Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-28-2006, 06:51 AM   #19
Bidoup

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 3dr BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Yes, this makes good sense to me. A very reasonable decision in your case.
It is somewhat like people who mortgage their homes usually buy a life insurance policy for the term of the mortgage.
Prudent financial management! That is, if the price of the extended warranty does not bother you.
Not at all... and it comes with the roadside assistance and 4 oil changes not so bad for 899$ CAN
Bidoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #20
seriousfun

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback Black
I've sold a lot of extended warranties in my time, but I have purchased very few.

Statistically, you are better off to put the money in even a savings account than purchasing the extended warranty on a car. Most major repairs (engine, transmission, suspension replacement, etc.) either happen within the warranty period (rare these days) or far after any warranty has expired.

I did buy the bridge coverage with my financing - my credit union will pay full value for the car if it's totalled for the life of the loan (actually more likely, statistically, than major repairs during this time period).

The extended warranty is pure profit for the dealer, and the salesperson/finance manager at the dealership get a nice spiff ($$$) when they close you on the warranty.

FWIW
seriousfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #21
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I asked my dealer and he said that as long as the car is under the factory bumper to bumper you still have the option to buy the extended warranty. Is this common?
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #22
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaad32
I asked my dealer and he said that as long as the car is under the factory bumper to bumper you still have the option to buy the extended warranty. Is this common?
If I understand the extended warranty flyer/brochure correctly, this is true with Toyota cars. You will have to pay more if you do not purchase it at the beginning though.
The terms of the extended warranty are, I assume, engineered to give the seller some profit. Therefore, only those who find the "insurance" that it provides really useful, considering their individual circumstances, and those who really need that extra peace of mind will find it attractive.
For instance, in Bidoup's case above, I can understand why he has decided to have it.

Last edited by swng; 07-28-2006 at 06:08 PM.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #23
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I was told that if there is NO claim made within my 6yr. 100,000 mile extended, that I will get the FULL amount back, that the extended warrenty cost me.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:06 PM   #24
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Thanks for the information. I have not heard about that before. However, if a full refund (subject to there being no claim) is possible, that would be a tempting deal to me.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:12 AM   #25
Jola1

Drives: 06 Yaris 3dr YRX
Got the dealership to add the extended 6 year warranty as an 'incentive' as I had decided to take some upgrades.....if they threw in the warranty.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #26
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Yes Chris, They told me that too.
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:13 PM   #27
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaad32
Yes Chris, They told me that too.
Hopefully Ill never have to use it.. not because of the kick back, but I'd miss my Yaris too much!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:05 PM   #28
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
UK Warranty

Warranty

Three year / 60,000 mile mechanical warranty
Three year unlimited mileage paint warranty
Six year unlimited mileage anti corrosion perforation warranty
Twelve year unlimited mileage anti corrosion perforation warranty
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #29
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
I didn't buy one, but I had a 7/100K, no deductible Fidelity warranty thrown into the deal. Fidelity is owned by JM&A- read Jim Moran, owner of the SE USA Toyota Distributing Group. Working in service, I know that Fidelity is a great warranty. Coverage is very comparable to factory (imagine that!). I put 30k miles a year on my cars, so the extended warranty is a must. Besides, even with a Toyota, you never know- I make my living (and a very good one) on broken Lexus cars, both in and out of warranty.

I bought gap because, well, honestly if you don't, you are taking a huge gamble- $10 a month could save you thousands out of pocket the day after you buy the car. I would go so far as to say that not buying gap is foolish. Once again, you never know!
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #30
tomjasz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
I didn't buy one, but I had a 7/100K, no deductible Fidelity warranty thrown into the deal. Fidelity is owned by JM&A- read Jim Moran, owner of the SE USA Toyota Distributing Group. Working in service, I know that Fidelity is a great warranty. Coverage is very comparable to factory (imagine that!). I put 30k miles a year on my cars, so the extended warranty is a must. Besides, even with a Toyota, you never know- I make my living (and a very good one) on broken Lexus cars, both in and out of warranty.

