Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-11-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
8.9 Earthquake off the coast of JDM land ..ie Tsunami!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_...pan_earthquake.

Quote:
TOKYO – Japan was struck by a magnitude 8.9 earthquake off its northeastern coast Friday, unleashing a 13-foot (4-meter) tsunami that washed away cars and tore away buildings along the coast near the epicenter. There were reports of injuries in Tokyo.
In various locations along Japan's coast, TV footage showed massive damage from the tsunami, with dozens of cars, boats and even buildings being carried along by waters. A large ship swept away by the tsunami rammed directly into a breakwater in Kesennuma city in Miyagi prefecture, according to footage on public broadcaster NHK.
Officials were trying to assess damage, injuries and deaths from the quake but had no immediate details.
The quake that struck at 2:46 p.m. was followed by a series of powerful aftershocks, including a 7.4-magnitude one about 30 minutes later. The U.S. Geological Survey upgraded the strength of the first quake to a magnitude 8.9, while Japan's meteorological agency measured it at 7.9.
The meteorological agency issued a tsunami warning for the entire Pacific coast of Japan. NHK was warning those near the coast to get to safer ground.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii said a tsunami warning was in effect for Japan, Russia, Marcus Island and the Northern Marianas. A tsunami watch has been issued for Guam, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia and the U.S. state of Hawaii.
The quake struck at a depth of six miles (10 kilometers), about 80 miles (125 kilometers) off the eastern coast, the agency said. The area is 240 miles (380 kilometers) northeast of Tokyo.
In downtown Tokyo, large buildings shook violently and workers poured into the street for safety. TV footage showed a large building on fire and bellowing smoke in the Odaiba district of Tokyo.
In central Tokyo, trains were stopped and passengers walked along the tracks to platforms.
The ceiling in Kudan Kaikan, a large hall in Tokyo, collapsed, injuring an unknown number of people, NHK said.
Footage on NHK from their Sendai office showed employees stumbling around and books and papers crashing from desks. It also showed a glass shelter at a bus stop in Tokyo completely smashed by the quake and a weeping woman nearby being comforted by another woman.
Several quakes had hit the same region in recent days, including a 7.3 magnitude one on Wednesday.
Thirty minutes after the quake, tall buildings were still swaying in Tokyo and mobile phone networks were not working. Japan's Coast Guard has set up task force and officials are standing by for emergency contingencies, Coast Guard official Yosuke Oi said.
"I'm afraid we'll soon find out about damages, since the quake was so strong," he said
If you check out your news station, they're currently reporting a second Tsunami.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #2
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
its scary news....and i feel useless not being able to do anything from here.

trying to get in touch with people there...
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
just wait for the tsumami to hit hawaii and the western coasts of north america....weee!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
interesting factoid: the tsunami wave/swell travels as fast as the jets that cross the pacific (about 180mph/300kph)
Old 03-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
PK, the Tsunami itself is the energy of the quake, it doesn't translate back into ground activity. The majority of the energy is in the big wave that is formed just as the swells hit the shallow shelf of a coast.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
God be with the people of Japan and with the people that are on the path of this thing
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I have some friends in Japan...I'm still trying to get in touch. Definately, my thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese people.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
One of craziest things I've seen on the news. Hope they recover quickly.

Closer to home, Santa Cruz just got the tsunami. Boats in the harbor are all over the place. Avoid the beaches.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I don't know anyone in Japan, but my thoughts are with them. The videos are horrific. I wonder if this affected the Toyota plant(s) where the Yaris is built.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Toyota Shuts Some Export Plants After Big Quake Hits Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I wonder if this affected the Toyota plant(s) where the Yaris is built.
Yup. Almost specifically the Yaris interestingly enough.

Quote:
TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. have suspended production at plants in Japan today and were assessing damage after an 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast, triggering a tsunami and shaking buildings violently as far away as Tokyo.

The shutdown could affect exports to the United States of such cars as the Toyota Yaris sedan, the Scion XB and Scion XD, as well as the Honda Fit small car.

Toyota, the world's largest carmaker, said it evacuated workers from several factories in the quake zone. Toyota has two parts plants in northern Japan and it has 2 affiliates, Kanto Auto Works, Ltd. and Central Motors Co., that assemble small cars in the region.

