Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Mr.Yaris

Drives: 2007 "Flint Mica" S-Type
Performance mods that won't affect/will hardly affect gas mileage??

I'm just curious to hear from those with personal experience. I'm a performance enthusiast, but I must admit, I want to keep my gas mileage, as that is what I bought my Yaris S-Type for. I also own a 1993 Camaro Z28 w/ ~450hp, so I don't plan to modify my Yaris S-Type with anything too extreme, because as I said before, gas mileage is important. I know some mods shouldn't affect gas mileage, and could, in fact, possibly improve it. When I started modding my Camaro many years ago, the first mods were simple bolt-ons: headers, exhaust, cold air induction, etc. These mods seemed to not affect my mileage at all, and in fact, since it helped the engine breath easier and run more efficiently, my gas mileage actually IMPROVED.

So my question is, what can I do, in terms of mods, for my S-Type sedan that will improve performance but won't affect gas mileage??
Mr.Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Same stuff- Lightweight pulley, CAI, lighter wheels... I think once you get to exhaust, stay cat-back or I would imagine you'll lean out the engine too much and start losing performance without adjusting your air-fuel mixture in the injectors and then you are richening it, using more gas and defeating your purpose.

Also, lowering springs will look great, are inexpensive and slightly improve aerodynamics.

I have 205/17's, but am still getting great mileage, but I shopped hard for inexpensive, lightweight wheels.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Mr.Yaris

Ok, thanks, now my next question, where's the best place to get all that stuff? I'm having trouble finding sites that carry much, performance parts-wise, for the Yaris, namely the Sedan...
Old 05-25-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Mr.Yaris

Also, could you tell me which of these parts will/will not void the warranty? Am I limited to sticking exclusively with TRD performance parts until the warranty is up??
Old 05-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
PolrWht07
Building my Yaris

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan
ebayebayebayebayebayebayebay
PolrWht07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:38 AM   #6
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
www.NonStopTuning.com is a good place to start.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:49 AM   #7
fu_im_from_texas

Drives: Liftback
Send a message via AIM to fu_im_from_texas
Thumbs up use venders that support the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Yaris View Post
...where's the best place to get all that stuff? ...
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

All of these venders help support the site...choose from one of them...check out the sticky at the top first...
fu_im_from_texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:57 AM   #8
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
yeah, that's a cool sticky.....pretty sexy too if i might add....
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I think CAI's reduce fuel economy, though not by much. The whole idea is to add colder air, which causes the injectors to use slightly more fuel (because gas doesn't atomize well in colder temps), thus an increase in power.

A short ram intake, on the other hand, will allow the engine to breath easier than the CAI (less pipe to travel through, thus less drag), without requiring more fuel. Not as powerful as a CAI, but great throttle response (supposedly).

A lot of people swear their CAI gets better mileage, better low end, and better top end all at once, but I'm pretty sure that's all in their heads. If it was such an improvement in every respect, I'm pretty sure the car manufacturers would have picked up on it by now and it would be standard tech.

~YR
Old 06-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #10
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Performance mods come in different flavors. One you may not have considered is a solar trickle charger, which also helps FE.

By keeping the battery topped off during the day and then continually contributing to its charge level while running around, even just in a minute amount, is that much less time the alternator needs to place a load on the engine every day.

Any energy not used by the alternator is that much more of the "natural" energy the engine produces that is available to you, and you are saving fuel because the engine doesn't have so much of an external load on it.

Another mod that becomes a performance mod by proxy is an engine block heater (EBH), which also makes a noticeably positive impact on FE.

How this becomes a performance mod is in its engine protection. Once you start using an EBH it's a rare day that you perform a "cold start", which is hard on an engine regardless of what oil or additives are used. By keeping the engine healthier and happier it will keep putting out at 100% for much longer.

This also saves lots of fuel because the days of the ECU/engine running extra rich at extra high RPM in a race to get the fluids and emissions system warm after a cold start will be gone.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
WeSellCarParts

Drives: All Brands
Send a message via AIM to WeSellCarParts
Check with your YarisWorld Vendors! We keep the site going by paying big bucks to keep you guys around so help us out a little bit :)
WeSellCarParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:30 AM   #12
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Performance mods come in different flavors. One you may not have considered is a solar trickle charger, which also helps FE.

By keeping the battery topped off during the day and then continually contributing to its charge level while running around, even just in a minute amount, is that much less time the alternator needs to place a load on the engine every day.

Any energy not used by the alternator is that much more of the "natural" energy the engine produces that is available to you, and you are saving fuel because the engine doesn't have so much of an external load on it.

Another mod that becomes a performance mod by proxy is an engine block heater (EBH), which also makes a noticeably positive impact on FE.

How this becomes a performance mod is in its engine protection. Once you start using an EBH it's a rare day that you perform a "cold start", which is hard on an engine regardless of what oil or additives are used. By keeping the engine healthier and happier it will keep putting out at 100% for much longer.

This also saves lots of fuel because the days of the ECU/engine running extra rich at extra high RPM in a race to get the fluids and emissions system warm after a cold start will be gone.
Where might one go to find all these products you have listed?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #13
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
yea im intrigued by an "engine block heater" anything thats healthy for the engine is ay ok....
Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #14
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
You can find these things in the mods section of my Fuel Efficiency post:

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showpos...90&postcount=5

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:57 PM   #15
Silver Streak S

Drives: 2007 Silver Yaris S Sedan
Engine block heater

How do you use or install and engine block heater?
Silver Streak S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:32 AM   #16
Shijima

Drives: 07 HB
It comes on EVERY vehicle in canada.

But a dealer should be able to install it for you for less than $150 including the part.
Shijima is offline   Reply With Quote