Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2017, 04:03 AM   #1
smurfette06

Drives: 06 Toyota Yaris
Tail light problem 06 model

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone can help with a tail light issue. They are not working but all other lights are working.

I have checked all fuses under the bonnet and the glove compartment.
I have also checked the bulbs and the switch connection on the steering column.

I was told that there may be a relay somewhere, but I am not sure on the location or what I am looking for.

Other than that, any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

It is a 1.3lt 2006 hatchback.
TIA
smurfette06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Use a test light to test for power & ground at the tail lights sockets, then test at the flexable wiring loom that goes to the hatch.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
smurfette06

There is no power at the light bulb connection coming from the wiring. All fuses are in tact. Not sure if it is a connection at the front of the vehicle, or where it may attach to the fuse box. Thanks for your help
Old 02-27-2017, 03:22 AM   #4
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
The taillights are powered by the T-LP relay and Tail fuse which are located in the interior fuse panel or main body ecu located under the dash on the drivers side behind the coin holder. The license plate lights are powered by the same fuse and relay, so if they are out it's most likely the fuse or relay.

Last edited by B.B._07; 02-27-2017 at 07:44 PM.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
smurfette06

Thanks for the reply. Have pulled each of the relays out,(from behind the glove compartment), they are sitting at 165 ohms when I tested them. Is there are truth to the suggestion, they should be resisting between 50-120 ohms max, otherwise replace? I really have no idea what else to do. I can not locate anything which has T-LP on it? Any suggestion as to its location would be awesome. Thank you
Old 03-02-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
smurfette06

Just following on, I can confirm that their is power at the 10 Amp Tail light fuse in the main ecu. No power is getting to the wiring loom from the ecu/Tail light relay though. After bypassing the wiring loom and directing 12v to the tail light the bulb lit up, but also triggered the "lights left on' reminder on the dash. We have wired up a secondary relay to install between the 10amp fuse and the tail light wiring around the side kick panel near the ecu.
Just need to find out which wire is running from tail to ecu, and how it splits over to the control switch on the stick.
Also if anyone has any wiring diagram of the tail lights, as the right hand side is getting a separate feed, seems to be down the drivers side.

Any thoughts on this idea would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to avoid replacing the ecu, and finally get some power into my tailights.

Kind Regards,
Old 03-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #7
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
This is the wiring diagram from the factory service manual which leaves a lot to be desired. But it appears the T-LP relay is not an issue since it's supplying power to the Tail fuse and yours checks out. If you spliced in another power wire to the effected light and it works that would suggest it's not an ground issue. I would still recommend using a test light to check out the effected light to be absolutely certain it's a power or ground problem. If it's a power issue then you have no choice but to trace the wire back from the taillight connector to the Tail fuse.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yaris_TLights_Diagram.pdf (50.3 KB, 160 views)
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote