Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
Vodalus

Drives: Black Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Auto vs. Stick in the city

Kinda dumb debate here, I know, but... getting a 5-spd 3-door liftback in black with the power package is next to impossible. Finding the same in an automatic is simple. I'm waiting on one now. But I still have time to pull the plug and do an allocation order for the same car in a 5 speed, it'll just take 10 weeks instead of two, time which I don't really have.

The question is, if you were doing mostly city driving in a place like Los Angeles, lots of stop-and-go rush hour traffic, wouldn't you prefer an automatic over a stick in a tiny little car with (no offense) a tiny underpowered engine anyway? I tend to like to drive cars like karts and usually prefer a stick, but I am about to just give up and take the auto because it's already here and ready to go, and because having the auto will be so much nicer in traffic.

My head is spinnning with indecision. Or maybe it's the beers... Any opinions?
Vodalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Auto for me. If you are driving mostly city/stop and go then auto is definitely the way to go. My beef is having to pay "extra" for auto as the car manuf. produce many more auto than manual. So it should be the manuals that cost extra, not the auto. But this is a way that the car manuf. can still get a profit.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
It is a personal preference. I still like a stick because an automatic is always trying to push the car forward, whereas a stick you don't always need to hold down the brake to be stopped.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
I drove mostly in the city also, having auto. Since it doesn't seems to save too much gas on stick, I would perfer auto in the city. Just lazy for the way I am.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:40 PM   #5
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
I have driven with both types of transmission. Forgive me for stating the obvious. Yet in favour of the auto, I wish to say that one driving an auto will not lose control completely. Some control is still allowed by the design of the Yaris' auto stick. For example, one can down shift form the 4th to the 3rd gear just by pushing the stick sideways. One can also limit the car's up- shifting by using the 3, 2, or L positions when necessary e.g. when engine braking is desired or when gear hunting occurs. After driving the auto for long enough, one will feel more at one with the car and gradually become able to know, predict, anticipate, preempt or prevent its actions (but admittedly only to a certain extent). By controlling the throttle, one can induce the car to select and/or stay in a desired gear.
Just my humble opinion. Of course, nothing compares with a manual when absolute control and ultimate fun is the goal. There should be be no argument on that .
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:22 AM   #6
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
i will never own another automatic, i hate them , they don't last as long, rob power and torque... and hurt fuel economy.... plus i just hate them... anyway, luckily i don't drive in downtown traffic all day everyday

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:45 AM   #7
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
I prefer the manual transmission, but i haven't driven the automatic so I can't truely judge. The manual has plenty of pep for me in stop-and-go traffic and city light-to-light sprints. if the yaris had a 5 speed auto like the Fit, i would probably be in favor..but I dunno.

Though, eight heads, i tend to agree with you on the loss of torque and (horse)power from automatics..i don't know if that's AS true now a days, especially since the automatic with Electronic throttle can be a bit more fuel effective in some ways (in contrast to a bad driver on a manual, for example).

But, I'm sure you'd be happy with the manual if that's you're usual preference, but only YOU can TRULY JUDGE and decide if one of them doesn't live up to your expectations..
Old 07-22-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
The Auto in the city is a must have in my opinion. I hate shifting through traffic.
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaad32
The Auto in the city is a must have in my opinion. I hate shifting through traffic.
Same here. But probably we are the minority.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
As much as a stick would be nice, especially for this car, seeing that you live or from LA, one of the worst (from what I've see and heard) places to drive and the constant stop and go traffic, get an auto, if your car is primarly for city driving...I think if you got a stick as cool as it would be you won't enjoy the full benifits of it, getting up to speed, going through the gears, I don't know, but you might not enjoy as much with constant or near constant traffic. If your driving downtown its nice to have an auto (no disrespect to hard core MT fans) but its a matter of what you want and willing to sacrifice for each.

You should write a list of pros and cons of each type of tranny, relative for you situation of course and see what you come up with, that might help. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-22-2006, 02:19 PM   #11
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I always preferred stick for the control. Several sports cars I owned didn’t even come with an auto (like my 1987 RX-7 Turbo).

After owning a 4WD SUV with a stick, I’d never get another stick again. Holding that clutch pedal down in traffic took way too much effort.

My last couple of cars have been automatic. I sit in too much traffic to get a manual again.

I would guess that resale on the Yaris would be easier with an automatic.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
I have drove 160k in the city doing sevice work in dallas texas in the 80's. It gets to the point where you don't even know you are shifting its just automatic. You get use to it.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #13
Chaad32

I agree with boxerboy on the fact that shifting gets to be second nature because I used to have a Ford escote GT that was a stick for my first car and I drove it through traffic for 3-4 years no probolem,....but.....seeing how I'm a little older now, I just don't want to fool around with it. Maby for a second car or something. But like I said earlier, I agree with boxerboy in a little way, because the kid in me wants to still have a little fun. The deciding factor was that this is afterall a comuter car for me, and ease of drivability means more that sport or speed (not to say I don't want to look good with some aftermarket cosmetic stuff). So it all boils down to personal prefference and what you bought the car for.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
swng

Stick shifting means fun, agility and flexibility but may no longer also mean better fuel economy. At least it is so for the Yaris and the Nissan Versa. Please see my latest post on the Fuel Economy Thread. Hehe, I am promoting that thread here .

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...3664#post13664
Old 07-22-2006, 05:31 PM   #15
Chaad32

I agree that it gets better gas mileage, but it is only 1 mpg more. I drive about 15,000 miles a year at say $3.00 a gallon. That means that it saves me a whole wopping $28.85 a year if you are doing the math from 39mpg to 40mpg. The comvience is worth $28.85 to me.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #16
Chaad32

Sory..I just read you thread....I agree with you swng.....it "no longer also means better fuel economy".
Old 07-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #17
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
If in city I would be going Auto....I live in the country....hence the stick

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:22 AM   #18
Billstein
Whew Who..

Drives: 2 Yaris Hatchs and Tacoma
Smile Kinda dumb

[QUOTE=Vodalus]Kinda dumb debate here, I know, but... getting a 5-spd 3-door liftback in black with the power package is next to impossible. Finding the same in an automatic is simple. Los Angeles, lots of stop-and-go rush hour traffic, wouldn't you prefer an automatic over a stick in a tiny little car with (no offense) a tiny underpowered engine anyway? I tend to like to drive cars like karts and usually prefer a stick

Dude you live in L.A. is there truly a question here?
Automatic
Billstein is offline   Reply With Quote