Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2015, 06:31 AM   #91
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
How many people are seriously interested in having a 2zr swap dealer? Should I write up a estimate with itemized costs including labor times, parts, fluids, warranty & legal stipulations, ect.?

Or are most of you just interested in the information from a diy?
For someone in an emissions testing state, I would think there would be some demand (maybe 1-2 a year) for a properly vetted and compliant install. For the rest of us, I think there would be more interest in documentation of the install. I'm not sure there's much commercial viability in selling "plans" for the swap, since a single PDF on the net will all but kill any chance of controlling distribution.

For a similar business model, there's a chap in the UK that does MR2 engine swaps. He offers everything from just the mounting brackets, up to a full turnkey solution from a donor vehicle/clip. It's not cheap, but there seems to be enough interest in it to keep him afloat for the last 10 years or so. Granted, the MR2 is a sports car with some pedigree, and a conservative swap nets you ~100 whp, so take it with a grain of salt.

It could also just be too early for the market--resale prices on the Yaris are still pretty strong, and the xD isn't readily available secondhand. When I look at the Autocross scene, most Honda Civic engine swaps are on cars that are 20+ years old. The original MR2 is 30+ years old, and people are still finding new engines to swap into it

Quote:
...either way Im going to need to purchase another 2zr to test fit with a Yaris transmission. This requires me to spend a couple thousand dollars of my own money to help the entire community progress.
If you can get the stars to align, you may be able to just pull them from a you-wrench-it yard and bolt them up on site--unless you're talking about the full engine bay install and not just the mating of the gearbox to the engine.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #92
fredovvti

Drives: Yaris 07 HB
Me want DIY!!!
fredovvti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #93
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
I'm extremely interested in seeing a DIY for this.

If (when?) my motor goes, I'd seriously consider tossing in a 2ZR and retrofitting my turbo setup to the new motor.

Hell, even if I find a good deal on a motor and the swap isn't too cost / labor intensive, I'd probably pull the trigger anyway.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #94
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Thank you for the feedback.

I dont want to control the information, Ive already created a list of parts needed in the beginning of this discussion. What I want is to use my sponsors help to accumulate the parts needed, and if there is enough interest we can get a better deal...like a group buy. If there is no real interest, then we just move on and hope the next guy that does this swap tries using a Yaris transmission....because that is the only uncertainty as of now.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #95
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I can't remember if this was already answered, but if the Yaris Trans doesn't work then does the 2zr Trans direct fit into a Yaris.

Optimally you'd just keep the stock Yaris Trans and just mount in the new engine. If the price is reasonable then this is something i'd like to do down the road.

Is the stock 2zr really a big gain in performance over the 1nz? I know the hp increase and tq is good but my question is how does it run as a stock engine? I'm trying to get a feel for how a stock 2zr runs compared to my modded NA 1nz. My 1nz is a lot of fun to drive now and I don't want to give that up just for some extra ponies
Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #96
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

The 2zr trans works, its what we used.

Check out post #68, Scott mentioned how well the 2zr performed when he drove the swapped yaris. The gains in stock form are roughly 30hp and 20ftlbs.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #97
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
So there is virtually no downfall to using the 2zr Trans other than a bit of extra work and cost. this looks like it would be an engine swap if all the mounts are the same and wiring is plug and play.

Where I live I wouldn't have to register the engine to pass an etest. As long as there are no CEL's then it's good to go as far as I know
Old 12-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #98
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

When using a 2zr manual transmission you need the xd ABS module and wiring too...because there is no speed sensor on that transmission. Possibly the axles as well, and I think the gear ratios are taller.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #99
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I can't remember if this was already answered, but if the Yaris Trans doesn't work then does the 2zr Trans direct fit into a Yaris.

Optimally you'd just keep the stock Yaris Trans and just mount in the new engine. If the price is reasonable then this is something i'd like to do down the road.

Is the stock 2zr really a big gain in performance over the 1nz? I know the hp increase and tq is good but my question is how does it run as a stock engine? I'm trying to get a feel for how a stock 2zr runs compared to my modded NA 1nz. My 1nz is a lot of fun to drive now and I don't want to give that up just for some extra ponies
Remember now, the 2ZR is the same motor that is in the Yaris TS. So if you want to poke in that thread section for some questions answered, head there.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:55 PM   #100
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
When using a 2zr manual transmission you need the xd ABS module and wiring too...because there is no speed sensor on that transmission. Possibly the axles as well, and I think the gear ratios are taller.
2012+ Yaris does not have a speed sensor on the trans either, pulls it from the ABS tone ring.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #101
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Oh thank you Jason, I didnt know that!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #102
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Yes, if you get the xD gearbox, you need the xD axles. RagNaCat discovered that the differential is the larger one that's similar to the other 1.8L family. Not sure if they're direct swap from a Corolla or Matrix on the axle side, but the Celica and Matrix final drive ring gears go on the xD diff (and not the Yaris/xA/xB).

The speedo sensor hole looks to be the same on all of the C-series gearboxes I've encountered. Looking at the parts diagrams for the xD, the speedo gear is still installed on the differential. If that's the case, you should be able to drop a standard speedo sensor in the hole and keep your Yaris ECU, assuming you have the differential-based speedo in the first place. My 09 has it, and all of the other C-series gearboxes I've torn apart use what appears to be the same part. Looking at the compatibility of the speedo sensor (83181-12020) it's used on lots of stuff: "TOYOTA: 14 models, 905 variants between 1991 and 2013."
Old 12-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #103
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The speedo sensor hole looks to be the same on all of the C-series gearboxes I've encountered. Looking at the parts diagrams for the xD, the speedo gear is still installed on the differential. If that's the case, you should be able to drop a standard speedo sensor in the hole and keep your Yaris ECU, assuming you have the differential-based speedo in the first place. My 09 has it, and all of the other C-series gearboxes I've torn apart use what appears to be the same part. Looking at the compatibility of the speedo sensor (83181-12020) it's used on lots of stuff: "TOYOTA: 14 models, 905 variants between 1991 and 2013."
The speedo hole was there on the 2012, just capped off, but I don't recall the plastic speedo driven gear being on the diff carrier.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #104
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
The speedo hole was there on the 2012, just capped off, but I don't recall the plastic speedo driven gear being on the diff carrier.
Hmm. I guess it wouldn't serve any purpose, since the bearing seats against the diff carrier itself, but it's still shown in the xD parts diagrams.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #105
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
2012+ Yaris does not have a speed sensor on the trans either, pulls it from the ABS tone ring.
This would make the 2zr swap so much easier...are the 2012+ 1nz's using a micro MAF sensor too?....that would be a direct swap with no wiring changes!
Old 12-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #106
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
How do you go about checking if its a micro maf? I'll take a look at mine.
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #107
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
This would make the 2zr swap so much easier...are the 2012+ 1nz's using a micro MAF sensor too?....that would be a direct swap with no wiring changes!
MAF sensor is the same from 2007-2015. The thing that could hurt your swap on a 2012+ is the ECU and harness plugs, they are different. When we built the 2015 it was easier to swap the entire harness from the 2007 versus rewiring. If you can use the Yaris ECU and engine harness on the 2ZR you should be able to put it in any year car.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #108
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Interesting. I dont know that a pre-12' chassis harness would work on a 12+ though...its .not likely due to all of the interior changes. If someone becomes interested, Ill need to get a copy of the 12'+ wiring diagrams to come up with a solution.

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 12-15-2015 at 03:32 PM.