Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
RedStickHam

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Check Engine Light P0455, P0441, P0456

This morning when I started up my Yaris, the Check Engine Light was on. When I got home, I pulled out my OBD2 reader and got these codes in this order.

P0455
P0441
P0441
P0455
P0456

One thing I did do was remove the gas cap and put it back on before driving home, but the light stayed on. Some of my research has already indicated it could be the gas cap, but there are other things it could be because these codes are related to Evaporative Emissions Leaks.

In December at my last inspection, when the gas cap was pressure tested, it failed, even though the check engine light was off then. They sold me a new gas cap for $10 and renewed my inspection for another year.

The car isn't running any different than it normally does, no strange noises, hesitation or anything like that. The car is a 2009 Yaris Hatchback 5spd with 34,000 miles on it.

Anyone else had this problem?

RedStickHam
RedStickHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
yaris4062007

Drives: 07 BB yaris / 06 Mustang Gt
Reset it with scan guage , my minivan check engine light comes up i just reset it. Car runs normal :).
yaris4062007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Well resetting it wont make the problem go away it just resets the computer and the system monitors the problem is still going to be there and the light will eventually come back on usually about after 100 miles of driving when the evap monitor is set again.

I noticed you stated that they sold you a gas cap. Id highly recommend getting a oem one from the dealer as some of the aftermarket ones are universal and designed to fit multiple cars and sometimes can cause problems still even when they look good and tight as a place to start if you have evap codes.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That series of codes indicates that the system lost pressure while doing the evaporative check that the system initiates when the car has been powered off for 5 hours.

It very well could be the gas cap, but also could be the Purge VSVm or the canister itself, or the lines between the VSV (under the hood) and the canister (at the rear of the car).

You won't see any obvious effects, as this whole thing is purely a vapor recovery system, and unless the primary vacuum hose to the VSV fails, you will never see it effect how the car runs.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Time to check the Canister. Check the holes around it first.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That series of codes indicates that the system lost pressure while doing the evaporative check that the system initiates when the car has been powered off for 5 hours.

It very well could be the gas cap, but also could be the Purge VSVm or the canister itself, or the lines between the VSV (under the hood) and the canister (at the rear of the car).

You won't see any obvious effects, as this whole thing is purely a vapor recovery system, and unless the primary vacuum hose to the VSV fails, you will never see it effect how the car runs.
So it wont hurt the car to run it?

Is it true most of the error codes wont hurt the car if not fixed?

What error codes should we be worried about in terms of dammaging something?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
So it wont hurt the car to run it?

Is it true most of the error codes wont hurt the car if not fixed?

What error codes should we be worried about in terms of dammaging something?

Thanks!
Correct - That slew of codes will not prevent you from running and you will only "hurt the environment" by running with them.

Codes related to anything other than the evaporative emissions system would be ones you would worry about.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
RedStickHam

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Update:

I drove the car on Saturday and Sunday and it ran fine, but the light stayed on. This morning I started the car up to drive to work and the light was off. I wonder if the gas cap just didn't seal properly last time I filled the car. I had filled the car on Wednesday of last week and the light came on Friday.

I may have flakey gas cap and probably should replace it with an OEM gas cap. Nice to know it isn't too serious.

RedStickHam
RedStickHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
autoexpert1
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris
Hi,
OBD2 is the best tool to find error codes..
Now after this you should check engine codes details...

autoexpert1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, p0441, p0455, p0456