Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #1
romram

Drives: yaris hatchback
replacement tires for 2010 2dr yaris

I will replace/buy new sets of tires soon.I'm still using the orig good year eagle tires for my 2010 Yaris. The OEM tires are horrible in all weather (dry/wet/etc....very slippery) I live in CT, just like now got 5-6 in. of snow. i want to buy all season tires but with better traction for snow. any recommendation?
romram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Yaris874

Drives: 07 yaris hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by romram View Post
I will replace/buy new sets of tires soon.I'm still using the orig good year eagle tires for my 2010 Yaris. The OEM tires are horrible in all weather (dry/wet/etc....very slippery) I live in CT, just like now got 5-6 in. of snow. i want to buy all season tires but with better traction for snow. any recommendation?
U better off buying snow tires

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Yaris874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #3
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris874 View Post
U better off buying snow tires

+1

Get snow tires for winter and summer tires for when it warms up above 5~7° C in the spring.

I have Michelin Defender for summer and the Gislaved Nordfrost for winter. They are excellent tires that will both perform very well even for the worst conditions (wet and slushy for the defender in fall/spring and warm and dry for the Nordfrost when we get those warm December and March days). Fuel consumption is superb, same for traction, noise, compound life, etc.

What you'll save by cheating out on tires will cost you back in gas and fender benders when you can't get good traction in winter and skids on rainy days.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:34 PM   #4
Yaris874

Or is a tire call nokia wrg3 or wrg2 is all season

Old 12-18-2016, 03:50 AM   #5
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
+1 snow tires. im in CT too.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:58 AM   #6
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris874 View Post
Or is a tire call nokia wrg3 or wrg2 is all season

There are not even decent all season tires for passenger cars ! When there is snow you just need good winter tyres ! Studded winter tyre is best option if those are legal there .. i use studless Nokian R2 which are develiped here in Finland !
Those are quite quiet and gives awesome traction on snowy surfaces and even on icy surfaces !
When it's wet ice then only grippy tyre is studded winter rally tyre ... and like you can imagine those are highly illegal and uncomfortable ... so when there is wet ice there is so slippery
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
Yaris874

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmoKekki View Post
There are not even decent all season tires for passenger cars ! When there is snow you just need good winter tyres ! Studded winter tyre is best option if those are legal there .. i use studless Nokian R2 which are develiped here in Finland !
Those are quite quiet and gives awesome traction on snowy surfaces and even on icy surfaces !
When it's wet ice then only grippy tyre is studded winter rally tyre ... and like you can imagine those are highly illegal and uncomfortable ... so when there is wet ice there is so slippery
Yea nokian are good I work in. A tire shop but nokian are $$$ here but the feedback is really good

Old 12-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
Yep ...
check out if you can have the price for R2 studless ...
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
save your cash and find a set of winter tires from Kijiji/craiglist that come on rims and are balanced. The rubber might only last you one or two years but then all you have to do is buy rubber. You now save about $100-$120 a year as you don't have to pay a garage to swap the rubber before and after the winter.

Now you don't have to worry about your all seasons not having deep enough tread for the winter (they're useless in winter anyways), use the all seasons in the non winter months and rotate them until they are really worn down. Then invest in a good set of summer tires and you'll actually be able to trust them in the rain.

I did that and I only have another couple years on my all season and I just have to cautious in the rain. They are very predictable on dry pavement when pushed in corners but they are horrendous in the wet if you want to drive even somewhat aggressive. I just drive smart in the rain and have had zero issues.

The tires you are eluding to are called "all weather", they are better than all season in the winter but are a trade off from both ends of the spectrum. They'll still be squirmy in the summer and wear down fast, and they will harden at higher temps then a true winter tire and they'll not perform as good as a true winter tire in the snow/ice. It will end up costing you in the long run.

Once you have 2 sets of tires on dedicated rims the cost is very minimal and the performance/safety is optimized. Take advantage of the fact that the Yaris can fit 14" rims because there are a plethora of cheap, used winter tire with rims on line.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
Yaris874

Jajaja I got mines in Craigslist trade my Samsung gear s2 for a brand new set off snows 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Old 12-19-2016, 10:50 PM   #11
romram

Drives: yaris hatchback
thanks for all the info/feedback.
i can only have a set for my car.
i don't have any storage for 2nd set of wheels.
so am looking forward to get all season tires.
just as i said, the OEM Goodyear eagle LS is horrible.
based on the specs, doesn't even offer a good tread life. really a waste of money.
am looking for a decent all season tires than can last longer and overall good for dry/wet/snow traction.
thanks alot!!!
romram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #12
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Any garage/dealer who does tire changes can store your spare tires for a fee. Personally I think it's irresponsible to drive in snowy conditions without a dedicated set of snow tires, because I don't think you or anyone else would like to get rear-ended on a steep downhill section with a stop sign at the bottom. Not an excuse.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:51 AM   #13
Yaris874

Quote:
Originally Posted by romram View Post
thanks for all the info/feedback.
i can only have a set for my car.
i don't have any storage for 2nd set of wheels.
so am looking forward to get all season tires.
just as i said, the OEM Goodyear eagle LS is horrible.
based on the specs, doesn't even offer a good tread life. really a waste of money.
am looking for a decent all season tires than can last longer and overall good for dry/wet/snow traction.
thanks alot!!!
Hey you should check Nokia tires they have one that is all seasons and I guess is pretty good I find out today which s the model and I hit you back up

Old 12-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
This is a very good all season choice that does well in snow and ice: General AltiMAX RT43

Rating: 8.3 Light Snow Traction / 7.7 Deep Snow Traction / 7.0 Ice Snow Traction

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=86TR5AMRT43
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:58 PM   #15
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Have a look at "All Weather" tires. They are OK year round, and have better snow capabilities than all-seasons. The Nokian WR G3 is probably the best known. I would go for the Nordman WR G2 (it's Nokian's WR G2 that was replaced by the G3).

Keep in mind there is no magic tire that will perform best in all conditions. If you are stuck with one tire set and need winter tires, the All-Weather seem a no-brainer as they are a decent compromise.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #16
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ Unlike the Nokian WRG2, the WRG3 gets pitiful reviews as a snow-tyre. Unfortunately, the WRG2, while excellent in the snow, is not a good choice as a fair weather highway tyre for the tiny Yaris; its tread design makes for lousy straight line tracking... something the Yaris suffers from when the "wrong" tyres are mounted.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #17
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I agree with Kimona. I would recommend going with directional winter tires over non directional or even asymmetrical. I used to have Michelin x-ice directional winters and they tracked very well in the yaris.

I now have Yokahamas (non directional) and they are a much better winter tire that the Michelin traction wise, but they are much more squirrelly on the highway especially with wind or grooved pavement.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #18
Yaris874

Look if u can find this Tire is the copy of nokian RG2 and I think is made in Germany plus is cheap