Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #37
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
since the stuff got deleted whats the estimated cost of this ?

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #38
kou

Drives: 08 lb
i think something like $700,but i hope less.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #39
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
That will sell very well for xD owners.......perhaps a caravan down from the NW with all of our owners would help production......LOL......

Patiently waiting for intake.....the 1.5 needs something liek this badly.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #40
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I'm just a bit doubtful if the stock ECU will be able to handle the better induction without throwing a code. It seems to have quite tight operating parameters which it considers "normal".
The prototype was tested and produced the existing dyno chart. Richard has not mentioned any CEL's with the prototype intake manifold. I'm sure he will confirm this one way or another.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #41
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
going supercharged. i wont be needing this anymore. still hope all works ouyt well though

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #42
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I just don't see any reason for the intake to be more than a few hundred dollars. Any of my V8's from Edlebrock cost around $300 to $400, brand new. Granted these were produced on a mass scale, but, it's only a casting issue. Just my .02
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #43
baked_limabeans

Drives: Polar White
don't know if I'm reading it right but the low end is really low compared to "stock."

The area under the curve for the intake manifold looks to be much lower than that of stock so wouldn't that be of less benefit or something.
Not trying to bash the manifold but I was thinking it would increase the numbers along the whole rpm range.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #44
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
Please feel free to ask questions about the intake rather than resort to speculation. The intake offers the gains described by the dyno chart with no CEL and no changes to ECU. There are no programming changes necessary for the intake upgrade. The reason for this is the Yaris motor features a mass air meter which compensates for the additional airflow produced by the resonance tuning. The mass ai rmeter will address the extra airflow and offer the necessary extra fuel flow. The intake upgrade produced the same air/fuel curve as the stock manifold. These gains are not dependant on the CAI, but the combination of the CAI and intake will offer slightly more power than the intake and stock air box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
I'm just a bit doubtful if the stock ECU will be able to handle the better induction without throwing a code. It seems to have quite tight operating parameters which it considers "normal".

Will an aftermarket air filter be necessary, or can you just bolt the stock airbox back in?

Lots of questions but that's because I'm interested in the product. 10whp is too good a gain to turn down if it is plug and play.
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #45
richardholdener

You are reading the graph incorrectly. As indicated by the power curve, the new intake offers better power at every rpm than the stock manifold, from below 2500 rpm to 6500 rpm. Though the most prominent gains come past 5000 rpm, the new intake does offer gains of 4-5 lbs. ft. at 3500rpm and 5-6 lbs. ft. at 4000 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baked_limabeans View Post
don't know if I'm reading it right but the low end is really low compared to "stock."

The area under the curve for the intake manifold looks to be much lower than that of stock so wouldn't that be of less benefit or something.
Not trying to bash the manifold but I was thinking it would increase the numbers along the whole rpm range.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:54 PM   #46
richardholdener

This is an economy of scale question. To produce a casting requires a substantial initail investement in tooling and molds ($30-40,000 for a simple one), then castings and machining cost are dependant on the number of articles produced (the greater the production run the lower the per unit cost). naturally we will not be casting an intake for the Yaris market as we doubt intake sales will justify the investment of $50,000. This means we have to run small production runs of a hand-fabricated (some CNC work) intake-the end result is a more expensive per unit cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
I just don't see any reason for the intake to be more than a few hundred dollars. Any of my V8's from Edlebrock cost around $300 to $400, brand new. Granted these were produced on a mass scale, but, it's only a casting issue. Just my .02
Old 10-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #47
richardholdener

We will provide a test to verify the gains both turbo (and centirfugal supercharged) and NA, as the intake offers power gains on all applications. Contrary to some of the nonsense on the internet, intake design is a function of engine displacement, cam timing and operating rpm. The difference between an intake for a normally aspirated combination and a turbo combination (using the same motor, cam tming and operating speed) is minimal. Again, the intake runs with stock ECU and no CELs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I believe the intake manifold will run on the stock ECU. It's not forced induction, just BETTER induction

And, since it's on the cold side, it would certainly work alongside a turbo application..
Old 10-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #48
richardholdener

This is not entirely accurate, as the intake will offer gains with the stock air box and exhaust. The combination of the intake, CAI and free-flowing exhaust will produce more power than the intake with a stock exhaust and air box, but the intake will still off the same percentage gains with both combinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTREX View Post
If the TB remains in the same position which it think it does you should be able to use the stock airbox.... BUT,, why would you do that? In order to achive the full benefits of an Intake manifold the car will require a performance Intake and Exhaust. Other wise what would be the point to invest on the Intake Mani???
Old 10-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #49
richardholdener

Cost will be $699.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #50
richardholdener

Hope there is no confusion, but the intake for the 1.5L Yaris is different than for the 1.8L Xd (or Yaris TS). I hope the Yaris TS and Xd will share the same design, but I will need to check packaging on TS before we know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzinn 1 View Post
That will sell very well for xD owners.......perhaps a caravan down from the NW with all of our owners would help production......LOL......

Patiently waiting for intake.....the 1.5 needs something liek this badly.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #51
richardholdener

If you are running the Blitz/Greddy then the intake/supercharger combo replace the factory intake. If you are going the Rotrex route, this intake will offer sizable power gains on that application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooppee777 View Post
going supercharged. i wont be needing this anymore. still hope all works ouyt well though
Old 10-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #52
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
so rotrex is making a sc?
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #53
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardholdener View Post
Hope there is no confusion, but the intake for the 1.5L Yaris is different than for the 1.8L Xd (or Yaris TS). I hope the Yaris TS and Xd will share the same design, but I will need to check packaging on TS before we know for sure.
Sorry I meant 1.8......the xD really us under powered for what it weighs.....that is the only complaint about the xD you will hear from owners.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #54
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
"The Rotrex route"... ? need more info!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote