Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Secondary Seat Belt

Hello fellow members,

I did a quick search and didn't find anything relating to this topic. I want to add a second lap belt for use at the auto-x. This appears to be a cheap mod to decrease lap times that is street class legal. Heres a link to the belt. The easiest place to mount it would be on top of the original seat belt or to make a bracket to mount the belt to the seat frame bolts. Maybe bolt it to the rear seat mounting bolts. The latter would seem to be a safer choice to not mess with oem safety features.

Feel free to share your thoughts

http://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Perfor...oint+seat+belt

http://www.seatbeltsplus.com/product/31800-60.html

http://www.jegs.com/i/Simpson/856/29004R/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/R.J.S.+Safety+...50502/10002/-1
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Either way should be fine. It would be interesting to see if that really helps to keep you planted.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
People run these all the time at our autocross events. Its for those who dont want the added weight of the harness bar with their 4-5 point harness'.

What they do is not mount it to anything. Just wrap it around your waist and the back of the drivers seat. All this is doing is keeping your ass planted into the seat so you don't slide left and right or have to use your elbows and knees to push off the door and center console. I used it a few times, but I switched to a Sparco bucket seat instead and use the OEM seat belt. You can still use the OEM with it. You really cant have enough straps, can you?

Also, I haven't been able to do this in my yaris, but here is a trick I see some people do.
-Before buckling up. Pull the seat belt all the way out till it gets to its limit and pull really hard on it. It will latch up and will do a ratchet sound when it starts to coil back up.
-Buckle it up and while keeping the tension on the belt, unbuckle it and start twisting the belt so it is getting a bit shorter from the buckle.
-Then, suck in a deep breathe and try to buckle it up. If too tight, unbuckle and untwist until your desired tension.

I have done it in a Mini Cooper a few times, but I haven't had to do it in my Yaris.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:40 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I got a passenger side seatbelt and mounted it on the drivers side so I can pull it out all the way and put it into "child seat locking mode". Then you just crank it back and you have a really tight belt that keeps you in.

Works exactly the same as the normal driver's side non-locking one. This is on my '05 though.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Ahh, thats probably why mine wouldnt do it also. I tried again this morning but no success. I will try the passenger side when I get home to confirm.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:08 PM   #6
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
So time to resurrect this thread haha. I've ended up just using the old auto x trick of "locking" the seatbelt by pulling on it quickly and then pulling the seat forward to simulate a good seatbelt. Work great and costs no time no money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #7
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_ View Post
So time to resurrect this thread haha. I've ended up just using the old auto x trick of "locking" the seatbelt by pulling on it quickly and then pulling the seat forward to simulate a good seatbelt. Work great and costs no time no money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.cg-lock.com/autocross.html
http://www.amazon.com/CG-Lock-CG001-.../dp/B004NY1DHS