The immediate status of those plants was still being evaluated, Toyota spokesman Dion Corbett said. "We are still trying to get information from them," he said.

Widespread Damage

The quake struck at 2:46 p.m. local time off the coast of Sendai north of the capital, the Japan Meteorological Agency said. The tremor also triggered a tsunami that flooded coastal areas. Television footage showed cars being washed down flood zones like toys and large capsized cargo ships tossed sideways and jumbled together and pushed inland.

Aftershocks, many strong, rocked the region for hours afterward.

Toyota is 1 of the few Japanese automakers with a large manufacturing presence in northern Japan, a region it wants to make a center for small car production. In January, its Central Motors subsidiary opened an new assembly plant just an hour's drive away from Sendai. That plant, with a capacity of 120,000 vehicles, makes the Yaris small car for export to the United States.

Toyota's Kanto Auto Works has another assembly plant in the neighboring prefecture of Iwate. That plant also makes small cars, including the Yaris sedan, the Scion XB and Scion XD for export. The Toyota parent company has two parts plants in the region as well.

"As for production from here out, we will make a decision after we get a handle on the situation," Corbett said, about when the northern plants would reopen.

Toyota plants near the company's headquarters in Toyota City, in central Japan, had resumed production as normal after brief shutdowns, Corbett said. There were no reports of injuries from those factories. Possible damage was still being assessed.

Honda and suppliers

Toyota was also confirming damage at its suppliers. Toyota Boshoku Corp. and Denso Corp., 2 of Toyota’s biggest parts makers, both reportedly suffered some plant damage.

Honda shut down 2 assembly plants immediately after the temblor, spokesman Keitaro Yamamoto said. Honda’s Suzuka plant in central Japan soon resumed production.

But the company’s Sayama plant, north of Tokyo and closer to the epicenter, remained shut down by late Friday evening. Yamamoto said Honda headquarters was having difficulty contacting its plants. The U.S.-bound Fit is among the cars produced at Sayama.

Yamamoto said the company was unsure when production would resume there.

At Honda’s r&d center in Tochigi prefecture, 1 person died and 30 were injured when the quake toppled a wall at the facility’s cafeteria. No other injuries were reported.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Terrible news.

They've closed all the beaches and the Great Highway in SF to keep people away from the waves but we should be OK.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Well my father in law is out there (US Marines) and we haven't had contact thus far, but I'm sure the boys are ok. Our prayers to all the ppl in Japan.
TRD sportivo springs,Tokico Blue Shock/Struts,TRD rear sway bar & front bar,Tanabe engine bar,MI hoses (red), MI engine cover,SRI intake,VIOS vent visors,VIOS foglights,VIOS tails (HELLA lights & the Series 5 too),VIOS radio,VIOS badge,VIOS grill,18 inch R-1 rims wrapped in nankang tires 215/35-18z,chrome handles,retrofited the headlights, SHARK body kit (VIOS), Coming soon projectors heads with LED strip, Custom seats, MI hood lifts,MI momo steering wheel, sound system :)
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
tomato
Super Moderator

+1 ^

don't worry just yet if you don't hear from ppl in a disaster area. You know the have no way of communicating so it'll take a while before you hear.

google has set up a people finder page for the people in Japan., if that helps any.

http://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/?lang=en
Old 03-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
i doubt it will be anything close to that in Japan, but still better safe than sorry. I hope peterpoop can outrun it in his turboed Yaris...now that would be an awesome movie
lmao. I was envisioning that in my head during all of this. I too was thinking that'd be quite a sight!

But on a serious note, this is one of the craziest things i've seen. So sad for the people of Japan. It's going to take forever to clean that up. I thank God that oahu was untouched and other places weren't affected nearly as bad as Japan was.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #15
tomato
Super Moderator

Another link, this one from PBS: Digital Tools to track the aftermath of Japan's tsunami

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know...-tsunami/7875/

for those of you who are interested
Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
This sucks.

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #17
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
This sucks.

Yes it does.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #18
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Wow that's a big loss. It's the Prius foult
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote