Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
japle

Drives: Vitz S 2007 LB
1NZ-FE ECU

how many types of ECU are there for our engines? for what i know, japanese ecus, thailand, european and american ecus are all different... can anymone shed some light on this?
japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There are very many. For the US market alone there are over 20 separate part numbers. The variations for our market include different features (ABS, traction control, transmission type) and regional differences (US, Canada, Puerto Rico and Mexico specific ECMs).
Old 02-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Is there any benifit to run say a jdm one?

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Is there any benifit to run say a jdm one?
No, if your state does emissions testing, as the JDM ones don't speak OBDII.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
japle

Mine is an obd2.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
japle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There are very many. For the US market alone there are over 20 separate part numbers. The variations for our market include different features (ABS, traction control, transmission type) and regional differences (US, Canada, Puerto Rico and Mexico specific ECMs).
If there are that many, which ones are tuneable? Which ones are the best for our cars? My country uses ron 95 and 97 for petrol, so i will need a rechipable ecu, but my guy says mine is not programable.

Either i get one new chipable ecu, or i have to rely on emanage. Which i have no idea what can emanage control
Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by japle View Post
If there are that many, which ones are tuneable? Which ones are the best for our cars? My country uses ron 95 and 97 for petrol, so i will need a rechipable ecu, but my guy says mine is not programable.

Either i get one new chipable ecu, or i have to rely on emanage. Which i have no idea what can emanage control
None are tuneable oe programmable at this point, as Toyota is very secretive with their ECM programming. The best one for your car is the one that goes with your car, as using one from a different area will typically result in problems, as for example, if you put a US market one in your car the check engine light would always be on, because your car does not have the same evaporative emissions system as ours does.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
A Megasquirt *might* be a possible alternative - however, it's a huge lot of work, as you'll have to let it emulate the former ECU in order to satisfy e.g. ABS and the tachometer.
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ You'd be better off with a full standalone like AEM EMS or similar. I don't think a Megasquirt has nearly enough functionality to replace the stock ECU.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
japle

What about emanage?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
thefalls

Drives: Axio GT
Well,emanage ultimate is good but coming from someone in Japan,who is running a forged setup with emanage ultimate,the main issue he had was,running rich [no matter what] top end. But he is very secretive about what mod he did to sort out this issue. :(

What kind of setup do you have?

If you are running only 0.5 bar pressure,like on the stock TRD boosted engine [1nz] then the stock TRD Ecu is good enough.
thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
japle

Well, the mods i have right now is just minimal. K&n dropin, lighten crank pulley, 421 exhaust manifold, doing the 1zz tb today... thats about it, because its an auto..... what else can i do ti it?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #13
speed1

Drives: vitz rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ You'd be better off with a full standalone like AEM EMS or similar. I don't think a Megasquirt has nearly enough functionality to replace the stock ECU.
Yes standalone is da dream but I mean I dunno.. 2 weeks ago emanage ultimate started to not spark.. then it died. I see piggy is ok maybe harness bad working.
Simply I reconnected stock denso ecu and I go. Very slow but I go. And I have all time to look and solve issue. Stock ecu is inside car so no prob to disconnect emanage harness and put toyota wiring. If I had standalone sure denso ecu rip home then if there's an electric problem engine does not start and car rip where it is.. mountains or seas.
BUT.. emanage is headache cause billions of menu and parameters and not all is working.. idle adjustment not working properly or it is too difficult to me to understand.. it is japanese.. it is weird. If I decided to go standalone I buy apexi power fc. Yes it is japanese, all that's electical is japanese, but it has toggle to easily map onboard and costs 1000usd not aem standalone 2000usd.
Why do Uu suggest aem? Is u official dealer? Do u provide all aftermarket support? Yes all of my temp e press gauges are aem working fine. Only egt probe lasted so short and I replaced with an other brand breaking after short and replaced with other brand 1 month ago. Then egt probe is short life.
speed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:33 PM   #14
nemoskull

Drives: yaris, versa, geo, sprint
well, megasquirt (last i checked) was mostly fuel injection and ignition timing. and maybe WBo2?
but the yaris has alot more its doing. not to mention the throttle by wire some cars have. its a PWM something signal that megasquirt is not able to work with.

i cant speak for anything else, and my knowledge of MS is outdated.
but the biggest problem will by the throttle body. throttle by wire is not something you want to mess with. not a lot is known on how they work/ how reliable they are with after market.
nemoskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #15
mario98c

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 09 STD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
well, megasquirt (last i checked) was mostly fuel injection and ignition timing. and maybe WBo2?
but the yaris has alot more its doing. not to mention the throttle by wire some cars have. its a PWM something signal that megasquirt is not able to work with.

i cant speak for anything else, and my knowledge of MS is outdated.
but the biggest problem will by the throttle body. throttle by wire is not something you want to mess with. not a lot is known on how they work/ how reliable they are with after market.
You can install the megasquirt in parallel with the stock ecu I think. The megasquirt controls fuel and timing and the stock ecu controls the other things like the dbw throttle, vvti, etc.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #16
Minion83
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Vios NCP150R
Smile Need Help for Toyota vios/ Yaris Sedan 1nz-fe NCP150R ECU Pinout Diagram

Hello Guys, i need help here for the Toyota vios / Yaris Sedan 2013 onward 1nz-fe NCP150R ECU Pinout Diagram.anyone know please email to Amin8391@hotmail.com. Thank you in advance.
Minion83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:47 AM   #17
Lgolas Imba
Nite Fury

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 1.5 S
hi guys i own a standard yaris. if i get a retuning to the ECU..whta will the nearest top speed that could be added ? just curious..currently i can go 200kilometer per hour...
Lgolas Imba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:48 AM   #18
Lgolas Imba
Nite Fury

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 1.5 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by japle View Post
Mine is an obd2.
hi bro i am fm KL too...
any yaris club you might know ?
Lgolas Imba is offline   Reply With Quote