Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
YarisBC

Drives: 2010 RS
2010 Yaris RS Rare?

I got a call from my local Toyota dealer today and my long awaited 5 door RS arrival has been pushed back another month. Bought the car in October, looks like I have to wait until March to get it.

I've got $7000 worth of upgrade parts for this car sitting at the dealership waiting to be installed, when the car finnally arrives from Japan.

Pretty much all of the advertised colors are not available on the RS models. My first three color choices were not available, so I went with red. I don't think any of the premium paint colors are available in Canada.

I've looked all over for a 2010 Rs, I found a couple used 09's, but no 10's. So did Toyota short supply these cars to Canada/USA? There is quite a lot of advertising for this model, but whats the point if you have to wait 6+ months to get the car? May as well call the car limited or special order?

I haven't seen any 2010's RS on any lots or even in display rooms. I hope I haven't committed to buying a car that doesn't even exist.

Does Toyota do this with all of their models/makes? Does my situation sound normal for Toyota?

Advertising the car as a regular model on the Toyota CA website.
http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObje...v124000e.html#
YarisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
RS is as with the newer models, the 5dr LE's can come REALLY loaded....only differences between a loaded LE and an RS are the body kit/spoiler, rims, interior colours....

that, and the RS at $19-20k is a hard sell when a corolla or matrix is up around there
Old 01-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Red RS 5-door FTW! Good luck with your wait... I had to wait about 3 months back in '06. Looking forward to seeing it post-mods!
Old 01-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
YarisBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
RS is as with the newer models, the 5dr LE's can come REALLY loaded....only differences between a loaded LE and an RS are the body kit/spoiler, rims, interior colours....

that, and the RS at $19-20k is a hard sell when a corolla or matrix is up around there
The RS is fully loaded. Funny thing about the LE upgrade packages. By the time you pick a couple of them, it costs more or as much as the RS with less in it. I originally didn't want to power windows but it would of cost me more money to not have that option.

I was in the market for a fuel efficient, fun to drive, and reliable car. My main car was a done up 92 GT4 RC, now its my summer car. My GT4 costs anywhere from $1000 to $4000 a month in parts to drive it full time. If you buy one of those imports from Japan and put more than 30000km a year on it, or go from 0 to 100 in 5 seconds in it. Then make sure you have a fat wallet to keep it going. I don't have the cash to drive my other car year round so I had been looking for something reliable since last summer.

I was going to buy a Matrix AWD, but they only come in automatic here, sooo no thanks. I can't stand auto's and I live in the rocky mountains, it's good times when your driving up an icy hill and your auto. trans. decides to pop into another gear and send you fish tailing.

I didn't like the looks of anything Toyota has made 2000+ until I came across a dealership special edition 09 Yaris RS in Calgary AB. (Country Hills Showroom, its probably still there.) I was sold on that Yaris as soon as I saw it. $31000 for the car. Now, I could of got a Corolla or Matrix loaded for that, but man that car looks sweet.

So with a 31k budget in mind I went back to B.C. to a local dealer and had them price out a similar package for me. Major difference with what I'm getting compared to that show room car is that all of my parts are TRD, and I got O-Z WRC rims, oh and mine will be a 2010 not an 09.

So I'm pretty excited to get the car, I just don't understand why Toyota would advertise a car for sale, when there isn't a single one across the entire country on a lot. Pointless?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

i hear ya yarisBC...not a lot of RS's kicking around

i have an almost-as-base-as-you-can-get yaris...

what the hell did you buy for the $7000 worth of parts? w/ OZ wrc rims, im sure thats like 1500 of it...

btw, no awd matrix in any country ever came with a manual transmission

@echo_hrs: when are you dropping that RS? ;)
Old 01-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
YarisBC

Quote:
i hear ya yarisBC...not a lot of RS's kicking around

i have an almost-as-base-as-you-can-get yaris...

what the hell did you buy for the $7000 worth of parts? w/ OZ wrc rims, im sure thats like 1500 of it...

btw, no awd matrix in any country ever came with a manual transmission

@echo_hrs: when are you dropping that RS? ;)
The rims and rubber are my biggest cost, Superturismo WRC white Rims and I got Nokian WR 215/40R17 for rubber. I have the same Nokians on my other car and they are amazing all weather (not all season) tires. Very good in snow and rain, only downside I found with them is that they aren't very good at 200kmh\125ish mph or faster when its really hot out, but I don't even know if a Yaris can go that fast?

I got some comsmetic extras like the rally spoiler etc. I got a top strut bar, its red and will look cool in that car, but I doubt I'll be going fast enough to notice it.

For TRD parts I got the full quick shift kit, boot and carbon fiber shift knob. I got the rear sway bar. The performance shocks. The lowering springs kit. Air Filter and the exhaust system. TRD stuff in Canada is a rip off BTW. Some stuff costs about 30% more to get it here.

I got some other stuff like the paint protection kit, and a dvd player with screen, but it must not be that big of a deal of an upgrade or I would remember ordering it haha. I'll have to look at home on the quote sheet.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

damn man....you rolled all of that into the loan? frick...

should have just bought most of that junk aftermarket

nokian WR though? what an odd choice....should have just got some snow's for the stock RS wheels and run something good for summer...but thats my view....i have space, time, and money to swap wheels twice a year
Old 01-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Quote:
....should have just got some snow's for the stock RS wheels and run something good for summer...
Word. Although maybe his location in BC doesn't necessitate proper winter tires...?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
Word. Although maybe his location in BC doesn't necessitate proper winter tires...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisBC View Post
and I live in the rocky mountains, it's good times when your driving up an icy hill
Umm, yeah, I'd say proper winters would be necessitated.

@OP - they do exist, and you will get it...eventually. Just have to wait it out.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
holy.crap. 30 grand on a yaris and its still mostly stock...

I would cancel the order and buy a bone stock 5 dr and build a faster, better handling yaris with a nicer body kit and better sound system for 22-25k tops.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
YarisBC

Quote:
damn man....you rolled all of that into the loan? frick...

should have just bought most of that junk aftermarket

nokian WR though? what an odd choice....should have just got some snow's for the stock RS wheels and run something good for summer...but thats my view....i have space, time, and money to swap wheels twice a year
I have General Altimax Arctic Winter tires for the RS stock wheels, they are decent. Area that I live in I get two months of decent summer weather, but it usually snows at least once in those two months. Also one of the main roads I travel always has frost in the morning, and freak hail storms that bury the roads are common in August. So summer treads are a poor choice for my area for anyone who is up driving early in the morning or night.

I've used the WR for a year now on my GT4, year round and really like them.

Also the financing is below 2% or lower right now, you can get 0% if you find an 09. The dealer didn't up charge me for any of the parts, its at cost. They even ordered some of the parts for me through US dealerships which saved me a bunch of money. Toyota Canada doesn't have the same agreement with TRD USA that Toyota US has. They make their money from the compound loan interest, which isn't much with how much I'm putting down and the term length along with the low financing percentage. And best of all even the aftermarket parts, labour and rims are covered by the warranty.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Quote:
I have General Altimax Arctic Winter tires for the RS stock wheels, they are decent. Area that I live in I get two months of decent summer weather, but it usually snows at least once in those two months. Also one of the main roads I travel always has frost in the morning, and freak hail storms that bury the roads are common in August. So summer treads are a poor choice for my area for anyone who is up driving early in the morning or night.
Good reason.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
YarisBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
holy.crap. 30 grand on a yaris and its still mostly stock...

I would cancel the order and buy a bone stock 5 dr and build a faster, better handling yaris with a nicer body kit and better sound system for 22-25k tops.
Yah if I was living in the US that would be an option. The price difference up here is pretty annoying sometimes with a lot of things we have to pay more for.

A great example is two years ago, my Dad wanted a Toyota Sequoia so he got shopping around for one. He noticed that on the internet the price in the US was about 25k cheaper than Canada. So he had someone buy it for him in Spokane and bring it up here. Inspect it etc. Still saved 20000 dollars. Only problem with this option is you can't get financing, you have to pay cash. I'm not waiting to save 25 thousand to buy a Yaris from the States.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
I got a call from my local Toyota dealer today and my long awaited 5 door RS arrival has been pushed back another month. Bought the car in October, looks like I have to wait until March to get it.

I've got $7000 worth of upgrade parts for this car sitting at the dealership waiting to be installed, when the car finnally arrives from Japan.

Pretty much all of the advertised colors are not available on the RS models. My first three color choices were not available, so I went with red. I don't think any of the premium paint colors are available in Canada.

I've looked all over for a 2010 Rs, I found a couple used 09's, but no 10's. So did Toyota short supply these cars to Canada/USA? There is quite a lot of advertising for this model, but whats the point if you have to wait 6+ months to get the car? May as well call the car limited or special order?

I haven't seen any 2010's RS on any lots or even in display rooms. I hope I haven't committed to buying a car that doesn't even exist.

Does Toyota do this with all of their models/makes? Does my situation sound normal for Toyota?

You said you already "bought" it...Does not mean you already paid for the car or does that mean you paid $500 deposit to send your order to the distributor?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #15
YarisBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
You said you already "bought" it...Does not mean you already paid for the car or does that mean you paid $500 deposit to send your order to the distributor?
Deposit and order sent. But I consider it bought since most of the parts have already come in, and that dealership has been pretty cool with me and my other car (No one else will touch it) in the past. It's not the dealerships fault.

Point of this thread is I was wondering if these kind of waits are normal for Toyota. And why would Toyota spend all the money advertising a car that they don't even manufacture for customer view?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:59 AM   #16
upgradedyaris

Drives: Yaris & Supra
Quote:
The RS is fully loaded. Funny thing about the LE upgrade packages. By the time you pick a couple of them, it costs more or as much as the RS with less in it. I originally didn't want to power windows but it would of cost me more money to not have that option.
I have an LE. It has everything, fully loaded. Power everything and cruise and fogs too. No body kit, which I hated and no rims which are too heavy. Gas mileage went to shit with the RS wheels on my car. (9 pounds heavier each wheel) I lowered mine and tinted my glass, good to go! I just don't have the dark interior, which I don't mind because my Supra has shadow Grey in it, so nice change.

Mine was a little less than the RS and it wasn't that different than the two.

Oh, mine also has adjustable intermittent wipers, yours doesn't, that is a fact. :D
upgradedyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #17
thebarber
daily driver

@ the OP: to answer your original question the waits are pretty standard for a yaris if you need/want something specific (including an RS)
Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #18
Mavix

Drives: '91 Hilux, '91 Cervo Mode
Dude, whether or not the dealership is telling you that they're giving you a deal or not, you're getting screwed on those parts. I got an '09 RS last year, fully loaded off the lot for a hair over 18k, and I haggled a 72month/120,000km EPC plan and undercoating out of them for nothing. Only difference from yours to mine is that I have the 3door.

Now I've put a rear sway bar, TRD lowering springs, limited slip differential, both short shift kits from NST, NST lightened pulleys, PRM intake, Borla exhaust and a new set of wheels/rubber on there and I'm maybe just over the 3 grand mark in terms of parts for the car. Most of what I've bought has been stuff thats damn near new or brand new from people on these boards, there's a super high turnover on parts here dude, just be patient and you'll find everything you want. Save yourself some coin and buy it yourself, screw the dealer. Because at 31k, I'm sorry, they're gouging you on something, I'm having a hard time seeing where this roughly 6 to 8 grand is going. I just dont get it.

I don't post on here very often but 31k is outrageous for what you're getting. By all means, buy the RS with as many options as you want, but buy all the extra parts yourself. Sweet jesus...I mean, maybe I got a deal because the economy was in the shits last year but man, thats just crazy.

**(edit)** And yes, to go along with thebarber, I had to wait a few months for my RS as well. 3 I think it was, and that was the minimum they said it would take.
Mavix is offline   Reply With Quote