Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2017, 08:43 PM   #19
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
I would really be interested in this if it came to our shores, especially if there are some better color options on the table. I think Toyota should do something with the the older Yaris since the rebadged Mazda2 is now flooding the showrooms.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #20
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
I would really be interested in this if it came to our shores, especially if there are some better color options on the table.
Like yellow??
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:31 AM   #21
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
I also hope it comes here, if only to give the regular automotive journalists something to get excited about at Toyota. They're going to have an aneurysm if the regular Yaris keeps using the 1NZ-FE and 4-speed auto.

I'm not sold on the looks, but I have a hard time liking anything in white.
Hey the 1nz works well. Im always impressed of how fun mine runs...of course the manual helps, but I used to work at a shop that maintained a fleet of auto hatchies and we beat the hell out of them (sad thing is thats easier then how the couriers drove them, they treated them like bumper cars) and still sprightly for what they were.

If they come out with a factory yaris turbo here in the US id highly condsider getting one if the price is right and I can swing it. However I prefer sedans to hatchies

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #22
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Hey the 1nz works well. Im always impressed of how fun mine runs...of course the manual helps, but I used to work at a shop that maintained a fleet of auto hatchies and we beat the hell out of them (sad thing is thats easier then how the couriers drove them, they treated them like bumper cars) and still sprightly for what they were.
Absolutely, it's an amazing motor. I'm just saying that journalists love to rag on Toyota for using "old" tech, no matter if it works just as well or better than the competition. Reliability is not as easy to measure as 0-60 times, so they ignore that part.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:10 PM   #23
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Indeed.

As much as its "outdated" it still makes excellent torque and HP for the size and rev range...even tho its the better part of 20years old. Honda and Mazda 1.5s are newer and make simialr numbers

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #24
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
too bad on the front wheel drive. I know the Vitz in Japan at one point had awd, was hoping this would too.

I hope Toyota brings a few over here. Although they very well might end up being faster than the 86.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #25
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I doubt it will make it to the US mainly because of emissions.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:31 PM   #26
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I hope Toyota brings a few over here. Although they very well might end up being faster than the 86.
Nothing wrong with that, considering how the Yaris, in my books, if far more confortable and practical that the 86.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:08 AM   #27
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I doubt it will make it to the US mainly because of emissions.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e
Tough emissions regulations are pretty universal now in the developed world. So if it becomes available in Europe, Japan or Australia, it will also be good for USA and Canada. FYI Germany is on par with California when it comes to emissions regulations.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Last edited by tarkus; 01-16-2017 at 11:04 AM.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #28
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Probably wishful dreaming to think Toyota will ever bring a performance Yaris to the USA, but I bet it would be a hoot to drive as a daily driver.

Not of fan of the big Rally spoiler though - I would have to switch that out for the nicer, lower-key regular OEM hatch spoiler. Also not a fan of the crazy graphics on the car - just give me some nice solid colors to choose from. The front is still polarizing and familiar, and if you like the 2015-2017 then you will probably like it also (or hate it if you don't). I like the rear design a bit better than the 2015-2017, overall, but I wonder why everyone is on the kick to put those stupid/goofy black side cutouts (huge in some cases) on the rear/front bumpers of cars now.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 PM   #29
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Probably wishful dreaming to think Toyota will ever bring a performance Yaris to the USA, but I bet it would be a hoot to drive as a daily driver.

Not of fan of the big Rally spoiler though - I would have to switch that out for the nicer, lower-key regular OEM hatch spoiler. Also not a fan of the crazy graphics on the car - just give me some nice solid colors to choose from. The front is still polarizing and familiar, and if you like the 2015-2017 then you will probably like it also (or hate it if you don't). I like the rear design a bit better than the 2015-2017, overall, but I wonder why everyone is on the kick to put those stupid/goofy black side cutouts (huge in some cases) on the rear/front bumpers of cars now.
+1
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:23 AM   #30
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I wonder why everyone is on the kick to put those stupid/goofy black side cutouts (huge in some cases) on the rear/front bumpers of cars now.
Beats me.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #31
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Beats me.
At least the rear black plastic cutout housings on the newer Yaris pictured earlier in this thread aren't HUGE like the ugly cartoon ones on the latest CIVIC (front and back). They actually manage to still look decent and well-integrated into the overall rear design of the Yari.

I'm still miffed that Toyota didn't give the US version of the 2015 refresh the integrated rear reflectors that I have seen on the European version, so I had to meticulously DIY my own (version 2.0 picture below from a few months back, which I had to custom-cut myself from one-half of a larger/wider two-piece set I purchased online). I've noticed that cars in general stand out a lot more on my morning dark commute with the rear bumper reflectors, and wanted the extra visibility myself. I also much-prefer my 2.0 effort look better than my earlier DIY 1.0 effort (where they were a different shape, and twice as wide, pictured in another thread on YarisWorld somewhere).

Old 01-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #32
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Anything added to bumper from factory = more expensive to replace when you get rear-ended.

Put the money into the suspension and engine instead of on my rear end, I'll deal with flame stickers myself ;)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #33
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
2.0 doesn't look bad at all.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #34
Kalispel

I read somewhere that the Corolla would be getting a performance-enhanced hot-hatch in 2018/2019. Toyota is apparently trying to finally shake its boring/appliance image. The next-gen Camry is certainly looking like they are serious about it.