Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #19
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
the stock ride has a kind of "smooth" feeling - call this a comfort zone - that is immediately lost with every lowering springs. That said, I had the Tanabe NF's - 2.5K in front, they are somehow harsh of course, now figure out what could be two times that...

Here's a review of the basic coilovers, on a Acura TL:

"my feedback is based on a conservative drop, tight two finger gap in the front and a tight two finger gap in the back. I guess you could say a 1.25" gap all around.

Overall, I really enjoy this new set up. If your looking for a sportier feel and don't mind a little more bounce then this is for you. If you have kids and wanna keep a stock ride feel then this is NOT for you.

other than the drop, the biggest improvement with the tein basic coilover is the handling. I am not exxagerating when I say this but the car is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAR in terms of handling. It feels NOTHING like the former stock suspension, the "boatride" feel is gone, the "delay" in response is gone. You can change lanes quickly and you can make tight sharp turns (as if it was a civic), you can make round about free way on ramp, off ramp exits and entrances swiftly and quickly without any drag and delay. The feel of your calling falling off the road is now GONE.

The only drawback to the tein basic coilovers is the overall increase in "bounce". You will feel every bump and hump of the road and your car will re-act to it. if the road is smooth then it feels great but if the road is rough then you will feel it. I think the tein SS with adjustable damper can fix this issue.

Overall - I like it, the trade offs are totally worth it. If I knew the tein SS with adjustable damper would lessen the bounce then that would be my primary choice."
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:20 AM   #20
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I'd agree with the above review. I have the Super Compact coilovers on mine, which have adjustable damping. Overall, the ride is very rough compared to stock, but you can tweak it to be quite acceptable.
And yeah, although I don't remember too well how the car handled stock, it is really quite responsive now.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #21
ToTo

Drives: Toyota Yaris T SPORT
Thanks guys for the help!

I contacted Tein and this is some of what they had to say about the Tein Basic coilovers...

These kind of kits may seem a little harsh for the street, but with the matched dampers, it will not give you a bouncy ride.

Since the Basic kit comprises of a matched spring and damper setup, the ride quality will be a lot smoother than having to pair lowering springs with another brand performance damper. The ride will be stiffer, though, and many people not familiar with high performance suspension consider that as bouncy- it's just stiffer, not bouncy.

We also redesigned the dampers to maintain proper stroke length, even at low ride heights. So ride quality over uneven road surfaces can still be maintained.

I cannot guarantee that you will be happy with the ride as all
customers perceptions are different, but the intention of the kit
is for road use.

This means that some forgiving absorption is built into the
coilover.

So if the coilovers have matched damping in the shocks then the ride quality will not really be harsh, bouncy or uncomfortable?
Old 04-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #22
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Thats what I told you 2 weeks ago
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:14 AM   #23
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
how about tein springs on stock struts? ok idea or stupid idea?

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
drifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #24
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
tein coilovers
harsh: it will be, you will feel every imperfection on the road, and every bump will "hit" the car
bouncy: a little because the yaris HB it's a short car. sure less that the stock suspension whose shocks are of very poor quality, the stock suspension is very bouncy in my opinion
uncomfortable: it depends on you... have a seat on a F1 car then on a 67 caddy... not the same feeling
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #25
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifto View Post
how about tein springs on stock struts? ok idea or stupid idea?
they will be fine.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #26
TheBird

Drives: 1994 Honda Civic EJ1
Hello, new to the forum, but thought I might have some insight! I would steer clear of the S-techs. Your shocks will be gone within 10k. I have them on my Civic right now and a friend had them on a SW20 MR2. I would say get Tanabe, RSR, or any other spring other than super cheapos.

I dont know if they are available yet, but Koni Yellows and Ground Control sleeves would be killer on these cars.
TheBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #27
ToTo

Tein S-techs are super cheapos?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #28
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i don't think they are, they cost more than the Tanabe springs.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #29
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTo View Post
Tein S-techs are super cheapos?
S techs are fine. They are usually softer than most other aftermarket springs.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:21 AM   #30
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
the ones i have are rated at 3.0 kg in the front and 3.5 kg in the rear. isn't that stiffer than both Tanabe springs?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:09 PM   #31
TheBird

Drives: 1994 Honda Civic EJ1
I have heard good things about the Tanabe GF210s( I think that is what they are). I forgot to mention, Eibachs are awesome springs.
TheBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #32
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
I ran Eibach Pro-Kits and Koni yellows on my Civic. The ride was pretty good. I put over 75K miles on that setup, now my friend has the car. You will not find a stock ride out of a performance setup, of course why would you want it? You will always get the best ride from buying a pair of shocks that are matched with the springs. If/when I decide to upgrade my suspension I'm sticking to coilovers. I like the ability to raise and lower the car if need be. If you want to get really technical and have the resources you can adjust the corner weights and really get is dialed in.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #33
ToTo

Good info bro! So basically if Im getting the Tein Basic Damper coilover kit for the Yaris, which has shocks that are matched with the springs, then that will be the best ride I can get? It will be a decent ride then? I know it should be a bit harsher than stock, but not too bad?

I ordered my kit the other day...
Old 05-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #34
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Aslong as the shocks are valved for the springs you shouldn't have any problems with bounce. Of course, the fully adjustable SS would be better because you have a little more adjust ability to get them to match your driving style, but oh well. Don't be surprised, you will feel the bumps in the road. Especially if you run lower profile tires. Honestly though, I don't mind rough bumps near as much as body roll.

I made this mistake when I first put suspension on my civic. I went with a pair of Skunk2 coilover sleeves and Koni yellow shocks. What a mistake!!! The spring rate on the Skunks were to high and the Konis just couldn't keep up. After a few months I ditched them and went to the Eibachs. Ride quality was a million times better, but I always missed the ride height adjustment feature when I needed it.

A prime example of fantastically tuned suspension is the BMW. The ride is firm, but still very much performance oriented. The car begs to be whipped into corners.

Let us know how you like the Tein.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #35
ToTo

Finally, got the Tein Basic coileys fitted today along with a 4 wheel alignment! Wow, the coileys are really super and great all in all! Im really happy with the ride comfort, not at all stiff as I thought they would be, a lot of you guys with your inputs and opinions were right, thanks guys for all your help! I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking into purchasing a set of coilovers for the Yaris, great piece of kit for sure!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #36
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Cool! I'm glad you like them. That makes me want them even more now. I'm like you, I like a nice firm ride that is still comfortable. Did you take any pics?