I bought gap because, well, honestly if you don't, you are taking a huge gamble- $10 a month could save you thousands out of pocket the day after you buy the car. I would go so far as to say that not buying gap is foolish. Once again, you never know!
Fidelity Warranty Services
Address:
P.O. Box 8567
Deerfield Beach Florida 33443
U.S.A.
Phone Number:
800-327-5172
Fax:

Hello, fellow victims of Fidelity Warranty, Inc.

My story is almost identical to most of yours, except that, as an attorney, I was able to get more information on this company and its practices. I want to let you know that the company is very worried right now.

I called them today regarding my warranty (my 2000 car was purchased 6/14/2001 and has 81,211 miles on it) and I believed that I had purchased the 72 month or 100,000 mile warranty for $2,150.00, plus interest because I put it into the financing agreement.

I gathered some very interesting information as to how customers are treated. I was informed by two separate claims epresentatives that Fidelity is a servicing agent for the dealership. This is false as a matter of law. The dealership is merely an agent of Fidelity.

I explained to the third claims representative that the opposite was true as a matter of law. I was then instructed to submit my "request for resolution," which I did in a letter and I attached 8 pages of Exhibits. When I reached the manager of claims administration, Mark Woodard, he told me that because I am an attorney, the matter would be sent to the legal department and I would receive a respose to my proposed settlement in 10 days.

I had proposed a settlement for one half of the warranty work required. (The warranty work needed is approximately $2,000.00 and my deductible is $100.00.) I believe that this company can be made to address its misconduct.

I am not prepared to start a class action at this time, but I would urge you to send letters to Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc.

Attention: Mark Woodard in the format which I have created.

I am pasting a draft letter below:

DATE

FIDELITY WARRANTY SERVICES, INC.
Attn: Administration-Mark
VIA FACSIMILE at 954-420-3215

RE: (YOUR) Contract Number XXXXXX
(YOUR) VIN #

Dear Mark:
Please be advised that my (CAR/Make, Model and Year) is required warranty work at (YOUR CAR REPAIR COMPANY) My repair company was informed on DATE that my contract with you is “expired.” Please note that this vehicle was purchased on DATE.

I am forwarding the following documents to you:

1. The Warranty contract through DEALERSHIP, sales agent for your company.

2. My Carefree Car Protection contract.

3. Invoices for the warranty work which I required:
OPTIONAL LANGUAGE:
IF THIS IS TRUE, YOU MAY STATE "I was specifically told that I was receiving protection for 72 months or 100,000 miles from the date of the sale."
IF NOT, YOU MAY STATE what you requested from your dealer, what you believed at the time of purchase, etc. . . .

Fidelity Warranty, Inc. is responsible for the representations of your agent (YOUR DEALERSHIP).

I purchased a contract for 72 months or 100,000 miles from the date of the sale at a cost of (YOUR COST.)

I must insist that the contract be honored according to the terms represented to me. I AM ENCLOSING MY REPAIR INVOICE.

I expect that I will hear from you within 10 business days of the date of this FAX.

Very truly yours,
YOUR NAME

If you are interesting in joining together to pursue this company for its responsibilities, I will accept your e-mails until August 5, 2006, but will not be able to reply except in a mass e-mailing on or about August 15, 2006, so please note that you are waiving any attorney-client privilege with respect to the
use of your name in a mass e-mailing to others interested in pursuing Fidelity Warranty, Inc.
PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM ADMITTED TO PRACTICE LAW IN WISCONSIN.

Wendy alison
St. Paul, Minnesota
U.S.A.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:00 PM   #31
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjasz
Fidelity Warranty Services
Address:
P.O. Box 8567
Deerfield Beach Florida 33443
U.S.A.
Phone Number:
800-327-5172
Fax:

Hello, fellow victims of Fidelity Warranty, Inc.

My story is almost identical to most of yours, except that, as an attorney, I was able to get more information on this company and its practices. I want to let you know that the company is very worried right now.

I called them today regarding my warranty (my 2000 car was purchased 6/14/2001 and has 81,211 miles on it) and I believed that I had purchased the 72 month or 100,000 mile warranty for $2,150.00, plus interest because I put it into the financing agreement.

