Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2016, 11:47 PM   #1
azeeroth

Drives: '09 Yaris
Can I use a head unit from newer Toyota Hilux etc

I have a 2009 Yaris with a double din stock radio. No bluetooth, no reversing camera. But it has the steering wheel controls.

If I buy a stock head unit from a newer Toyota with Bluetooth and AV in for reversing camera etc, will it work? Will the steering wheel controls work? I'm ok with building a simple harness if required.

Does it have to be a Yaris, or would a double din from a hilux, camry, etc have the same interface to the steering wheel controls?

There are people selling the stock units cheap when they upgrade theirs, I don't need better sound I just want bluetooth and maybe a reversing cam connector, plus the steering wheel controls to still work. My wife likes the streamline of a stock radio so I'm happy to upgrade that way.
azeeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeeroth View Post
I have a 2009 Yaris with a double din stock radio. No bluetooth, no reversing camera. But it has the steering wheel controls.

If I buy a stock head unit from a newer Toyota with Bluetooth and AV in for reversing camera etc, will it work? Will the steering wheel controls work? I'm ok with building a simple harness if required.

Does it have to be a Yaris, or would a double din from a hilux, camry, etc have the same interface to the steering wheel controls?

There are people selling the stock units cheap when they upgrade theirs, I don't need better sound I just want bluetooth and maybe a reversing cam connector, plus the steering wheel controls to still work. My wife likes the streamline of a stock radio so I'm happy to upgrade that way.
It should work. Except probably the radio (not sat radio, just the normal one) since some higher end vehicles use an amplified antenna and onethat doesnt look like and doesnt plug in like a 3.5mm jack. It uses a pigtail harness. Better look at the back of the unit.

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
joell

Drives: 2013 Hatchback
Toyota uses the same connectors across almost all the models (except with ampified JBL audio.) so I think a OEM hilux Toyota 200mm size unit will fit nice.

Now the funtions you are interested (BT and reverse camera) maybe no were planned for your car, and some wiring will be missing from the main harness (like de reverse wire in my car).

If the steering connectors are the same, probably is just plug & play and there is no need for a SW interface, for the reverse camera if you use a non oem model it will need a something like the MetraAX-TOYCAM adapter to add one to the new oem headunit for video and power supply.
like jcboy says: Better look at the back of the unit and compare to the connectors in your car.
joell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
MatthewSanders
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by joell View Post
Toyota uses the same connectors across almost all the models (except with ampified JBL audio.) so I think a OEM hilux Toyota 200mm size unit will fit nice.

Now the funtions you are interested (BT and reverse camera) maybe no were planned for your car, and some wiring will be missing from the main harness (like de reverse wire in my car).

If the steering connectors are the same, probably is just plug & play and there is no need for a SW interface, for the reverse camera if you use a non oem model it will need a something like the MetraAX-TOYCAM adapter to add one to the new oem headunit for video and power supply.
like jcboy says: Better look at the back of the unit and compare to the connectors in your car.
That's right Metra adapter will do the job. As far as know if it's a double din radio, any aftermarket option will fit and new adapters should allow you to use the steering wheel controls. Car Stereo Installation 101 is pretty good article that covers the installation of the aftermarket unit, so it should be helpful for you!

Last edited by MatthewSanders; 11-21-2016 at 03:32 AM.
MatthewSanders is offline   Reply With Quote