switch. (Hey, at least all the wiring is there! :-) )

Also turned the wheel upside down for better access

3 Clips

Here is under the dash where the "clutch switch" should be

Last edited by richard_rsp; 05-19-2012 at 10:20 PM.
richard_rsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #32
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Thanks for all of the pictures gentlemen! This will now allow me to put together a proper step by step DIY for the 2012.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #33
Slasher

Drives: 2012 RED M/T 3DR
Thanks CTScott,

The pics of the airbag clips made it super simple!!! I only had one real problems and that was removal/install of the horn pin on the old 4 pin connector... I broke it!!! I tried to force it!!! It's ALL MY OWN FAULT!!!! The removing the pin was almost impossible as there isn't a pin unlock like anything in the picture...

Well except for not having a horn, it works great on my 2012 3dr L 5spd

Also the lower dash panel under the steering wheel has an airbag, so that meant getting down on the ground and contorting myself to look under but the clutch switch was really easy to instal. The biggest bear was trying to pull off the tape from the harness to drop the connection for the clutch switch...

I just got back from the test drive and a refill... So 2 tanks and I am averaging 41.6 mpg I am pleased as I am still running 32psi in the tires and running A/C!!!

I am sure the CC will make the commute more tolerable... The aero hubcaps are enroute... And the next upgrade will be the speakers...
Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
Thanks CTScott,

The pics of the airbag clips made it super simple!!! I only had one real problems and that was removal/install of the horn pin on the old 4 pin connector... I broke it!!! I tried to force it!!! It's ALL MY OWN FAULT!!!! The removing the pin was almost impossible as there isn't a pin unlock like anything in the picture...

Well except for not having a horn, it works great on my 2012 3dr L 5spd

Also the lower dash panel under the steering wheel has an airbag, so that meant getting down on the ground and contorting myself to look under but the clutch switch was really easy to instal. The biggest bear was trying to pull off the tape from the harness to drop the connection for the clutch switch...

I just got back from the test drive and a refill... So 2 tanks and I am averaging 41.6 mpg I am pleased as I am still running 32psi in the tires and running A/C!!!

I am sure the CC will make the commute more tolerable... The aero hubcaps are enroute... And the next upgrade will be the speakers...

I apologize for the broken pin issue. For 2006-2011 Yaris I ship the harness with the horn wire installed. After the last couple of 2012 installs I didn't think that I needed to include it, as the horn wire was on the other connector, but as it turns out that is only for 2012's with steering wheel audio controls. For ones without the horn wire is still on the 4 pin connector where the cruise control connects through.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #35
Slasher

Drives: 2012 RED M/T 3DR
Quote:
I apologize for the broken pin issue. For 2006-2011 Yaris I ship the harness with the horn wire installed. After the last couple of 2012 installs I didn't think that I needed to include it, as the horn wire was on the other connector, but as it turns out that is only for 2012's with steering wheel audio controls. For ones without the horn wire is still on the 4 pin connector where the cruise control connects through.
Scott,
I am happier than a pig in poop!!! I should have been able to do it, but these Yota pins are unlike many of the pins I've messed with... It looked simple, but I am sure there's a trick to em...
Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #36
Frank Necrosis

Drives: 2012 Yaris L MT
Ordered the parts from CTScott, got them quickly.

The install was relatively simple. It took me about 15 minutes. Everything works perfectly.

Thanks CTScott!!!!
Frank Necrosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control. 2012