Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #19
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
I asked the seller of the meter to explain more about this "coding" he talks about. Here is what he said:

"I mean it will still have all it's old cars information in it so when you put it in your car all kinds of faults can show up, all I think it needs done is to be immobilised and made compatible with your car"

So how does one immobilise the meter
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeM View Post
I asked the seller of the meter to explain more about this "coding" he talks about. Here is what he said:

"I mean it will still have all it's old cars information in it so when you put it in your car all kinds of faults can show up, all I think it needs done is to be immobilised and made compatible with your car"

So how does one immobilise the meter
He has absolutely no clue. The only vehicle specific data on the cluster is the odometer reading and even that is really not vehicle specific as it will show the same value if you move it to a different car.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:35 AM   #21
JudgeM

Yea it doesn't make sense ah. I will let him know and I definitely take your advice over his without even blinking. Also, none of the other sellers I asked for meters mentioned anything about coding.

I'll give this meter one more go in my car. If I still have these weird problems then I will try to return it and get another one from someone else.

Thanks CTscott for the advice.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #22
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I never noticed that for the Sedans that you get the same connectors as the liftback. On that giant connector D76 on the US sedan there are many unused pins, so it is not like the US one has many other connections to it.

I believe that a US one with the correct connector and lengthening the wires to reach the opposite sides would work fine.
Great, thanks Scott, although the "lengthening of the wires" isn't necessary as we are LHD here too. Yup, the sedans and hatchbacks here have the same plugs here, and so do your hatchbacks there. (was actually surprised why, and your sedans don't)

Sorry OP for a bit of hijacking the thread.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #23
JudgeM

Thanks CTscott for the information. I will try to return the meter to the seller and get another one from someone else. The meter also had a bit of cosmetic damage due to transit.

I've put up a video for all to see of the problems I had with this meter:

http://youtu.be/sZDzyRVeh8g
Old 05-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #24
Mareo

Drives: Yaris M2 1.0
Instrument cluster 0D660D swap

Hi All, I think this post might be really helpful for me.

I need to convert my European Yaris MK2 to the UK specifications: this means (unfortunately ) that I need to replace my actual speedometer. Its number is 83800-0D660-D, for a 1.0l petrol 3dr 2007 Yaris with manual transmission.
I've checked for second hand UK speedometers and there are different types both digital (numbers 83800-0D650D or *0D650 or *0D490D or *0D680D) and analogic (mainly 83800-0DG60).
In any case I need to extend the cable to fit the new connections but I'm really afraid that the single pins will not correspond similarly between the European and the UK speedometers.
Then my main concerns/questions are:
- which is the best part number that matches with my 0D660-D, or do I need to match the same engine displacement, doors, gearbox?
- Is there any pin wiring conversion I need to consider when cabling the new speedometer?
- If I buy a new digital UK speedometer it will display the speed pointing toward the right seat, while my car is left-hand drive. Is it possible to use my LHD speedometer framework (I've already disassembled my actual one and there is a mirror inside)? If not, is it possible to buy an analogic speedometer without any problem in the wiring connection (i.e. different pin locations and cabling)?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matteo
Mareo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #25
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareo View Post
Hi All, I think this post might be really helpful for me.

I need to convert my European Yaris MK2 to the UK specifications: this means (unfortunately ) that I need to replace my actual speedometer. Its number is 83800-0D660-D, for a 1.0l petrol 3dr 2007 Yaris with manual transmission.
I've checked for second hand UK speedometers and there are different types both digital (numbers 83800-0D650D or *0D650 or *0D490D or *0D680D) and analogic (mainly 83800-0DG60).
In any case I need to extend the cable to fit the new connections but I'm really afraid that the single pins will not correspond similarly between the European and the UK speedometers.
Then my main concerns/questions are:
- which is the best part number that matches with my 0D660-D, or do I need to match the same engine displacement, doors, gearbox?
- Is there any pin wiring conversion I need to consider when cabling the new speedometer?
- If I buy a new digital UK speedometer it will display the speed pointing toward the right seat, while my car is left-hand drive. Is it possible to use my LHD speedometer framework (I've already disassembled my actual one and there is a mirror inside)? If not, is it possible to buy an analogic speedometer without any problem in the wiring connection (i.e. different pin locations and cabling)?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Matteo
Definitely avoid the digital one, as it will point in the wrong direction and not be visible from the driver's seat.

For the Analog ones, the key is the match the year and features (traction control, ABS, etc.) of your car.

The UK and European ones have the connectors in the same place, so you will not have to extend the harness.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #26
Mareo

Thanks a lot CTScott.

Actually I can only find Analog speedometers of 2010 or 2011 for 1.3l petrol and 1.4l diesel, all 5 door cars (mine is a 1.0l 3doors). Do you think it may fit my specifications?

