Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #1
rcvmini

Drives: 2009 Yaris HB
engine issues/problems

So I've had my 2009 auto hatchback for almost 2 years. The Yaris was running like a top with no problems. We have taken it on many road trips, camping trips etc.

Everything was fine untill my wife while stopped in a parking spot put the car into forward instead of reverse and instead of backing out of a parking stall ran the left side of the car up on a curb. It wasn't hard it and the only damage at the time was the front bumper popped out of the clips which I put back in.

Since then I have heard a clunking sound from the engine. It seems to come from the left side where the belts are but sounds like a metalic clunk clunk clunk.

The car still drives fine, I don't seem to feel any loss of power etc but today I got a check engine light. The fault code (using my $4 OBDII code bluetooth device and smart phone with "Torque" app) I got a P0335.

I also noticed errors in my acceleration graph while driving. I used the diagnostic mode and it seems everything else in the engine checks out. Here are some screen shots. I am bringing my Yaris in for recall fixes next week at the dealer but I'd like to know if I'm looking at a timing chain issue or something else. At first I thought the metal rattling/cluncking might be some lose metal plate that got bashed when the wife rode up on the curb.... but I guess its something in the engine.

If anyone has an idea whats going on please let me know.

rcvmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
A P033d is a crank position sensor issue. I'd start by checking that area of your engine bay, chances are the electrical connector got moved around.

That being said it isn't on the bottom of the engine and that still doesn't explain the noise you are hearing.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #3
rcvmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
A P033d is a crank position sensor issue. I'd start by checking that area of your engine bay, chances are the electrical connector got moved around.

That being said it isn't on the bottom of the engine and that still doesn't explain the noise you are hearing.
Ok thanks for that. yeah when she rode it up on the curb on the left side I am wondering if the whole frame of the egine mount got shaken up and something got missalinged.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The crank position sensor is on the left side of the car, so it may very well be that something got yanked or bent when she drove up on the curb. Pop the hood and take a peek on that side with a flashlight.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #5
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Make sure the oil pan isn't crushed in too. The crank position sensor is easy to break and sits right behind the pulley.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
tmontague

My mistake, I was thinking the camshaft position sensor. Yes the crankshaft sensor is located right beside crankpulley at the bottom of the right side of the car (left if facing the engine)

What side of the car got put up on the curb (from the orientation of sitting in the vehicle)?
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
rcvmini

Issue solved

Ok folks just wanted to update you all on what happened. I brought the car into my local shop to get an oil change and asked them to look and see if anything had been ripped lose when my wife rode the car up on the curb.

After having a look turned out the bit of clanking was because I was VERY low on oil.... the vibration was causing the sensor to fault sometimes but they pushed it back in tight

The oil light never turned on but my shop said I should be checking it every month at least.....

So with the oil change (no charge for checking anything out) I now have my car back running smooth.

Lesson learned.... CHECK YOUR OIL and FLUIDS manually.... Don't rely on the oil warning lights.

p.s. Spraybombing your rims black makes it easier to fix it when your wife CONSTANTLY curbs your rims....

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
The oil light is a pressure sensor. It does not tell you you're low on oil. It tells you you have low oil pressure most likely because there's NO oil and you motor is now scrap.

Sent from my iPod Touch
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
rcvmini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
The oil light is a pressure sensor. It does not tell you you're low on oil. It tells you you have low oil pressure most likely because there's NO oil and you motor is now scrap.

Sent from my iPod Touch
Thanks for the info the the oil light. There was oil in it just a low amount. My engine seems to be doing fine now so I hope that short period of low oil didn't hurt the poor yaris too much
Old 08-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcvmini View Post
Thanks for the info the the oil light. There was oil in it just a low amount. My engine seems to be doing fine now so I hope that short period of low oil didn't hurt the poor yaris too much
I had this happen last summer in my blue Yaris.I pulled off onto the shoulder, called AAA, and had them tow me to the nearest gas station/convenience store (much quieter than the interstate). I asked the grizzled tow truck driver if he thought it was possible that my engine didn't suffer any damage. He said try starting the car. I started the car, and he listened to the engine. Then he said "your engine is fine, just add oil". I waited for the oil to drain back down, measured with the dip stick. I bought two quarts and added them. The light 'turned' off, and the engine performed a-okay after that.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #11
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcvmini View Post

well it is obvious you need to be diligent in your preventive maintenance from now on.
In other words.....DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE NEAR THAT CAR!
JK of course...
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:10 PM   #12
tmontague

Check the fluids consistently regardless of how new or old your engine is. It will also let you know what kind of shape your engine is in.

I tend to check my fluids every time I pop the hood, which tends to be every couple weeks. Coolant is another thing that gets low over time and should be checked out occasionally.

Those idiot lights are useless. I'm installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge next summer for that reason alone (and partially because I want to learn how to do it