Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
VitzBoy
Administrator

Drives: Yaris
Factory lowering springs

Anyone know how much the factory Eibach Pro-Kit/TRD springs lower the car and how much it costs to buy this from the dealer and have them install it? Thx.
VitzBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
Not sure about the US cost, but I have the dealer installed TRD/Eibach Pro-Kit on my Canadian Yaris, they lower the car about 1.75".

Canadian price including installation was $514 CDN (440 USD)...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:09 AM   #3
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
440 installed is Insane. The springs are 200ish and I know for a fact its not worth 200 to get somebody to put springs on. I am gonna wait for tein or h&r to make something also because i'm not a fan of eibach really. I have whiteline springs and tokico shocks on my wrx and I love how stiff and precise they are and I want to same feeling in this car.
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy
440 installed is Insane. The springs are 200ish and I know for a fact its not worth 200 to get somebody to put springs on. I am gonna wait for tein or h&r to make something also because i'm not a fan of eibach really. I have whiteline springs and tokico shocks on my wrx and I love how stiff and precise they are and I want to same feeling in this car.
The springs improve the handling dramatically, I paid the dealer gouging to get the springs on the car before I took delivery, and I prefer to have everything OEM, and dealer warrantied...

Cheers
Old 01-19-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
The springs improve the handling dramatically, I paid the dealer gouging to get the springs on the car before I took delivery, and I prefer to have everything OEM, and dealer warrantied...

Cheers
yeah thats true I guess you are paying for the warranty.
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
How is the drop? Do you find your car scraping the ground at all?

After basically destroying my front bumper on my Saab I am a little worried about lowering any car.

And my Saab supposedly has 4" of ground clearance.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:06 AM   #7
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
How is the drop? Do you find your car scraping the ground at all?

After basically destroying my front bumper on my Saab I am a little worried about lowering any car.

And my Saab supposedly has 4" of ground clearance.
The car is stored right now, but I can say (also from having the same drop on my old Echo Hatch) that the front and rear overhangs are so small there is little room to scrape. It is still quite high, since the factory springs are monster truck height...
Old 02-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
hoahmaru

Drives: 2007 White Yaris RS B Pac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
The car is stored right now, but I can say (also from having the same drop on my old Echo Hatch) that the front and rear overhangs are so small there is little room to scrape. It is still quite high, since the factory springs are monster truck height...
I'am getting my Yaris 3 door RS in March and I'am planning to lower it, but I live in Calgary where we get alot of snow sometime. Do you tink the springs you got at the dealership is too low for winter driving or should they be ok?
hoahmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
chessclubloser

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoahmaru
I'am getting my Yaris 3 door RS in March and I'am planning to lower it, but I live in Calgary where we get alot of snow sometime. Do you tink the springs you got at the dealership is too low for winter driving or should they be ok?
I have the lowering springs on my 4-door RS and I think they're the best thing I could have done. I love the look, the handling is a big improvement. It decreases the body roll a lot. I live in Ontario and I'm not too worried about the snowfall causing problems. I think unless your consistently driving in deep snow it won't be a problem. The Yaris sits somewhat high to begin with and the spring lower the car 30mm (1 1/4") so it really brings it down to the same if not a little lower than other cars.
chessclubloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessclubloser
I have the lowering springs on my 4-door RS and I think they're the best thing I could have done. I love the look, the handling is a big improvement. It decreases the body roll a lot. I live in Ontario and I'm not too worried about the snowfall causing problems. I think unless your consistently driving in deep snow it won't be a problem. The Yaris sits somewhat high to begin with and the spring lower the car 30mm (1 1/4") so it really brings it down to the same if not a little lower than other cars.
Good to know, as I'm thinking about doing it too. I LOVE MY NEW CAR!!!
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #11
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Other than TEIN, does anyone knows who make dampener kits for the Yaris? I called up TEIN USA, but they didn't have the kit for Yaris yet (that should be apparent, since the car is not yet released.), but I learned from the Japan site there is one for the Vitz available...

http://www.tein.co.jp/ti/comment/img/9l702.jpg (Type Wagon Damper)

http://www.tein.co.jp/ti/comment/cl70.html (Other dampers)
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #12
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
One word on TRD springs. A misconception that they are the same as the Eibach prokit is wrong. Eibach may be producing them but they will not be the same as the prokit. There will be variations to the spring rate etc and TRD do test each spring to how they design them to suit each car. Not to what Eibach says. They are a mear manufacturing plant which many cars are made from components from different companies and then badged Toyota.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #13
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
One word on TRD springs. A misconception that they are the same as the Eibach prokit is wrong. Eibach may be producing them but they will not be the same as the prokit. There will be variations to the spring rate etc and TRD do test each spring to how they design them to suit each car. Not to what Eibach says. They are a mear manufacturing plant which many cars are made from components from different companies and then badged Toyota.
My dealer installed lowering springs were indeed Eibach Pro-Kit, with all the supporting documentation from Eibach, not TRD...
Old 03-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #14
SmellyTofu
好多人&

So therefore you did not get TRD springs but I wasn't really referring to you specifically. Just a passing comment. TCI would not be putting up the warranty unless TCI has supplier branded items as an official thing. The warranty would be with the dealership itself.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #15
roundysquare

Drives: scion xb
If you swap out just the stock springs for lowering springs will the stock strut and shocks fail sooner? They are running constantly compressed 1.25"-1.75" more than normal....I'm new to this tuning stuff. Thanks
roundysquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:07 AM   #16
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Yes and no. It depends on the design of the standard shocks but in order to get the best handling, do both springs and shocks. Doing springs alone give the effect of worn shocks leaving very little spring control.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #17
sumik

Drives: '06 Scion Xb
There's a big misunderstaning here with the springs.
Springs are indeed manufactured by eibach but I guess they just make em, they didn't desing them.
If u actually go on Eibach website u won't see any Yaris springsm which means they just manufactured them for the delerships.
Eibach is one of the best spring manufacturers, better for sure than Tien, but i'd rather wait for an actuall spring set made for performance and not for springs desinged for Toyota so they will keep your warranty, and not make a drastic change that will improve the car a lot but make wear and tear faster on suspension.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:50 AM   #18
SmellyTofu
好多人&

TRD Sportivo suspension kit is not hardcore but a balance between comfort for everyday driving and street performance. (btw, TRD does do spring and shock combinations as one package). It you want less comfort and can live with harsh ride on sedate trips to your local shops down the road, then TRD Sportivo bits aren't for you.