Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-23-2006, 03:58 AM   #19
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
before i got my yaris and was on the hunt for a daily driver, i was determined to get an automatic, because it would be my daily traffic contestant. but when i drove the stick and auto back to back, and the auto had some trouble getting to speed on an on ramp i decided i HAD to get the stick. with as little power this thing has i dont need to be wasting it through an auto. the clutch is soooo much lighter than my cobra i've been driving the last few years that i hardly notice it being a pain. just my $.02
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #20
weaponrcamry

Drives: Camry LE/Yaris Hatch 5spd
stick vs. auto. Auto B-cause stop and go traffic, a better retail price when you sell it. But stick, shift at you own pace, if you want the extra single gas mileage, and a slight less value of the car. Dont no whatever suits you. :)
weaponrcamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #21
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Auto for me...
I have owned several standard trans cars/trucks but when it comes to city I prefer the automatics. At stop lights I often shift to neutral to save fuel and wear and tear on the transmission.
clutch replacement is not cheap or easy in the driveway at home and that's just one more thing to break down in heavy down town NY or highway traffic.

Like already noted the Yaris auto trans can be used to gear down or up shift much like a standard anyway so there is really no difference other then there is no clutch pedal to push.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:25 PM   #22
costaricandreams
Raggamuffin

Drives: Yaris Latchback 2007
If you ever need to get on the freeway where traffic is moving along faster than 60mph, the manual transmission is going to be your best friend. The motor is already small enough. Slap an automatic trans on it and you're gonna wish you had waited.
costaricandreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:39 PM   #23
oktaren

Drives: 07yarisliftback04aveohatchback
i love manuals, so obviously my opinion is biased. i commute to work everyday and drive in the city and love the manual in it, but i know alot of people would rather have the automatic. it really depends on whether you feel comfortable with it or not. i feel more comfortable driving a manual either way.
oktaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #24
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by costaricandreams
If you ever need to get on the freeway where traffic is moving along faster than 60mph, the manual transmission is going to be your best friend. The motor is already small enough. Slap an automatic trans on it and you're gonna wish you had waited.

With the auto you can just slap it over to third or even down to 2nd while accelerating onto an on ramp and pull away, then up shift just as you would with a manual..
true there is a loss of HP and torque with the auto but I would not say I'm disapointed at all in the automatics performance...
After driving every other auto and manual econobox out there the Yaris is still one of the best performing even with the auto
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #25
SEaton

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I kinda like shifting in traffic (and everywhere else), Get the Manual, it will be worth the wait
Old 07-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #26
bulldogs2k

Drives: '00 s2000, 2007 yaris hatch
i love the auto in traffic, although I sometimes wish I got the Stick.
bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #27
seriousfun

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback Black
Driving everyday on the L. A. freeways, I chose Auto. I thought hard about a stick (my last stick was an '86 Celica, and I loved it), I just couldn't go there.

I polled four mechanics who would be getting none of my business for a while, and they independently agreed that manual transmissions (especially on cheaper cars) are old technology and there will be a point in time soon where automatic transmissions are easier and cheaper to repair.

The Yaris auto lever is just made for that downshift from D3 to 2, for onramps, and passing SUVs!
seriousfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:34 PM   #28
Toddhata

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback, 00 Boxster
Send a message via AIM to Toddhata Send a message via Yahoo to Toddhata
I sold my 05 Corolla because it was manual, and no power package. Put 14k miles on it in 8 months, and sold it for what I paid and bought my Yaris in auto with the power package. Too much driving in LA traffic, really sucks shifting in traffic here.
Toddhata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:25 PM   #29
rstb88

Drives: Silver Hatchback
In high traffic and sitting around, stuff like that and stop go. I went auto cause thats all my area is. And its a small sprite compared to LA. But seriously consider a transmission cooler from BMRacing. Cause its gonna burn up quick out in that heat with the stop and go. plus it running cooler has some added benefits.longer life span ftw. but get a small one cause the climates changing (can get too cold for the tranny)and here in TN its like a freaking desert. Its hot and humid as hell in the day and cold at night.

rstb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #30
bulldogs2k

Drives: '00 s2000, 2007 yaris hatch
I dont even drive my s2000 because its stick. unless i'm feeling the need for spirited driving, then i will take her out. Once i get a suspension package on the yaris, then it might be a difficult choice. Both cars are fun, and with a proper setup, they both feel like GoKarts.
A
bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:46 AM   #31
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaad32
The Auto in the city is a must have in my opinion. I hate shifting through traffic.
Amen brother!
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote