Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #1
Buckethead

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
How often should I wash my car?

I tell you these goddamn birds are on a rampage!!!

Hand washed the car myself yesterday, and waxed it using the new turtle wax clear ice, (which rules). Little fuckers shit on it this morning...
Once a week, twice a week? What about waxing, how much is too much? I don't wanna wear out the new paint job... Another friend of mine said that I was overthinking the paint job. He said new paint should last 7 years.. That true?
I almost punched him in the face for that.

Thanks!
Buckethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
California... searing heat. Acid rain. I'd say your paint is doomed no matter what, haha. I was told to wash the car once every couple of weeks or so and be very careful about rain on the day I wash because rain on a completely clean car not only makes it dirty right away, but it is not good for your paint. As far as waxing, twice a year... once in spring and once in fall to prep for seasonal change. You can probably go less than that because you don't have seasons, haha. God I miss Santa Clarita.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Buckethead

Really? Damn. These birds are bombing me back to the stone age. The part that sucks is wiping the crap off, of course, smears the finish. The wax finish that is. Didn't know you only wax twice a year. . Twice a year doesn't seem much.

Oh well

Old 08-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Yup.. wax 2x a year,..

I use to wash the car once a week,.. but that gets to be a little much... once every 2-3 weeks is good...
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
Kr0n1k

Drives: AE101 Prizm('07 Yaris 3DR TBA)
A nice Airsoft rifle and good aim could solve your bird problem.
Kr0n1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I wash the car once a week, usually every Saturday or sunday morning around 6:30-7am
Before the sun is high and the car is hot to reduce water spots.

In the past I used Zaino, but for the yaris I'm just using Meguairs (sp?)

I wax my cars about 4 times a year, once every 3 months.
When I wash I use two wash mits, one for the top and another for the rockers, wheels and fender edges etc.
After I dry the car I use a quick detailer spray and go over the entire paint to help restor the shine until my next waxing.

Always use a car wash soap and wash you wash mits in a washing machine before you re-use them to remove any grit. but do not use fabric softener in it will streak the paint.

I use Dupli-color SHEILD (clear) on the fron bumber, mirrors and hood and it really helps reduce the amount of crud and bugs stuck to the car and reduces washing time a lot. All the crud you normally have to scrub off the car washes off easily with no scrubbing.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
Really? Damn. These birds are bombing me back to the stone age. The part that sucks is wiping the crap off, of course, smears the finish. The wax finish that is. Didn't know you only wax twice a year. . Twice a year doesn't seem much.

Oh well

be careful when cleaning the bird stuff off. Birds will eat tiny rocks and stuff for ruffage and it may actually scratch the paint. Dont ask me how I know
Old 08-08-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Hand washed the car myself yesterday, and waxed it using the new turtle wax clear ice
I do the exact same, about 2x a week. Remember, I commute a LOT, so it gets dirty quick... besides, I dont mind it.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
Buckethead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
I do the exact same, about 2x a week. Remember, I commute a LOT, so it gets dirty quick... besides, I dont mind it.

The washing and waxing twice a week, or just the washing?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #10
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
I wash the car once a week, usually every Saturday or sunday morning around 6:30-7am
Before the sun is high and the car is hot to reduce water spots.

In the past I used Zaino, but for the yaris I'm just using Meguairs (sp?)

I wax my cars about 4 times a year, once every 3 months.
When I wash I use two wash mits, one for the top and another for the rockers, wheels and fender edges etc.
After I dry the car I use a quick detailer spray and go over the entire paint to help restor the shine until my next waxing.

Always use a car wash soap and wash you wash mits in a washing machine before you re-use them to remove any grit. but do not use fabric softener in it will streak the paint.

I use Dupli-color SHEILD (clear) on the fron bumber, mirrors and hood and it really helps reduce the amount of crud and bugs stuck to the car and reduces washing time a lot. All the crud you normally have to scrub off the car washes off easily with no scrubbing.

GOOD INFO! especially rewashing your wash mitts after evertime you wash your car AND using 2 different wash mitts ONE FOR UP HIGh and one for DOWN LOW (gritty). MORE THAN THAT, I ALWAYS HAVE 2 WASH BUCKETS, 1 with soap, 1 with just water to rinse off my wash mitts after everytime you touch your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts
be careful when cleaning the bird stuff off. Birds will eat tiny rocks and stuff for ruffage and it may actually scratch the paint. Dont ask me how I know
You think YOU have it bad, I have a family of owls living in the trees above my driveway. You think small stones are bad, how about Mouse Bones??
Old 08-09-2006, 07:44 AM   #11
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
The washing and waxing twice a week, or just the washing?
I wash twice, wax once with the ICE.. being its just so damn easy to apply!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 AM   #12
Buckethead

Quote:

Excellent. Then I don't feel to bad!

Cool, thanks for the feedback.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #13
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
I washed it once a week but I know once I get busy with school, I'll barelly have time to drive it so who knows when I'll wash it.
Anyway, I used some or another wax-as-you-dry spray bottles (the one I've been using lately is a Dupont one). On my next car wash I might go with a full wax just because the car is brand new and I want to go give some extra protection, but for the effort I might order one clear bra off Ebay and give it the extra protection which should be better than wax.. *sigh* who knows... I love my frog too much (frog= my HB Yaris )
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #14
sroberts

Do you guys recommend waxing the Yaris as soon as you get it or waiting 6 months?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #15
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts
Do you guys recommend waxing the Yaris as soon as you get it or waiting 6 months?
Your car come's with ZERO PROTECTION on the paint from Toyota!

I always recomend getting a wash and wax in ASAP.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:44 AM   #16
sroberts

Quote:

Thanks!! I will do it this weekend. I havent had a new car in years so I am out of touch on waxes. Which brand is the best these days?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #17
makelikemorning

Drives: 2007 Barcelona Red Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Hey Chris... I went out and bought the Turtle Wax Ice on your recommendation. That stuff is fantastic! My Yaris went from looking new to looking like it belongs in a Toyota ad in thirty minutes. One question, though: Should I apply it twice a year like a traditional wax or more often?
makelikemorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:29 AM   #18
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:

It's all about the Porter Cable 7424 , klasse all in one and S100. Anything less would be uncivilized. oh, and only microfiber towels.

Btw, if you wash your car a lot, you might be doing more damage than good.