I gathered some very interesting information as to how customers are treated. I was informed by two separate claims epresentatives that Fidelity is a servicing agent for the dealership. This is false as a matter of law. The dealership is merely an agent of Fidelity.

I explained to the third claims representative that the opposite was true as a matter of law. I was then instructed to submit my "request for resolution," which I did in a letter and I attached 8 pages of Exhibits. When I reached the manager of claims administration, Mark Woodard, he told me that because I am an attorney, the matter would be sent to the legal department and I would receive a respose to my proposed settlement in 10 days.

I had proposed a settlement for one half of the warranty work required. (The warranty work needed is approximately $2,000.00 and my deductible is $100.00.) I believe that this company can be made to address its misconduct.

I am not prepared to start a class action at this time, but I would urge you to send letters to Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc.

Attention: Mark Woodard in the format which I have created.

I am pasting a draft letter below:

DATE

FIDELITY WARRANTY SERVICES, INC.
Attn: Administration-Mark
VIA FACSIMILE at 954-420-3215

RE: (YOUR) Contract Number XXXXXX
(YOUR) VIN #

Dear Mark:
Please be advised that my (CAR/Make, Model and Year) is required warranty work at (YOUR CAR REPAIR COMPANY) My repair company was informed on DATE that my contract with you is “expired.” Please note that this vehicle was purchased on DATE.

I am forwarding the following documents to you:

1. The Warranty contract through DEALERSHIP, sales agent for your company.

2. My Carefree Car Protection contract.

3. Invoices for the warranty work which I required:
OPTIONAL LANGUAGE:
IF THIS IS TRUE, YOU MAY STATE "I was specifically told that I was receiving protection for 72 months or 100,000 miles from the date of the sale."
IF NOT, YOU MAY STATE what you requested from your dealer, what you believed at the time of purchase, etc. . . .

Fidelity Warranty, Inc. is responsible for the representations of your agent (YOUR DEALERSHIP).

I purchased a contract for 72 months or 100,000 miles from the date of the sale at a cost of (YOUR COST.)

I must insist that the contract be honored according to the terms represented to me. I AM ENCLOSING MY REPAIR INVOICE.

I expect that I will hear from you within 10 business days of the date of this FAX.

Very truly yours,
YOUR NAME

If you are interesting in joining together to pursue this company for its responsibilities, I will accept your e-mails until August 5, 2006, but will not be able to reply except in a mass e-mailing on or about August 15, 2006, so please note that you are waiving any attorney-client privilege with respect to the
use of your name in a mass e-mailing to others interested in pursuing Fidelity Warranty, Inc.
PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM ADMITTED TO PRACTICE LAW IN WISCONSIN.

Wendy alison
St. Paul, Minnesota
U.S.A.
Any background on what I am reading? Were the concerned parties offered a settlement if there was a problem? What were the concerned parties trying to get reimbursement for? Was it a case of Fidelity not acknowledging a claim or a dealership failing to report the purchase of a warranty? When was this posted? Do you see what I am getting at here?

In the 3 years I have been calling in Fidelity claims on the behalf of my customers, I have yet to have one claim go anything but absolutely smooth. That's why I have one!
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 07:46 PM   #32
tomjasz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose
Any background on what I am reading? Were the concerned parties offered a settlement if there was a problem? What were the concerned parties trying to get reimbursement for? Was it a case of Fidelity not acknowledging a claim or a dealership failing to report the purchase of a warranty? When was this posted? Do you see what I am getting at here?

In the 3 years I have been calling in Fidelity claims on the behalf of my customers, I have yet to have one claim go anything but absolutely smooth. That's why I have one!

That's good to know, it's also worth noting that there are problems. Even if 95% of the problems are resolved, I'd hate to be in the minority. I've had three Toyota vehicles past 160,000 miles with NO problems. Perhaps 20 years in Las Vegas makes me a bit of a gambler. So far I'm ahead.....Thanks for the perspective.