Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
monkeycoke12
2 Door Egg Driver

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Headlight sensor install

I ordered one of these the other day.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180819783598...ht_3249wt_1180

It's one of those auto turn on your headlights when it gets dark sensors. It also will leave your headlights on for 30 seconds after you've turn off your engine. There is a remote line too so you can trigger the headlights remotely if you'd like.

It's suppose to be an easy install and turns out its not that hard.

The instructions are in Chinese and "English".

The install is really quite simple.
Blue wires are for the headlights
Green wires are for the daytime run lights
Yellow is for ACC power
Red line is for constant power
Black is ground
Brown is for a remote line
White is for HIDs

Well I don't have stock HIDs and I'm not going to use the remote line.

I opened the steering column by removing the 3 screws holding it in place. This exposed the harness that has the switched lines for the headlights.

You can see where I tapped into the necessary lines to turn on the headlights. I Looked all over the internet to find a diagram of this harness but alas I ended up pulling out my voltage meter and tested the terminals inside this harness to see which ones when hot when I turned on the headlights. Not to hard it went quick.

Once I was all punched in I ran the sensor to the dash, stuck it in place and fired up the car.

Everything worked great.

If anyone wants more detailed photos or better instructions let me know. I'd be happy to share.

Ok after an evening of it install I've noticed 2 things:
1: The dash indicator doesn't turn on when the sensor turned on the lights (anyone know how to get that to work? I'm guessing I just need to bridge the switch to another wire)
2: The "headlights are still on" alarm sounds for the 30 seconds that the sensor keeps the lights on. (not a big deal)

I think I'm going to hell. When I'm given a compliment I'm torn between saying 'thank you' and 'I know'.
Monkeycoke12
Mods: Rims, tint, spoiler, Vitz emblems, power windows, power locks, Eiboch Pro-line springs, rear bumper guard, tow hitch, rear sway bar, vinyl decals, carbon fiber door handles, stubby antenna
Soon: aFe intake, HID fog lights, HIDs and projectors
monkeycoke12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The blue wire on the left side, next to the tapped white, needs to be grounded to turn on the headlight indicator.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
monkeycoke12
2 Door Egg Driver

Do I ground it or bridge it to the switch wire from the kit?

I think I'm going to hell. When I'm given a compliment I'm torn between saying 'thank you' and 'I know'.
Monkeycoke12
Mods: Rims, tint, spoiler, Vitz emblems, power windows, power locks, Eiboch Pro-line springs, rear bumper guard, tow hitch, rear sway bar, vinyl decals, carbon fiber door handles, stubby antenna
Old 02-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeycoke12 View Post
Do I ground it or bridge it to the switch wire from the kit?
Ground it when the headlights are on. You should use a relay to keep it isolated from the headlight switching, since the indicator is powered by the ECU-B circuit and the headlights are powered by the H-LP circuits.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
monkeycoke12
2 Door Egg Driver

Perfect! Did the trick! Thanks!

Monkeycoke12
Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
biotope

Drives: VIOS (FL, 06 model)
Could anyone advise which wires (colour) of the headlights switch connector can be tapped for signal:

1. low beam
2. High beam
3. Ground
4. ACC

Same problem, unable to find any diagram from the internet for my Totoya Vios (06 model).

[img][/img]
biotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Red/Yellow - High Beam
Red/Light Blue - Low Beam
White/Black - Ground

ACC - Not on the headlight connector, but on the ignition switch connector - White/Light Blue
Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
biotope

Thanks CTScoot, I will try it out.

Btw, I thought I saw 2 x White/Blue wires on the ignition switch connector (extreme left and right) ? Need to open the steering column to confirm again.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by biotope View Post
Thanks CTScoot, I will try it out.

Btw, I thought I saw 2 x White/Blue wires on the ignition switch connector (extreme left and right) ? Need to open the steering column to confirm again.
OK - I see that. Pin #1 is the constant power feed (and is also white/blue). You want the wire in pin #3, which is ACC. The connector has six pins, so 1 and 3 are on opposite sides, like you said. ACC (pin3) is the one that has a black/red wire beneath it (pin 6).
Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
BTW, does anyone know after I install HID, the highbeam indicator on the dash is gone, is it possible to get it back?
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
BTW, does anyone know after I install HID, the highbeam indicator on the dash is gone, is it possible to get it back?
Do a little searching. There is a thread where I documented how and where to connect to the indicator light on the cluster to make the indicator work.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
biotope

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Red/Yellow - High Beam
Red/Light Blue - Low Beam
White/Black - Ground

ACC - Not on the headlight connector, but on the ignition switch connector - White/Light Blue
Measured the voltage between high beam / low beam signals and ground, both are at 12v even the headlights switch is in off position. Is this correct? My thought is they will only at 12v when I turn on the headlights?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Measured the voltage between high beam / low beam signals and ground, both are at 12v even the headlights switch is in off position. Is this correct? My thought is they will only at 12v when I turn on the headlights?
That is correct. The ground, not the +voltage, is switched. There is one common wire to both the high and low beam that is always powered and then they each have another separate leg that gets grounded to turn that beam on.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
biotope

Quote:
That is correct. The ground, not the +voltage, is switched. There is one common wire to both the high and low beam that is always powered and then they each have another separate leg that gets grounded to turn that beam on.
I see...

Possible to help me to confirm on the wiring of the autolight sensor that I brought?

1. Red - to connect to ACC (White/Light Blue)

2. Green - to connect to headlight low beam (Red/Light Blue)

3. Blue - to connect to ??

4. Ground 1 and Ground 2 - to Ground (White/Black)

Old 06-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
Quote:
Do a little searching. There is a thread where I documented how and where to connect to the indicator light on the cluster to make the indicator work.
I spent half an hour and searched 30 or so threads, only so far found the one with the resistor mod, and the other one claiming there is a thread made by you, the work is done with the cluster and is simple as just a wire. But I cannot find that thread you made?

Also I searched the DIY compliation section and did a search on your ID for threads you created, couldn't find anything about HID high beam tutorial.

Do you possibly know the title of it I can search further?

Thanks
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #16
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Slightly off topic, but great find, thanks for posting!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
I spent half an hour and searched 30 or so threads, only so far found the one with the resistor mod, and the other one claiming there is a thread made by you, the work is done with the cluster and is simple as just a wire. But I cannot find that thread you made?

Also I searched the DIY compliation section and did a search on your ID for threads you created, couldn't find anything about HID high beam tutorial.

Do you possibly know the title of it I can search further?

Thanks
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...36&postcount=7
Old 06-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I see...

Possible to help me to confirm on the wiring of the autolight sensor that I brought?

1. Red - to connect to ACC (White/Light Blue)

2. Green - to connect to headlight low beam (Red/Light Blue)

3. Blue - to connect to ??

4. Ground 1 and Ground 2 - to Ground (White/Black)

That is a tricky diagram to follow unless you can read the language. The green and blue do seem to be the low beam (green) and high beam (blue) connections.

So:

Green to Red/light blue

Blue to Red/yellow