Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
nivanov

Drives: Yaris 2007 Sedan
Newbie question: installing new stereo

Hey everyone. Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I just cant seem to find an answer on these forums. I have a Yaris 2007, and the headunit looks like this:

http://www.autobytel.com/images/2007...a_Yaris_16.jpg

My understanding is that some models come with a head unit that looks like it was fit into a standard double DIN. However, as you can see on the picture, the plastic housing for the radio unit in my car is custom-fit for all the buttons and knobs. If I were to replace the radio with a better one, I'll need a plastic housing replacement that will leave a nice two-DIN opening in my dash once i remove the radio and change the housing. After that, I can mount any standard two-din component in there. Can you point me to a manufacturer/part number so I can accomplish this? So far, I can only find Metra kits, but they look like they only come with two triangular-shaped side holders.

Also, please confirm that my model of Yaris has two DINs.

THanks a lot!
nivanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
duck

Drives: 2007 Silver Sedan
from what i've read online the metra kit is the way to go as the only gap left by a double DIN radio is on the sides. I found a couple of metra kits with the same part number online so make sure you get the nicer looking one. I'm going to pay more to get it as circuit city and go out of my way but hopefully the look of completion will be worth it.

It's the Metra 95-8202 for Toyota by the way

PS I too have a 2007 yaris sedan. but like I said I haven't done anything yet, so take with a grain of salt

PPS my radio doesn't look anything like that but I assume the internal structure is the same.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
nivanov

Drives: Yaris 2007 Sedan
Hey, thanks for the reply! My main problem, however, is the panel itself, not the internal structure of the radio slot. Basically, I will remove the panel, remove the radio, hook up the new radio, but now the panel wont fit over it, since it doesnt have a standardized DIN opening. I'm looking for a panel that does.

I think i'll need both the Metra Kit and the panel, thanks for the metra part #
nivanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
d4w1

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
If you want to see how a Metra Kits looks like installed in a 2007 Yaris Hatchback.Visit my Garage. Look at the pic and see how my Double DIN Clarion is installed.
d4w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4w1 View Post
If you want to see how a Metra Kits looks like installed in a 2007 Yaris Hatchback.Visit my Garage. Look at the pic and see how my Double DIN Clarion is installed.
You didn't actually look at his picture... He has the the integrated deck! The deck kits only work if you got a 2DIN slot in your dask already.

nivanov you need to buy a whole new panel from the dealer. I think it costs about $70. Then you can use a Metra kit to put a 2 DIN deck in.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
phenylhydride

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to phenylhydride
earljail is right. I have the same dilemma: puchased the "power package" and have this integrated mp3 2 DIN HU. I purchased the panel from the dealer (didn't even try a yard because I knew I'd have no luck because the car is so new) for $84. With this panel you use the standard metra kit as ealjail said. You reuse the existing hazzard button/airbag indicator/odometer and clock control module and vents with this new panel. It sucks: you pay more to get something "nicer" and then have to pay a lot (~$100) more to upgrade it. Hope this helps.

Josh
phenylhydride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I'm looking to upgrade from the standard system too but I actually like the HU that is in it. I was thinking of replacing all speakers, putting some bump in da trunk and just adding amps. I'm sure that a new Alpine or something would sound better but is would the original be so bad?
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
phenylhydride

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to phenylhydride
Replacing the speakers would be a good idea because they don't seem so good, and would definitely blow without any difficulty with an amp. It doesn't appear that the factory HU has any preamp outputs, but if you get a good enough amp you can maybe keep the volume pretty low and do most of the driving with the amp. But yeah, the original is pretty bad (like most factory HUs) when it comes to bottom of the line RMS power and signal distortion at the high end. If you're really into the whole audio thing, I'd say the thing to do would be to swap the HU. One with the same mp3 CD-R/RW functionality with a decent internal MOSFET amp (and preamp outputs) are fairly cheap (look on ebay). If you have the power package with the integrated HU, you'll have to buy a new center finish panel for ~$84 as well as a standard mount (aka metra,etc.). Good luck!
phenylhydride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I was thinking of buying from Crutchfield because they send the mount, all wiring brackets and instructions with any stereo over $129.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
treppen

Drives: BRUTAL
I know this is old but this has help me out alot!! Thanks guys
Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #11
sedsberg

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Hi.
I have the same problem but in my 2007 Yaris the dash looks like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zgNlzJyODG...rissr_dash.jpg
The player is completely a part of the panel so theres no hole for the player. Does anyone know about an aftermaket panel that fits together with one of the adapters that's mentioned in this post?
sedsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:45 AM   #12
sedsberg

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Nevermind. Found the panels in a Toyota online parts catalogue. Quite expensive though. :( $275
sedsberg is offline   Reply With Quote