Unfortunately it's a shame that I cannot use an UK digital speedometer, it's plenty of it.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #27
Mareo

Forgot to specify that the code for the 1.3l petrol is 83800-0DG30 and the seller states it's for a Mk2 Yaris (like mine).

Matteo
Old 05-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #28
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The diesel has some different indicators which will remain on, so you would want to use the 1.3l. There won't be an issue with the different number of doors.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:51 PM   #29
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
I have both European and UK digital clusters, im fine with the kilometers only European one, but iv been toying with merging the two, and have miles (albeit, the speedometer section will be on the right of the tachometer)

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #30
Mareo

Thanks for your info, I've just bought and received an analog cluster (83800-0DG30). It works fine but the "High engine coolant temperature" light is always on. Do you know any reason for that?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2016, 07:14 PM   #31
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks for your info, I've just bought and received an analog cluster (83800-0DG30). It works fine but the "High engine coolant temperature" light is always on. Do you know any reason for that?

Thanks
The instrument cluster gets the engine temperature from the ECM by CAN bus message, so it is very strange that the light is always on. Does the "cool" light come on when you turn the key on?
Old 06-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #32
fpanczel

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2006 1.0 VVT-i
Hello,

If I want to change my VFD speedometer (Yaris 2006) with one newer from (yaris 2009) - I need also the immobilizer?

Thanks,
fpanczel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #33
Mareo

Quote:
The instrument cluster gets the engine temperature from the ECM by CAN bus message, so it is very strange that the light is always on. Does the "cool" light come on when you turn the key on?
Hi CTScott, unfortunately not, the "cool" light was always off while the "hot" one on.
It's odd that when swapped to my original speedo and I turned the key on, the "hot" ligth appeared for 1sec and then was replaced by the (correct) "cool" ligth.

Do you think there was something wrong in the ECM? I don't think so because I suppose the speedometer is just receiving signals not sending to the ECM (am I right?).

Do you think the new speedometer is not calibrated properly and reads the same CAN signal as the original speedo but with a different range cool-hot?

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to swap again to the new speedo and check if the light is still on. Do you have any alternative in case it's still there?

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:55 PM   #34
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hi CTScott, unfortunately not, the "cool" light was always off while the "hot" one on.
It's odd that when swapped to my original speedo and I turned the key on, the "hot" ligth appeared for 1sec and then was replaced by the (correct) "cool" ligth.

Do you think there was something wrong in the ECM? I don't think so because I suppose the speedometer is just receiving signals not sending to the ECM (am I right?).

Do you think the new speedometer is not calibrated properly and reads the same CAN signal as the original speedo but with a different range cool-hot?

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to swap again to the new speedo and check if the light is still on. Do you have any alternative in case it's still there?

Thanks.

Hopefully the issue is that your coolant temp sensor is actually bad. I have experimented with clusters from other regions and the temperature lights always worked correctly, as the cluster just receives a CAN bus signal from the ECM with the temperature. Definitely not an ECM issue.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #35
Mareo

Quote:
Hopefully the issue is that your coolant temp sensor is actually bad. I have experimented with clusters from other regions and the temperature lights always worked correctly, as the cluster just receives a CAN bus signal from the ECM with the temperature. Definitely not an ECM issue.
Hi CTScott, I don't know the reason but now the light is off.
So it looks like everything is working fine.
Thanks again,
Matteo
Old 11-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #36
nodi

Drives: Yaris
Hi all, sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm facing exactly the same issues as the original poster, so I thought I'd give it a go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
I have both European and UK digital clusters, im fine with the kilometers only European one, but iv been toying with merging the two, and have miles (albeit, the speedometer section will be on the right of the tachometer)
ezhacker1, how did you go about merging the clusters? Are these analog clusters? [edit - cancel that question, you said they're digital]

I have to convert my Yaris to MPH, since unfortunately the instrument cluster is one of those digital LHD European ones that don't have the km/h <-> mph switching option.

I bought a digital UK RHD cluster and I tried swapping over the control board (that small PCB sandwiched onto the big main one, with the µC / eeprom on it). It worked, sort of, the status indicators etc. worked fine, but the digital speed / RPM display sections were totally garbled. I'm guessing the routing to the actual VFD is different (the VFD is also mirrored, no chance of swapping those).

I suppose I could simply fit the entire RHD cluster in my car, but firstly I'd then have to extend the connector wires, since the connectors are also mirrored - a tedious task - and secondly that would make reading the speed from the driver's seat quite difficult. I wouldn't mind that so much, but the MOT tester probably would.

Any pointers on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

I would also be perfectly happy with an analog cluster, even one that is km/h only (as on analog ones you can simply apply an adhesive overlay for mph). Just not sure if there's one available in Europe that actually fits my Yaris.

Cheers
nodi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cluster, digital, gauges, intsrument